“Terrible!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus, Ohio
“Terrible!”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We recently returned from a family vacation last week. We stayed in a cabana suite on the ground level. One of our biggest issues was there was NO cell service in the room. You had to walk outside to make calls. Two out of the three phones in the room didn’t work and the one that did work, the people said they could barely hear us. There was no safe deposit box which is standard in almost all hotels. The ice machines were not close and were either not working or nearly empty. The bathroom didn’t have a vent so the bathroom was always stuffy and hot after taking a shower. Hardly ever had pool towels out. I think the grounds are way too big for the hotel to take care of. There were abandoned store fronts attached to the hotel that haven’t been washed in years. They had inappropriate things written on them. We had a patio outside of our room. We would sit out there every night to relax and enjoy the weather. This area is open to the public that walk past on their way to and from the carnival area. We witnessed an argument and then a guy get sucker punched. He ran away yelling call the cops with several people chasing after him (one included a guy with a baby in a stroller)! Another night we saw a mother yelling at the top of her lungs to her child, then proceeded to smack him in the face two different times (with multiple people and maids within steps from her). I thought I was staying at the Motel 6 not the Hilton! We had a problem with our cc being charged, stopped by the front desk and talked to a manager that said they would take care of it and call us to confirm it had been cleared up. Two days later I still hadn’t heard from her and called again to say she was in a managers meeting and would call when she got out. Never received a call! And the kicker is in the book it says if you have any comments or concerns to hit the menu button on the tv to submit your feedback, it didn’t work on either TV! Never again will I stay here! Also don't waste your money on the carnival thing next door. You can pay $10 for an hour of unlimited stuff, but not all rides work, they didn't have enough people working there so you have to follow the workers from ride to ride or wait until they are done with running one ride and come to another.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ohiost
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
It is always our goal to provide vacationing families with ideal accommodations that exceed their expectations. We regret if you found any aspects of your stay less than exceptional. Our goal, first and foremost, is to be available to satisfy the needs, questions and concerns of our guests. We are disappointed that we were not made aware of the issues you detail here during your stay. We wish we had the opportunity to assist you as it would have been our pleasure to provide a prompt resolution to these concerns. While we can certainly understand and appreciate your dismay at having charges placed on your card, once any corrections are made at the hotel level, it is then up to the credit card company to remove them from your account. We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced at any point during your stay. Your review is greatly appreciated and we hope to have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back and win back your trust in our resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Upon arrival at the check in valet, which was a cramped area we did not find the valet folks on post, we had to unload our own luggage, once that was done they showed up, hand out looking for a tip. We were assigned room 904 in the south tower. The hall was narrow with carpet that could easly be tripped over. The room was a filthy mess. I took a hand towel and ran it across the night stand, it was disgusting. I called the front desk asking for a room change, they would not accomidate, so I went there in person. We finally were assigned room 1076 in the north tower. The room was a bit cleaner, at least we felt like we could take our shoes off and set belonging out. The bathroom was disgusting. Mold on the floor and shower grout, stains on the counter and a shower head from 1982 that sprayed the walls more than it did me. The drain was so slow that no matter how fast you showered you were standing ankle deep in dirty water.
There was no mini fridge, They wanted to charge $10 per night, I informed them I am a HiltonHonors member, they relented and gave us one. There is no WiFi on the rooms. I cannot believe a Hilton does not have WiFi. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
The TV's chanels were half out. We called down three times over two days to get it working.
Upon check in I was offered breakfast certtificates or HiltonHonor points. I chose the certificates. Theye were to be slid under the door the first morning. No show. Called Guest Services 'we are so sorry, first I have heard it it' she said. Second morning, same thing. I asked for a manager. The front desk manager called. First she had heard of it too. I asked if they have a log book. Sure she said. I suggested she take a look.
hird morning same issue.
I will say eveeryone is nice, not attitudes. But it appears these folks have received no training from management. Or if they did a refresher course needs to be given.
There are many maintenance issues in this hotel.
The revolving door in the north tower valet is broken.
Sand and dirt are every where in this hotel. It would help if they had a foot shower coming in from the beach to the north tower, that may help.
The carpets in the halls are stained really bad.
The tile on the main floor look like they have not be polished in months.
One day we came back from tjhe beach to our room at three. It had not been serviced, the do not disturd sign was not on the door. We tiook showers and called the front desk when we left at five. They said someone knocked and we told them not to clean the room or leave fresh towels.
On the second day I left a message for the manager, he was not in the building, with the front desk manager. We never heard from him. I will bet he responds to this post. I would suggest you contact me direct, as you have my contact info. Want to see my photos of the room and disgusting house keeping? Let me know.
Now, you may ask why did I stay there and not check out and go to the Hampton Inn up the street? I prepaid for the rooms, they would not refund them to me. We booked this hotel thinking they would be better than the Hampton, boy were we wrong.
Folks, don't bother staying at this Hilton. We were really disapointed due to having just left the Hilton in Orlando earlier that same week. There is no compairison. If you did not see the names on the hotels, you would never in a million years say they were the same brand of hotel.
Corporate, I hope you are reading this and do something about it.

