“Nice overnight visit”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
TN
“Nice overnight visit”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were driving 10+ hours to Orlando and didn't want to pay Disney prices for that first night, so we booked this hotel via Travelocity. I then called and requested late check-in since we wouldn't be leaving until after lunch. Our departure got pushed further back than expected so I called and told them it would be close to midnight before we arrived. I was a little anxious that the person didn't seem to be looking up our reservation but just assured me it was fine. Due to additional delays (including an interstate closure and detour) we finally arrived at 3am. The front desk person was alert and let me in without my having to ring the bell. Our room was 2 queen beds and mini fridge as expected. The room was clean and comfortable. The free breakfast the next morning was not "cook to order" but it was certainly a step above "continental". They had cereal, biscuits and bagels, fresh fruit, a pancake machine (press a button and 1 minute later 2 fresh pancakes slide out), scrambled eggs and egg/cheese omelets. There were probably more options, but in my sleep deprived state, that's the part I remember. The pool looked nice and well kept from a distance. As soon as we ate we checked out to head to our Disney hotel for the week, so we didn't try it or any other amenities. The staff that we encountered were all very friendly. When we left, we were at Disney in about 15 minutes.

If you aren't paying attention (or if it's 3am and you are just wanting to go to sleep) it's easy to drive past Hotel Drive. It looks like it is going to be at the street light, but it was actually the street just before the light. But it's easy to see as you go past it, so it makes a fairly easy turn around to get back to it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here for three days and two nights. Hotel is clean, clean rooms with free internet and free parking. Provides complimentary breakfast but not much of options. This place is near to LEGOLAND and was very convenient for us to travel. Staff is friendly......

Room Tip: Any room is fine I guess...........
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deepa_Kesavanunni
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The price was right!!

The staff was outstanding. Check in was so friendly, and night desk clerk was very helpful in dinner recommendation.

Liked the chocolate chip cookies without nuts!!

The breakfast was outstanding.

The hotel and rooms were clean. The pool and deck area were acceptable.

The a/c was a little loud, but got used to it. Also, woke up at 4:15 when some truck in the parking lot was backing up. Need to make windows over front of hotel a little more sound proof.

Printer in business center was not working. Had to use front desk computer to print out boarding pass.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel is clean, safe, friendly staff, free parking, free internet, and provides a nice free breakfast. The bed unfortunately is rock hard and the sheets and blanket feel cheap and rough. I could NOT hear my neighbors, could slightly hear the highway, the only real noise disturbance came from the air conditioner which was intermittent but still super annoying and woke me up every time. This is definitely a good value for the price i paid for it but I would not pick this hotel again even for the same rate. I'll gladly pay more for a nicer bed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando South-Davenport, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear bunnyhlub,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. We’re glad to know you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and the level of service you received from our friendly staff.

Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and we are committed in providing a secure environment. We’re sorry that the bed quality did not meet your standards and that the air conditioner in your room was a let down. Your feedback is highly appreciated as this gives us the opportunity to avoid any inconvenience and improve on our guest satisfaction. If there is anything that we can do to make your next stay more pleasurable, please do not hesitate to ask the manager on duty.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa Bay
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We needed lodging close to the hospital in Haines City, FL and chose the Holiday Inn Express in Davenport, FL. This is a very rural area outside of Orlando. The rate was higher than advertised on the Internet, however, they gave us a $5 discount for being a AAA member. Check-in was slow as one employee was handling a difficult phone caller and other check-ins while another two employees seemed oblivious that there was a line. It got better from there.

The room was clean and comfortable, much better than the Holiday Inn of years ago. Breakfast buffet (self serve) was complete and changed from day to day. Quality and variety were excellent.

No complaints other than; please clean the hallway carpet on the 4th floor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Was in town for a family Spring Break trip to WDW and decided I'd rather save money with a little inconvenience by staying off-resort. I do not regret this decision in the slightest, all thanks to Holiday Inn Express.

There are not many complaints I can make about this hotel. We arrived a little after 4pm on a Saturday and were promptly checked in. The clerk at the desk was very courteous and friendly and she made sure we were well-informed of the locations of all the amenities as well as the hours for breakfast and it's location. Since most stand-alone, non-downtown HIE locations are similarly designed, nothing was a surprise.

The room was spacious. Two queen beds separated by a fairly-wide nightstand, a plush chair, executive desk with chair, and entertainment center/dresser filled out the room, and the mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker were recessed in the wall next to the closet by the front door. The bathroom was of typical size, with plenty of counter space (and even some nice spots under the counter to store toiletries as well). I don't know if it was broken or not, but the fan did not once come on when we were in the bathroom, no matter how many switches we flipped. That led to fogged mirrors real quick.

