“Good food, lovely staff”
Review of Lantern Pike Inn

Lantern Pike Inn
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Have just spent a few days here while walking in the Dark Peak area. The breakfasts and the dinners were really good, and the staff very friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that the room was a wee bit small and dark, it needed another light somewhere. ( The bathroom was lovely)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bubaluyve
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words of appreciation.

There are newer reviews for Lantern Pike Inn

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed here on a KGB deal. 2 nights B & B with a 2 course evening meal on one night. We had lunch when we got there, sitting in the beer garden which has fantastic views. The lunch (Lantern Pike Ploughan's) was great value and excellent quality and the staff and owners really helpful and friendly. The evening meal was great and so was the breakfast. . The room wasn't huge but perfectly adequate for us, and clean which is so important. Fantastic location for walking. Absolutely couldn't fault it. Would definitely go again if looking for somewhere in that area.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front facing the road. If you wanted a view you would need to get a room at th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words of appreciation.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

After passing this pub many times, we walked to it from Hayfield for lunch. The walk was good, but the high point was the lunch - not the cheapest, but excellent value for miney in an attractive old pub. We'll definitely go again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Well another fantastic visit simply perfect thank you Lantern Pike Inn !!!! The ale is always on top form the food is home cooked with fresh local ingredients and the breakfasts are as good as any five star hotel I have stayed in wonderful banter with the locals what more could you ask for !

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We visit this pub frequently. Don,t know what more you can ask. Owners who seem to be ever present who train their small great team with care.
The effort they must put in to produce the high quality food and drink must be enormous. The Ale is always on top form and their food is all home cooked by their chef, who clearly takes pride in his work.
When I read some of the negative comments, I wonder what more could possibly be expected.
It is an old building, in the country with a beautiful beer garden and delightful owners and staff. It is always pristine and hospitable. We have enormous admiration and respect. Long may they continue.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2013

Booked a table for two at the lantern pike inn, as we drive past it quite regularly on the way to my fiancées mothers house. Its a beautiful quaint country pub from the outside.
Upon entering the lantern pike, you will quickly realise that this is not a pub restaurant at all. The walls are adorned with memorabilia relating to Coronation Street (why, I have no idea at all!) We were shown to a table made from an old sewing machine, which I thought was a rather novel use for such a thing. We made our drinks order with the waitress and began to peruse the specials board, which is labelled the specials board, when in actual fact it is the menu.
My fiancée decided to order the pork, but wanted to make a change from blue cheese sauce to Dianne simply because of pregnancy, which wasn't a problem. The problem began when the workmen standing at the bar (which was situated to the right of our table) began to recite tales of vulgarity and use language which neither myself nor my fiancée would expect to hear when dining in a restaurant.
The food arrived and was very nice... nothing special. I personally expected it to be special given the price!
At one point, a patron of the bar (one of the workmen) walked straight past us, and decided to mention to one of his colleagues as he was directly next to our table, that he was going for a p**s!!! Lovely. Just what you would want to hear from someone stood next to your table in full workwear.
As is the title of this review, this place is a pub, it is not a restaurant, and far better experiences are to be had for the money we parted with for our food at this place. If you're looking for somewhere to have a drink after finishing work or meeting up with friends, I is probably perfect, but definitely not for a pleasant dining experience, and certainly not for a romantic evening!! One to avoid dining in!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark J

For the loudness and industrial language you had to put with I apologise unreservedly, I agree with you 100%, nobody should have to listen to such language and vulgarity, I can fully understand why you didn’t have a pleasant dining experience, I too would have the same opinion in a similar situation. I have spoken to the people concerned. If you are ever passing again please call in and let me buy you a drink.
As for your comments about the food, I’m really sorry you didn’t find the food ‘special’ (you can’t win them all unfortunately). I have noted your comment about the use of the word Specials and modified the board to read ‘Today’s Menu’.
The Coronation Street connection, you say the walls are adorned (actually, it’s a total run of about 3x1 metres on two separate walls), if you had read the posted information on the walls you would have known what it was all about. The Lantern Pike Inn is home to some very important social history, ie the birthplace of Coronation Street, the world’s longest running soap!
With regards to everything else, you are obviously entitled to your opinion, however, if the dining experience you had was never to be repeated ie the behaviour around the bar was more civilised, could we describe it as a Pub/Restaurant?

Reviewed 25 June 2013

Let me be clear - I have not stayed at the pub. I used the pub to cater an evening meal at a local house I hired for me and my friends - there were 28 of us; my rating is based purely on this experience.

The pub were very accommodating and brought everything we needed to the house on time and unobtrusively, they also brought some staff to serve and tidy away. And the food was excellent and very reasonably priced. I picked the starter & main meal before I arrived, looking for fresh and local ingredients - a couple of e-mails and phone calls with the kitchen manager sorted everything out. It was excellent, well cooked, plenty of it and nicely presented. Before I used them for the above catering I had Sunday lunch at the pub (just to try things out), it was very good, but the meal they did surpassed the lunch.

So as far as catering goes, they did a great job and if I was going to do a similar event in the area, I'd certainly use them again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for those kind words of appreciation. Stella

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Hayfield
#1 of 3 in New Mills
Old Hall Inn
Old Hall Inn
#7 of 160 in Peak District National Park

Been to Lantern Pike Inn? Share your experiences!