Room Tip: if you must go here, stay in the north tower
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 16weekayeartraveler
Please let us extend our gratitude for your continued loyalty to the Hilton brand. We greatly appreciate the time you’ve taken to provide us with your valued feedback and to bring these various concerns to our attention. We deeply regret that we failed to provide you with the accommodations and a guest experience that should have exceeded your expectations at every turn. Our resort is currently in the midst of undergoing a number of extensive upgrades throughout our facilities, including LCD TVs in our guest rooms and new carpeting. It is our goal to regain your confidence and we hope that you’ll give us an opportunity to do so in the future. We will forward your comments to the management team for further review. Thank you again for providing us your perspective.
Polk City, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Hilton offered a low price reservation thru a 3rd party source, and I am so glad they did. I may have never been able to experience this luxury resort like I did. Very nice place, Very nice employees from valet check~in through out lunch at Legends and the most remarkable at the end of my stay. Its one thing for workers to be over cheesy when you check in, and somehow lose the enthusiasm when your leaving. But I was treated like I was 4 stars from beginning to end. Thank you Hilton for a great weekend

• Stayed April 2012
We’re thrilled you chose to stay with us! You can visit our website for information on our hotel specials, promotions and packages. We strive to provide opportunities for travelers on any budget to stay with us! Your kind words about our staff and how much you enjoyed your stay are touching to read. We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort soon!
Germantown, Maryland
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My family was pleasantly surprised at our last minute stay at this Hilton. We payed an upgrade for a suite on the 14th floor and had a beautiful large suite with a large breakfast bar area with counter high refrigerator/ bar sink and microwave, a large living room with table and 42" flat screen tv, king bedroom with extra sink outside of large updated bathroom. The only imperfection of this room was that the beautiful oceanview suite did not have a traditional walk on balcony. Due to this fact I did not award the 5 stars. The pool area was very nice, good bar service, check in, valet, and bell hop were all satisfactory. The Hyde Park restaurant located at the Hilton had fantastic food,view and service. We only stayed one night but plan to return again in the near future. Great value for location and amenites.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Sometimes last minute plans work out for the best and it certainly seems like they did in this case! It was our pleasure to host you, even if you could only stay for a night, and we’re glad to you found your suite accommodations pleasing. It’s great that you enjoyed Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse. Our other on-site dining venues like Doc Bales’ Grill also offer delicious dishes and beautiful oceanfront views. Thank you for your review of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. Please come back and visit us again soon!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Since we live only an hour and 30 minutes away, we decided to go down to Daytona for 2 nights. We found the Hilton to fit out needs. When we first arrived we were greeted with smiles. We got our stuff from the car and checked in. We had around a 10 minute wait which wasnt so bad because we could watch the waves behind the desk through the windows. We were checked in by a nice man who fulfilled all our requests! We had 2 rooms. One on the 11th floor and one on the 7th floor in the south tower. The south tower is closer to everything except ocean walk village. The south tower has the resturaunts, the check-in desk, and the gift shop. The north tower just had the steakhouse. Now let's go to the basic stuff.

