“A Very Good Hotel that Hides It's Qualities”

Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was an interesting visit, in May 2012 to Daytona Beach. The hotel is a modern facility, significantly more upscale than the Cocoa Beach Hilton from which I had just come. The lobby is bright and glamorous, with valet parking and helpful bellhops. Check-in was fast, the elevators worked well and are surprisingly large (big groups, I guess). Our upgraded room ($179 with ocean view) overlooked the boardwalk and amusement rides, which was interesting, and also faced the Kennedy Space Center where we watched a launch at 3am about 80 miles to the south-east. Very cool.

The rooms were a little smaller than I expected, and the bathroom definitely was on the cramped side. But everything was clean, worked well, no mold in the showers, luggage rack in the closet and -- surprise -- windows that opened, onto a tiny balcony. A real treat to listen to the ocean waves all night.

The town of Daytona Beach is a bit of a jumble, with souvenir shops and tacky restaurants all mixed in with nicer establishments. The beach is QUITE nice, better than Cocoa Beach in my mind. And there's a scattering of amusement park rides that at a busier time of year probably would have been a lot of fun for people-watching.

The most interesting aspect of this hotel is what they don't tell you. For example, there are numerous bars and lounges in the lobby, but you have to go hunting for them. There's a Starbucks in the front of the hotel, at street level, but no signs to point you there. And there's a fabulous steak house at the north end of the hotel where we would have very much enjoyed dining, but didn't learn about it until after our dinner. So they need to do a better job publicizing their amenities -- they're probably are more which I never uncovered before check-out.

The hotel is a $15-20 cab ride from the Daytona Beach Airport, and cabs are plentiful.

I'd recommend this hotel again.

1  Thank PilotMike2009
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

A recommendation is some of the best feedback we can receive! Thank you for taking the time to provide such a thorough review of your time at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. We're delighted you got to watch a launch from the Kennedy Space Center and you enjoyed the ocean air and sound of the waves while you slept. We regret if the location of our on-site dining, bars or lounges were not apparent. With no less than 7 onsite dining and lounge options, our website details them all! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

i have stayed here several times for business trips and most recently a week ago. The hotel is conveniently located near fair-type activities like ferris wheel. On the other side you can easily walk to a movie theatre and restaurants like bubba gump or johnny rockets. The hotel at first sight is impressive, but after closer inspection the guest rooms need work. My bathroom had dirty grout, chipped tile on the floor and the sink would not properly drain.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floors to maximize ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

We love hearing from returning guests and are grateful for your continued loyalty. Thank you for your helpful overview of our central location in the heart of Daytona Beach. To address your feedback regarding our accommodations, we are currently at work on extensive upgrades throughout our resort. We hope you'll return for another stay with us next time you visit The World's Most Famous Beach!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just checked out yesterday after 2 nights stay. Very disappointing Hilton for service. Yes, as others stated the staff are polite,but when they ask if everything is okay they apparently don't really want any feedback. One of the most frustrating situations is the parking issue. You have a choice from self parking (lot a block away) in a not great location where you may wonder about the safety of your vehicle or valet for $19/day plus tip whenever you want access to your car. the self park had no spots available so we did the valet. you pull up at the south but apparently they move your car to the north valet. when leaving we called for luggage assistance and were told it would be 45 mins. so we schlepped our multiple luggage from where we were in the south tower to the north and then after notifying before leaving room to have car ready had to wait another 30 minutes for the care. yes the rooms are tired and need to be redone. gold member - no upgrade - tv didn't work was replaced, etc.etc.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TabuJupiter

We want our guests to have a relaxing, carefree stay and to enjoy our accommodations and resort amenities. We are disappointed to learn that this is not what you experienced. Our staff works to provide attentive and prompt service, so we regret if there was a delay at any time during your stay. We're working to update our guest rooms so that we can continue to provide high-quality accommodations to our guests. We appreciate all feedback we receive and are thankful that you took the time to share your perspective with us. It would be our pleasure to have an opportunity to welcome you back and win your trust in the services we offer.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have to admit after reading all the negative reviews here I almost changed my hotel reservations to a different hotel. I'm glad I didn't. My family and I had a wonderful time. Everyone we met was extremely polite and helpful - the valet staff, the front desk, the wait staff at the restaurant, and the cleaning staff. The oceanfront rooms are a must with stunning views of the Ocean. And the hotel is centrally located. As to all the comments about the hotel being a bit "worn" well that's probably true, but you have to realize this is an extremely busy beachfront hotel with high turnover. Spring break, bike weeks, race fans, vacationers, etc., etc. There will be a little wear and tear here and there. The hotel is going through renovations so things should improve. So all in all I would recommend this hotel for vacationers who want prime access to the beach.

