“Nice place to stay in breathtaking Derbyshire” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lantern Pike Inn

Lantern Pike Inn
Calgary, Alberta
“Nice place to stay in breathtaking Derbyshire”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

After much searching we booked this place because it was fairly central for where we wanted to go in the area- especially Lyme Park. It was a nice enough little place, and the rooms although small, were clean and well kept. The cooking was divine, especially the pastries in the Continental Breakfast, which are certainly worth a try if you like that sort of thing. It is also a good location for hiking, which we didn't get to do, but I will certainly do if I go back.

• Liked — Food, Location
  • Disliked — Tiny Rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Fort Smith, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

My English girlfriend and I spent a long weekend at the Lantern Pike Inn this summer. We had a lovely time.

The B&B itself and the surrounding locale is every bit picturesque as you could imagine. A tastefully decorated room, a comfortable bed, friendly staff, delicious food (I was worried about that. I'm American: we don't skip meals!) and the best part ... some fantastic real ale.

Can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The food and the real ale
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Altrincham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2007

I was so suprised to have read the comments from some people who stayed on the hotel at the same as I did. The Lantern Pike, Glossop I can highly recommend. The Landlady+ Landlord were very friendly people who could just not do enough for us. The service from all the staff was top notch. The atmosphere was great it's a very friendly place. Our room I found to be very clean and very accommodating.
We had a beautiful hot english breakfast each morning and the evening meals were delicious and very well presented. The portions were large too the menue was extensive. I would definitely recommend The Lantern Pike for any occassion. I will definitely be going back with some friends.

• Liked — The Gorgeous food and friendly owners
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
york
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2007

repeat cleint at the lanten pike as stayed here priviousley over the past 4 years opted to go back in june as wanted a nice stay in the country side -i got there to be graeted not at all nicley - the land lady just threw my key at me and advise i would be in room 3 - no greating like the past visit - then when into the room to find not at all clean towels - smelt very bad of smoke - and no fresh cups or condiments - went into the pub to have a bite to eat with my wife we had sunday lunch - the beef was horrible - my wifes chips looked like they have been fryed about 100 times - in the morning the breakfast wasnt up to much as the past visits they just gave it us and then didnt seam to care - not at all inpressed with the food on previouse visits the food was out of this world just normal pub grub as you like to expect. after having a not so nice time as before at the lantern pike - we do like the walking around hayfield fantastic - but would not reccomend the lantern pike as a public house or bed and breakfast.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms and food
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank yfl
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2007

My partner and I and a couple of friends booked 2 rooms at short notice this month (March 07) for a weekend walking break. After booking our rooms I was dismayed to read the horror stories on this B&B as posted on tripadvisor but as this was short notice we didn't have time to look for anywhere else to stay.

Anyway we went along and were really surprised how different the place was, as described by the two previous reports. I felt I had to tell the Landlady as she was so helpful and friendly (as were all the staff), it turns out that they only bought the B&B last year and were fully aware of how tired the rooms were and since last year the rooms have been refurbished and were very, very clean.

We found the food spectacular, fantastic choice on menu and hefty portions. After a two day stay my friends and I came away from The Lantern Pike extremely happy and would gladly recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Food and friendliness of the staff and customers.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
7 Thank rainbow_clogs
cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

stayed at the lantern pike in august 2006, this was a repeat stay as we really enjoyed are previouse stay but unfortunatley are recent stay was the pits, the rooms were very dirty there was dust all over the tv, the place smelt of smoke as i thought all the bedrooms were non smoking, was very dissapointed. last time we stayed they offered food from 12 - 9 now they only offer cold snacks at lunch time and only to 3 oclock was very sissapointed as the food previously had been lovely, the food we had was not up to my expectation, was very bland had salmon was very greesie and not at all worth the £9 i paid for it.

was extreamley dissapointed with this visit as my previouse visit was really nice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — do not stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank kate89
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2006

We stayed at the Lantern Pike Inn for one night in August 2006. The location is great if you want to see the Peak district - it's at the bottom of the eponymous Lantern Pike (Pike = a big hill in local dialect) and close to Kinder Scout and other great places for walking in the High Peak.

From the outside, the pub looks lovely - very welcoming with twinkly lights. Inside the actual pub itself it's a pretty bog standard local, with dark beams, horse brass etc. Staff were universally friendly and helpful.

Our room (room 4) was a bit disappointing - at £55 per night you'd expect something fairly decent, but the decor was very tired. Room was on the small side, bed took up most of the space. The bathroom, although spacious, was decorated with lurid blue tiles. They obviously have a bit of a problem with damp and mould and, although the bathroom was well cleaned, the room could have done with a good scrub - partiuclarly around the windows. There bedding also smelt faintly of cigar smoke.

Accommodation, then, was adequate, but if I were to stay in the are again I'd be tempted to shell out an extra £5 and stay in the nicer pubs and hotels in Hayfield, haf a mile down the hill.

2 Thank Gooddenough
#1 of 3 in New Mills
Old Hall Inn
Old Hall Inn
#8 of 166 in Peak District National Park

Been to Lantern Pike Inn? Share your experiences!