ROOM: We had two rooms that were the same. They were both ocean front rooms. The view was absolutely amazing!!! I spent about 30 minutes each day on the balcony. About the balcony, it's a small, one foot from the room balcony. So all you could do was stand on it. The beds were very confortable!!! They had like a cabana like backboard and a palmtree Florida designed comforter. I loved the bathroom design! There is a sink on the outside and a sink on the inside! The bath products were great too! The shower head had adjustable pressure and that was great! But the shower head was really old!!!! Talking about something old, THE TV!!!!!! This is 2012 Hilton! Not 2006!!! Haha but we didn't really use it anyway! But the old tv was kind of an eye sore. Anyway, we were very happy with our rooms!(1122 and 714)

SERVICE: One word. OUTSTANDING!!!!!! The staff was so kind! The housekeepers were very polite and would say hi in tr hallways if they saw you. The check-in desk was so kind!!! And the resturaunt waiters were great! The staff was probobly the best I have ever seen!

FOOD: We ate at Doc Bales, Hyde Park, and the sports bar. Doc Bales made the best omelet in the morning! For being a silver HH member we got free breakfast each morning! We ate at the sports bar fr lunch one time and it was good! Hyde park I don't think is owned by the hotel but it was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! Everything there tasted great! I recommend the early bird special! Soup or salad, entree, and a side for only 19.99!!!! My soup and side would have cost that much usually! Get there before 6:30 and your good. Every other meal we had at ocean walk village. (Bubba Gump, Johnny Rockets, Starbucks, Cold Stone, ect.)

LOCATION: AMAZING!!!! It's right on the beach!!!!! There is a beach volleyball court, boardwalk, clock tower, and even a Piet with rides close by! This hotel is prime real estate! Location wise at least! It's great!!!! They even have security on th boardwalk! They even asked us if they could see our room keys! That's something I like! Makes me feel much safer!!!!!

CLEANLINESS: This is why it's 4 stars. The elevators really need to be cleaned! Thats the only thing!!!!!!!

OVERALL: Would I stay again? Yes!!! I loved it! Everything was great!!!! I highly recommend staying here!!!! Hope this helped! If you have any questions just ask!!

1 Thank beachdude654
Wow! Your thorough review of each aspect of your stay with us was a treat to read! We’re touched that you experienced great service and that your accommodations, down to your oceanfront room view, were enjoyable. We do want to take the time to let you know that we’re in the early stages of upgrading a few things you mentioned, specifically the TVs in our guest rooms. We appreciate your kind review and that you’d recommend the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back for another getaway with us in the near future!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Daytona beach is sort of a weird place to begin with, but I was hoping the hilton would be an oasis of sorts. It really was no better than a hilton garden inn - in fact in some ways worse. Giant building, long lines at checkin, long lines at the elevator, crumbling old hallways, tiny rooms which haven't been updated in years with small uncomfortable beds and no frills. Took ages to get up and down in the elevator and just full of school groups - sort of felt like staying in a public swimming pool. Took half an hour to get our car at the end.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank MINOU8977
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
The World’s Most Famous Beach welcomes millions during the spring as many exciting events call Daytona Beach home. We appreciated your patience during your stay and regret if you experienced any inconvenience. In order to continue to provide the best accommodations and service possible, we’re working on several updates to our resort. Your review is greatly appreciated and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back.
Reviewed 2 April 2012

If you're expecting a Hilton go somewhere else. Try the Wyndham ocean walk next door. This place is filthy, rooms are tiny, no fridge unless you pay a hidden fee. Free wifi but the signal comes and goes and is usually too weak to use. Try somewhere else. I wouldn't come back. Also the balcony is more of a glorified window ledge. No screen either do of the door is open the bugs are coming in.

1 Thank Klprothero
We appreciate your feedback but are disappointed to learn of that your stay with us was not more positive. The comfort and satisfaction of our guests is our top priority and drives all that we do. Our guest rooms and common areas throughout our resort are undergoing a number of upgrades so that we may continue to offer comfortable, up-to-date accommodations to all of our guests. We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced and hope that you’ll give our resort another chance in the future.