“We came back, and still loved this hotel”

Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We came back again, and this resort is still the best! We were not happy with being on the 2nd floor this time, but other than that, the resort, the restaurants and the people are super. We will come back again not because of the Disney Parks, because of the resort. I hope they stay around for a very long time.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate

Reviewed 28 July 2011

The grounds of this resort are absolutely beautiful and very impressive! I was able to get a 4 night stay through Priceline for less than $100 per night! However, I guess I am more amenable to less expensive properties that actually give you more value than here. I was on a limited budget and thoroughly researched my costs up-front and had the exact amount of money I needed for this trip and no extra!! Upon check-in, I was NOT prepared to be treated like I was a second class citizen, but that is how I felt -- I had a debit card tied to my bank account, but not a credit card, and I did not want them to use it for any "incidentals" or the daily resort fees (which, by the way were outrageous and on top of that, with tax added on!)-- I wanted to pay cash! I had enough cash to give them for the entire stay; however, the desk clerk was very condescending to me and kept telling me I had to have a credit card for the incidentals. I told her there wouldn't be any incidentals!!! I was in a hurry because I had stayed at another hotel for the first 3 days of my trip and had to get to a conference within an hour and was trying to get checked in, luggage settled, and my dd and her best friend settled before leaving. The desk clerk had me almost in tears because she was refusing to take my cash -- so I asked her what I was supposed to do because I had already paid for my room and I only had cash for the other charges! Someone else finally came out of the office area and asked what the problem was and then she finally said she would work with me. They wouldn't allow us to take our own luggage up to the room either. We HAD to use their valet service (and therefore, HAD to tip for something I could do on my own!) Same on the day we checked out -- they wouldn't let us take one of the carts to our room and take our own luggage out to the car (made me go get my car from the self-park area and drive up to the valet area for it to be loaded. That absolutely drives me insane!!!!!!!! I am perfectly able to load my own luggage -- did they think I was going to steal their silver plated cart??? The concierge was no help to me either. Upon check-in, I was told that the concierge would arrange shuttle pickup for the parks. The times I was at the hotel (and not in meetings) there was no one at the concierge desk. On Friday morning, when I wanted a shuttle to go that afternoon, I waited at the concierge desk, only to be told that I had to call so many hours in advance (which would have been impossible because there was no one at the desk!!!) At this point, I was REALLY frustrated, so we just drove to the Downtown Disney/Marketplace area and parked there and took a Disney shuttle to Epcot. Doing it this way, we did have to go to the different resort stops on the way, and it took a little longer, but that was ok with me! That night, I asked the desk clerk about a shuttle for Sat and she gave me a card with a number to call. I called the # and got an answering machine that said it was after hours. So, first thing, Sat morning I called and arranged a shuttle (or so I thought). We were at the front door at the designated time, and when the shuttle arrived, he asked me for our tickets! What?!!! So, I had to go wait again at the front desk only to be told to get the tickets at the concierge desk - over to that desk and wait --then finally get tickets!!! There was another couple on this shuttle and they were very nice to wait for us! They told us this was their second shuttle, so they knew the procedure, but the same thing had happened to them the first time!!!! EXTREMELY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE for an AMENITY that is advertised! The rooms were large and very nice. However, I am the type of traveler that prefers a mini fridge and microwave in my room. A fridge would have been $20 extra per night!!! So, I made the twice daily looonnnnggg hike down the hallway to the ice machine every day. This is a HUGE hotel complex but the elevators and ice machines were all on one end of the hotel. They did have $5 bottles of Evian Water on the desk which I gave strict orders to my dd not to be touched!!! The redeeming factor for this hotel is the lazy river and swimming pool areas. I thoroughly enjoyed my relaxation time (as little as it was) on their lazy river --until Sat, when all the kids were in it and playing stack the inner tubes!! But, even then, it was nice. One thing I don't understand is why they close the pool areas so early when the hotel rooms are so far away from the pools? If the noise from the bands in the nightclub don't bother guests, why would noise from the pool? They closed at 9 or 10 pm which would have been a perfect time to relax in the hot tub for me, but the gates were locked! I did browse the shops before I left, but I certainly couldn't afford anything in them (same for the 2-3 restaurants). The hotel was also at an exit that was just then being developed, so last year, there was only a McDonald's at the exit along with a couple of gas stations and a Publix (I think) grocery store. I bought breakfast items and sandwich items for the girls from the grocery store and then we went to McD's at night. That was the busiest McDonald's I have ever seen! There may be more now around the area, but I don't recommend this "resort" to anyone on a limited budget or even to families. Although there were children, the only thing available for them was the pool. The only other activities there that I saw were the golf course and the walking trail around it. I won't ever book this hotel again and will make sure I stay away from this area when bidding on Priceline again!

