“Avoid at all costs”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
A TripAdvisor Member
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We booked here as we had been a few years ago and apartment was good. Had problem with ants, 100 or so a day, to the point where bathroom was unusable. fortunately master bedroom had en-suite. after a week of complaining I called our Virgin rep as wanted a new apartment, rep said she would call me back when discussed with resort staff but never did. 2 weeks with a bathroom that the kids would not use. Apartment was in dire need of upgrading, wicker furniture falling apart, springs missing from sofa bed, old stained carpet, 1 ring on hob not working, no spare bedding, Pool very good, chap who ran the bar/food side was very good, courteous and provided good service but sadly management do not learn from junior staff. All in all very disappointed with both Virgin and the Bahama Bay.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This hotel is really beautiful, however it is too far from all the attractions if you are looking to go to city walk or International drive just to take a walk. We stayed in building 22 in a 3 bedroom. This building doesnt have the greatest view. The back screened in porch is facing the woods. Building 23 is great, I also asked for that building but they told me I could not get that building because they were booked for the weekend but when I attempted to go onto the website and rent a 3 bedroom it showed thet had rooms available. The front desk person also stated that it was other people that had not checked in so he could not accomadate me. On the pictures it shows a large screened in patio but in reality you have to rent the biggest 3 bedroom to get the bigger patio and the big bathrooms. It's a great size 3 bedroom but the bigger 3 bedroom is better. They also say it's a beach but really it's white sand and a volleyball net. You can walk out to the lake behind the sand but you can not get into any water. It's a board walk where you can go fishing. You have to bring your own laundry detergent, they do not leave a small box for starters. You can rent movied for free (that was nice because it's up tp date movies) Ithas to be one at a time. On some nights they have Movie night with free popcorn. There isn't an elevator so make sure you are prepared to walk up the stairs evenif it is the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: Building 23 has more of a view than any other building.
2 Thank Nicole H
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a two bedroom deluxe room the fist week of May. The room was newly refurbished with new beds and carpet. Everything was great for my family of six. The kids loved the splash pad and pools. The multiple rooms were perfect after spending all day at Disney and Universal.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 921Fred
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The best thing about the resort is the splash pad. It's a great area for the little ones to run around and stay cool.
I was not impressed with the housekeeping. The grout was dirty in higher trafficked areas compared to the closet in the restrooms. The tile was also sticky. Walking around with no shoes in condo made our feet black. The carpet was stained amd sticky in spots.
The couch was beaten down. I would say it was well loved.
We had a problem with cockroaches in the kitchen. I woke up in the middle of the night to them on the floor and counters in the kitchen. Maintenance did come spray something in the morning when we callled. I am not sure if this got rid of them as we were too afraid to turn lights off at night.
There's no elevators. So if you don't want to carry luggage, and groceries up stairs I would suggest asking for ground level condo.
The wifi wouldn't work the whole time we were there. We called front desk amd they said they were working on fixing the problem. The next day it still didn't work. Front desk said it was fixed and nothing else they could do. It was confusing why it wouldn't work. We had three different tablets and three different cell phones with different service provider. we couldn't get any of them to connect. That was a bummer.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We rented a 2 bedroom VRBO at the resort in late May and found it very comfortable and relaxing. Relatively inexpensive, yet the rooms were very nice and had everything we needed. Well, there wasn't a pasta spoon, but that is just nit-picking, isn't it?!?!? Plenty of space for the 5 of us. We were equal distance from the main pool and the small pool in the center of our buildings, so we just use the larger pool. Plenty of chairs and the area was clean. Nice to have the DVD rental machines, and a few games at the clubhouses that are free (pool and Foosball). We ate lunch at the Tradewinds restaurant our first day and it was good food and friendly service. Nice sunset over the lake. Nice to be off of the beaten path, away from the touristy strips. Enjoyed driving down 192 and seeing all of the tourist stuff, but then nice to relax at the resort instead!

1 Thank Mike S
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed at Bahama Bay numerous times before and have reviewed Bahama Bay before, but, this is more about the apartment than the place (Sep 2013).
I have always had a great time here and the apartments and location are brilliant!
What had changed since our prior visit (March 2013) is that there was a lovely LITTLE waterpark area for young kids, near the clubhouse.
When I say waterpark, I mean a few floor fountains and jets of water here and there, but, my 2 young girls loved it! They could have spent a couple of hours there, wandering around with their buckets and inflatable toys.
The apartment we had was a Grand Bahama again - not quite as nice as the previous one, but still good. This Grand Bahama (the largest of the 4 condo types) was located in Block 32 (Apartment no 616). It was close-ish to the perimeter of Bahama Bay, but not affected by road noise (it's a quiet road anyway). The view from the main balcony was quite nice and over looked a pool. (Our previous condo had a nicer view over looking the lake towards the clubhouse).
We spent 10 nights here. My main gripe with the condo was the beds. In the main bedroom (ours) it was a very large bed, but, quite low, compared to the usual bed you'd get, and very creaky. Turned out my son's was too as were my daughters'.
My other gripe was that the unit was maintenance managed by an off-site company, so, if you had any faults/issues you'd have to go through them rather than Bahama Bay.
The unit is owned by an English family who offered a friendly, trouble free service from the moment I contacted them (Theresa) about the property. She also gave me a great price for the unit - less than £50/night, including the cleaning fee! (most owners have to add this on - approx. $80).
I did speak to Theresa afterwards about the beds and she said they were looking at adding some sort of bed liner to the beds - this may have been added now, or maybe even better - new beds?
All in all, this unit offered great value for money and it is the Grand Bahama - largest 3 bed unit. The equipment level and quality of equipment wasn't up the level of the other Grand Bahama we stayed in (also reviewed), but, still a nice place. Would I stay there again - if the beds were renewed - definitely!
The resort itself, at this time of year (September) was very quiet - we had pools to ourselves most of the time.
Bahama Bay is a lovely place to stay and base yourself for the multitude of activities nearby.
The shopping centre (and Applebees) are only about a mile away, so, very convenient. There's a Walmart and Lowes not too far away as well.
For eating with kids - Sweet Tomatoes is ideal. Its in the same complex as the Super target, on the 192, near Orange Lakes. Its a buffet style place with heaps of saled, pasta, soup, pizza, etc and ice cream. No waiting on staff and if the kids make a little mess, it's not as big a deal as it might be elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask if the beds have been replaced/modified since Sep 2013
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Audi_Chris
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Bahama Bay is one of my favorite places to vacation.
The beauty of it all is you don't have to leave the resort. It has everything I want on a holiday to be. Pools, sunshine karaoke and restaurant/bar.
The property is well maintained with beautiful gardens. It's clean and quiet.
The staff move around on golf carts so it's quiet. They are polite and helpful.
The condos are lovely. Comfortable sleep and with a full kitchen you can cook or eat out to many places in the area. Washer and dryer is huge for me since it reminds us to pack lighter.
The pools are warm and the hot tubs are clean. The trails are breathtaking.....and good for taking pictures. The buildings are very tropical looking and when on holidays you want to feel like you're on holidays...at Bahama Bay you do! I will go back again!

Room Tip: Location is everything! I love being near the amenities. By the pools and restaurant are key...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Sheraton Vistana Villages - International Drive
Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista
Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress
Caribe Cove Resort Orlando
Caribe Cove Resort Orlando
#17 of 152 in Kissimmee
Tuscana Resort Orlando by Aston

Been to Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!