“remodeling, and not very nice” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Fort Collins, Colorado
“remodeling, and not very nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

It was an ok place for us to go the night before our cruise. Definitely overpriced for the shabby, dated rooms that smelled like air freshener covering up old smell. They need to rip out the old carpet and update, which they are in the process of doing which is great for them, but not for our recent stay. The lobby is over 50% closed off and torn up, so it wasn't a great place for our family to hang out in the evening or for the mediocre morning breakfast. The plus' are the comfortable beds and the outdoor pool area with seating, although you can hear and see the traffic noise from the busy road and highway. The hotel was walking to many restaurants and a shopping center. The staff is Very nice and the hotel will be a much better place when the remodeling is done.

Room Tip: main floor is best if you don't want to wait for any elevator for the cruise shuttle.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I hope the lobby refresh wasn't too much of an inconvenience for you. We have done our best to make accommodations for all of our travelers with additional covered seating out by our pool and in our meeting space. However, I understand the lobby can seem crowded even without a remodel due to all of our cruise port and airport guests, so your patience is appreciated as well as your kind comments regarding our staff.

I am happy to say that the lobby refresh is 90% complete and work has temporaily halted until after the holidays for the convenience of our guests.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,

Kevin McKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Beavercreek, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here the night before we boarded a Royal Caribbean Cruise. I felt the price of our stay was extremely over priced, considering we payed $180 for one night. The hotel was currently doing construction to the main lobby area, causing it to be very small and crowded. No pop machines in the hallways even though there are signs pointing to an area where they are supposed to be causing you to have to go to the main lobby and buy a bottle of pop for $2.50 each. Tons of Ants all over the counters and tables in our rooms. Only one pizza restaurant will deliver to this hotel and charges a $5.00 delivery fee. The staff was very friendly and my Wife and I did sleep very well due to the beds being extremely comfortable. Hoping the problems we experienced were due to the construction. We would maybe stay here again once construction is completed and hopefully prices drop.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Springhill Suites and thank you for your compliments regarding the staff and your feedback regarding the hotel. I'm very sorry your experience wasn't everything you had hoped or have come to expect with all Marriott hotels. While the timing of our lobby refresh is unfortunate, my staff and I are very excited about the new look of our public space once the update is comlpleted this month. I hope you and the rest of our valued guests are as well.

My maintenance staff have addressed the issue you reported in your room. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can about the location of our vending area. However, I am ordering replacement signage to indicate more clearly the lobby location of our Market.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I sincerely hope you and yours have a happy and healthy holiday season.

Warm regards,

Springfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Front desk staff was disorganized at check in. The carpets are worn/dirty and the rooms could use a lot of updating. The air conditioner was noisy. I would stay at another hotel the next time I fly in to Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Springhill Suites and for your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept my apologies that the staff and the property did not exceed your expectations. Please feel free to reach out to me here at the hotel with additonal concerns or feedback. Perhaps we can find a way to rectify this situation.

Standish, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I chose this hotel because of it's location and I got a great rate. Let me start by saying my son stayed here about 1 month ago because he took a cruise. This hotel offers free shuttle service to the port. The hotel also allowed his car to be parked during his time away, at a very reasonable rate. I had a family situation and decided to also stay at this hotel, as well. My plane arrived after 11pm. I was picked up be a nice young man who was very personable and helped with my bags, free of charge (this was actually the third reason why I stayed here - I needed a place that would pick me up late a night). I will also add the staff are very friendly. Jeremiah checked me in. He acknowledged my Gold Elite status up front. This made me feel special. They also offered a free breakfast - which fit my needs - though it was just average. I ate my breakfast outside in the pool area. the highway was directly behind this area - and this noise was very loud. This hotel is lovely on the outside. They are undergoing renovations on the inside. I would not say the hotel is dirty - but it is certainly showing it's age. My room was a handicapped accessible room - I was guaranteed a King Suite - but the only ones left were handicapped rooms. The other 2 people checking in before me - encountered the same issue. All of us took these rooms, because we wanted King beds. The only difference, according to Jeremiah, was that they had handle bars in the tub. The shower stall had a lot of cracks in it. The shower head is one of the removable kind. When I turned the shower off, the shower head fell and almost hit me in the head. I did catch it, but it was heavy. As I left the shower, it fell again and it landed hard in the tub. This hazard could certainly have hurt someone or a small child. The other concern I had, was my room was facing the highway. The noise was extremely disturbing I did not get a good night's sleep. Because of the noise, I wish I was notified of room placement - I would have optioned for a different room. Also, the room description notes a "pillow top" mattress. This was not the case with my mattress. Overall, it was an average hotel. However, the friendliness of the staff certainly made the stay pleasant. Because of my low rate and how accommodating they were for my son's car and my personal situation - I did not complain. The room also had a small section with a microwave, counter and fridge. I checked out shortly after my breakfast, as I had to deal with my family situation. I did visit Ft. Lauderdale Beach Park - which was only a 10 minutes drive from the hotel. The big question - would I stay here again - we stay exclusively at Marriott's - if the rate is good, I can overlook the tiredness of the rooms and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from the highway. Also choose a high floor. I could hear people walking abov...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed your interactions with the staff members and thank you for mentioning Jeremiah. He is highly thought of here at the hotel and is considered an asset to our team.

I apologize that you were less than pleased with the age and overall condition of the property. It may help to know that we are tentatively scheduled to update our rooms sometime in the early part of 2014. Perhaps we'll have the opportunity to serve you again afterward. I certainly hope so.

The Villages, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I choose this hotel due to its location to the airport for a morning flight. It is in dire need of a total re-make. Not up to Marriott standards. Overall very dirty everywhere. We were very disappointed. It is in a good location with plenty of food choices nearby. Right on the freeway so luckily we got a room on the other side.
They are fixing up the lobby area currently but it will take a lot to rehab the entire property.
Front desk staff were very friendly.
There are other new properties close by that I would choose next time.

Room Tip: Ask for side of parking lot vice freeway side.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VLHessel
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm sorry you found the experience with us less than satisfactory. Perhaps if you contact me here at the hotel, we can find a way to rectify it.

Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We arrived at the SpringHill Suites around 10:00am on a Sunday after returning from a cruise. We had a 4:00pm afternoon flight and just wanted to find a place to relax for a few hours. I was told a week before that early check in would be ok, however upon arrival at the hotel, I was informed that there was no room available. After I told the front desk that I was Platinum Elite with Marriott, they found a room right a way. Gave me a couple of bottles of water and was on my way to my room. The room was nice and clean. For a few hours I was in the pool area. The noise of the highway along side the hotel was loud at times. The pool area was fine, towels were plenty. The lobby was under renovation. Had to make a reservation for the shuttle service to the airport. The front desk staff was helpful. After a quick shower and a short wait for the shuttle we were off to the airport. I can see how the hotel needs to update the hall ways, elevators, public restrooms, breakfast area. I would stay here again if I need a airport hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay with us and you would consider staying with us again. I'm especially pleased to get a positive review from one our Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards members such as yourself.

Thank you again and we hope to see you the next time you're in the area.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The rooms here are ok, would not want to stay here more than one night, the hotel is right next to in the interstate, the carpets could us a good cleaning - the front desk was very helpful - This hotel has taken a beating, I am sure it gets a lot of business being that close to the airport and the interstate. I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bubba086
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad you found our front desk staff helpful. I agree that the rooms could use an update and I'm happy to say we are scheduled for a rooms refresh early next year. In the meantime our top priority is that our guests are comfortable and our rooms are clean. Perhaps once the Refresh happens you'll consider staying with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port

Been to SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!