Room Tip: Probably not bid through Priceline!!! Might get a room closer to the elevators then!
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for your experience at the concierge desk in trying to secure shuttle service. Since you last stayed with us in August of 2010, we have made many changes at the concierge desk and have since changed transportation companies. I'm sure you would be serviced much sooner at the concierce desk, and one of the great things about our new transportation is that there are no addtional hotel stops on the way to the Disney Theme Parks! Also since you were here last we have added mini refrigerators to all guest rooms so there is no longer an additional charge. They are located behind one of the doors of the dresser/TV stand. They are a new feature that we added along with the new LCD hi definition flat panel TV's. Lastly, you'll be glad to know that from Memorial Day through Labor Day, the pool has extended their hours until 11pm so you can enjoy a few more turns around the lazy river. We hope you will reconsider and decite to visit us again. Best regards!

Reviewed 28 July 2011

The Omni Championsgate is a very nice resort, but it is way too big for my taste. The pool, complete with lazy river, is lovely but all of the deck chairs were "saved" with towels or paperback novels by 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. Literally no place to sit after 9 am. I also was schocked to see that the pool remained open and full of kids even though there was a violent lightning storm going on when we checked in -- you'd think for liability (and safety!) reasons they would get the kids out of the pool. Room was nice, clean and spacious, service was friendly. It feels like a 4 star convention hotel -- which is probably what they are shooting for. Next time, I will stay closer to the parks.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. The lobby and grounds are very luxurious, payed 75$ night via priceline bid. About 7 miles from Disney. Roomas ae nice size. Vary nice pool with a lazy river and pool slide. If your a golfer, looks like a nice course. Hotel staff friendly. Parking is 14$ a night and they also offer valet for a little more.

Room Tip: Asked for a kingsize bed if available, received 2 doubles. COT for 9 y/o is 25$ more I think. So we...
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Loved the hotel, very nice rooms... the kids loved the Lazy River pool, as well as the water slide and basketball hoop in the "family" pool.

Only negative... the breakfast buffet is VERY expensive.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My family and I stayed at The Omni Championsgate in June 2011. We arrived late at night and there were no employees to be found!! After several minutes of waiting, a person finally arrived to book us in.
The next day, I asked about upgrading to a room with a better view. The lady at the front desk quoted me a price three times higher than the price advertised on the Omni website. She was very short with me and commented that I had booked with Expedia and not Omni, which seemed to be a issue
with her. I found later Omni charges a separate "resort fee" if you book with them, so that might explain the overpriced upgrade fee.
The pool area is nice, but don't expect poolside service.
This hotel is in a rural area, but that didn't stop them from charging $14/day to park.
Overall a nice (but busy) hotel, but don't expect 4 star service. I forwarded my concerns to management in an Omni survey. I never received a response...I guess poor service really does start at the top!

• Stayed: June 2011

Thank you for choosing our hotel. We apologize that you were not properly greeted upon arrival. This is a very important standard of service that we will address. The amount of the resort fee does not vary between Omni Hotels and other travel websites. However, some sites collect the resort fee at the time of booking and others collect the resort fee at the time of checkin. The resort fee includes: High-speed and wireless Internet access in guest rooms; Scheduled transportation to Walt Disney World® Theme Parks; 24-hour access to the Fitness Center; local and 800 access call connections; weekday newspaper; in-room coffee. By now you should have received a response to the survey you submitted to Omni Hotels. We invite you to contact us if you did not so we can propertly follow up with you. Best regards!

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Lazy river and water slide was big hit with our 10 yr old. Hotel is very clean, room was spacious, balcony view of the pool was nice. Only complaint is that we could hear every sound from the pool area in our room with doors closed. Not a major problem as pool shuts down at 11pm.

Highly recommend joining the Select Program for comp beverages. I mentioned it was my husbands birthday and they surprised him with a nice cake in our room.

We left in a hurry and left a phone charger and I called to see if it was turned in and yes, it was and they are mailing it at their expense. Impressive service and I would go back again. It's very close to Disney and not far from I-drive though traffic in Orlando is always a major pain. Didn't try the restaurants on property but assumed they must be ok since Croc's was particularly busy the whole weekend.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Hilton Orlando
#54 of 340 in Orlando
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 340 in Orlando

Been to Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate? Share your experiences!