The beds were decent. The mattresses felt pretty firm (just how I like them) and they provided plenty of pillows with the VERY HELPFUL firmness type embroidered on the pillow cases. I had originally stated in the reservation that we wanted foam pillows only as I am the only one who likes a feather pillow, but there was only 2 foam pillows in our room. A quick trip to the front desk fixed that.

The pool looked pretty average for HIE, meaning a bit on the small side. Pool hours were, oddly enough, dawn to dusk, instead of set hours, and since our time at the actual hotel was going to be very brief with our packed itinerary, that meant that swimming was going to be at a minimum. It had rained really bad on our way into town so when our youngest decided to go for a dip that evening as it was really our only chance, she got out real quick as the water was too cold to enjoy and the rain-chilled air set her teeth chattering. So I can't comment much on the pool other than to say there is one.

There are 2 elevators centrally-located in the building. Our room was right next to it and we never heard the noise so the walls, at least next to the elevator, are well-insulated. They were a bit on the slow side, but they were wide enough to fit a luggage cart AND 2 people, so that was nice.

The breakfast area contained all the standard fare. Various cereals, breads and pastries, bananas and apples, a refrigerated case filled with milk, yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs, juice machine, and then the hot foods area that held biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage (or bacon depending on when you get there), and cinnamon rolls. They also had a coffee station and next to that, the pancake machine (!). While most of the food was pretty good, my biggest complaint was the scrambled eggs. Each time we ate, there was an abundance of over-cooked eggs. At first I thought it was an egg casserole with sausage and cheese, but when I took a better look, the dark parts turned out not to be sausage, but burnt eggs. Brown to the point of being disgusting. Each day the eggs were like this so I don't know if someone doesn't know how to prepare the eggs or really thinks this is an acceptable way to cook scrambled eggs but it most certainly is not. Even an omelet has less browning.

The rest of the breakfast area was accommodating. There are plenty of tables/chairs and several couches to sit at. A big flat screen TV adorns the back wall above the requisite fireplace and is visible by all to watch the news or, after breakfast, can be changed to view whatever people in the room prefer.

Parking was another low-light. While there is sufficient parking for the hotel patrons, because of the placement of the hotel, there isn't any parking available along the side of back of the building. This made spots nearest the hotel a hot commodity. I don't mind the walk, but I get nervous about my van being located further back in a poorly-lit parking lot. Too easy for someone to break in and not be seen.

There really isn't much to say about the lobby other than it has 2 chairs in it.

The hotel doesn't offer shuttle service, but it's only about a 10 minute drive from the parks so it really wasn't a big deal to be "so far away from it all" as my friend kept saying to me. The area around the hotel isn't some destitute "No Man's Land" devoid of life. There are two gas stations to choose from at the entrance to the road the hotel is on (one of which is VERY SNEAKY with their unleaded gas price. It may look like it matches the price across the street, but that's only if you use cash or have their discount card), and several chain fast food and casual restaurants just down the road. Across I-4 is a decent-sized strip mall with a big box discount store as an anchor store. You are not without choices for food and shopping, that's for sure. US 27 is a divided highway here and getting in and out is a little bit tricky. If you're heading south on 27, you have to go over the interstate to the south of the hotel to the next light and make a U-Turn and head back north over the interstate to get to the entrance. When you leave, if you want to go south to Orlando/WDW you will need to first head north through 1 stop light (U-Turn not allowed at this light for whatever reason), then make a U-Turn at the second stop light to head back south. It was rather frustrating to go through this cumbersome setup, but since the road is right next to the stoplight that the exit ramp for I-4 is, I understand the reason for it.

All told, I was very satisfied with this hotel. It hit all the right notes and the few little annoyances were merely that and nothing to worry about. I would suggest perhaps setting real hours for the pool to something like 8am to 11pm instead of dawn to dusk, as that allows for more time during the spring and fall months to swim as dusk when we were there was just before 8:30pm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pdj79
Chiang Mai
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed here before we went to Sun N Fun. It was a good, very clean Holiday Inn Express and was quite busy when we were there. The staff was friendly and courteous. Breakfast was what one would expect at a HI Express.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Comfort Inn & Suites Maingate South
Quality Inn Maingate South
Quality Inn Maingate South
#8 of 14 in Davenport
Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Orlando South-Davenport? Share your experiences!