Room Tip: I would stay in the South Tower and ask for a room higher up, 12 and higher.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank George P

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort! It is wonderful to learn that we exceeded your expectations and provided you with attentive service. We are grateful for your patience and understanding while we're hard at work completing renovations and upgrades to our resort. Thank you for review and recommendation. Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 23 May 2012

A recent conference in Daytona Beach took me to this area and the Hilton Daytona Beach. I was excited to be in Florida with warm and beautiful weather during my week stay! A few years ago I was invited to Daytona Beach to explore the possibility of bringing meetings to the area. At the time, the hotel was flagged as an Adam’s Mark. Several years ago it was rebranded to a Hilton.

This is a very large hotel, located directly across Atlantic Avenue from the Ocean Center (convention center and arena), and Peabody Auditorium. The hotel itself can accommodate various size meetings.

The hotel does not have shuttle service to/from the airport but there are private companies and taxis that offer airport to hotel service for approximately $18. The airport is just minutes to the hotel.

I was greeted by very professional and friendly staff at the HiltonHhonors line (no waiting in the other long lines) and was off to my room in the south tower in just a few minutes. I had breakfast coupons and everything I needed for my week in Florida.

My room was two double beds as no king bedrooms were available, even with my gold Honors status. There was a large group at the hotel which no doubt used many of the rooms. My guest room was showing a need for a refresh, and a bit cramped with two beds. However, the spectacular and most incredible view of the beach and ocean quickly made up for any room needs. I enjoyed the mornings rising to beautiful sunrises, and the beach. The beds were very comfortable and typical Hilton beds. The bathroom was a bit small and compact but adequate. The one problem I encountered a few days was the terrible water pressure. Later in the week it seemed to improve.

I must say the staff at this hotel is superb! They greet you in the public areas and ask if they can help you with anything, or will direct you to where you need to go. One afternoon I arrived back at my room and noticed it had not been cleaned. A quick call to the hotel guest services promptly resolved the issue. I was very impressed with the hotel staff; they are some of the best in the industry. I was very impressed with the front desk/check-in staff and how helpful and friendly they were! Great people!!

The breakfast coupons entitle one to the full buffet or you may order from the menu. The buffet was very good and offered the typical morning breakfast fare. Knowing I did not want or need to eat so much for breakfast each morning I opted for the menu selections on several days. The restaurant staff at “Doc Bale’s Grill” were top notch and very attentive! This venue is only open for breakfast from what I could tell. I must say the breakfast buffet seemed a bit on the high-price side at $19.95 per person. However, it does come with beverage choices and all-you-can-eat.

Over all my stay was incredibly great! In fact, I had a hard time leaving! The weather, paired with being on the beach is just a bit of paradise!

Other related comments about the Daytona Beach area. The Ocean Walk Village is located directly next to the Hilton, and is a complex of two hotels (including the Hilton and Wyndham) and shops. I must say this “shopping” complex is nothing more than a collection of fast-food style restaurants, with a couple retail shops. I was disappointed in what it had to offer. The shops along Atlantic Avenue are your typical beach/surfing shops that cater to the tourists. If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen them all as each offers the same basic line of “tourist trinkets” and clothing. If you are searching for anything in the line of local art/craft/photography, you are not going to find it along the beach area shops.

Overall, my experience in Daytona Beach and at the Hilton was great! For a destination to relax and kickback, and enjoy the weather and beach, this is it! If you have a car, Orlando is just an hour away.

Room Tip: Be sure to request an ocean view room! You will not regret it!
2  Thank Dale S

The only thing better than being in Daytona Beach is when you have perfect weather for your entire trip! It was a thrill to read about all of the positive aspects of your time at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, from our location to our restaurants and beyond. Our staff is thankful for your kind words regarding the service you received. We hope you'll come back to enjoy our relaxing oceanfront views in the very near future. Thank you for your kind and helpful review.

Reviewed 21 May 2012 via mobile

Great service, awful dirty room.Hair included. Great location,but for a being a HILTON very disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank wheats12

It is great that you enjoyed great service and a prime location during your stay. We regret that you were at all disappointed and will review your comments with our housekeeping staff. Our resort is currently working to complete a number of upgrades and renovations to ensure we provide top notch service and accommodations. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you'll give our resort another try in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Top of the line hotel! Very happy with our stay. Beach was beautiful awesome location. The Ocean walk village was attached to the hotel w/ Johnny Rockets, Sloppy Joes a few others & even a movie theatre & outdoor theatre for summer concerts. Boardwalk are was on the other side w/ sling shot & games area. THE BEAST PLACE ON DAYTONA BEACH TO STAY! The only draw back was having to pay daily for parking, do the valet, who wants to walk down the road & acrossed the street!

Room Tip: stay near the clock tower in an upper room :)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

We're very happy you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for your wonderful review and for noting just some of the local attractions and restaurants steps from our resort, including the beach! It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for a future stay at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort.