“Slightly disappointed in cleanliness..still a great location!”

Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village
Ranked #27 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chula, Georgia
“Slightly disappointed in cleanliness..still a great location!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Took my 2 teenage children and 2 of their friends for a quick but much anticipated and needed 2 night getaway over Easter break. We had a great time and the location is awesome. This was my second time at this hotel (the first time was several years ago while it was under construction). I always do my homework so I had already planned for the extra charges (resort and parking fees). I made sure to bring plenty of tip money for the valets (who were hopping and on their toes trying to accommodate this very large hotel with minimum space at the front entrance-they did great- no complaints except for the very long wait to actually get to the valet). Upon check-in our clerk was very professional, however as a Diamond member for many years it would have been nice for her to recognize that we were Diamond members. Maybe she wasn't having a good day, but I spent 110,000 points for 2 nights at this hotel (more than staying 3 nights at the famous Hilton Dresden in Germany) and she didn't even put on a smile. No follow up call after check-in either to "make sure everything was satisfactory".. The least she could have done was acknowledge that we were valued customers. When we checked into our room (Beachfront Cabana) I was very pleased with close beach access and the size of the room for our party of 5. I didn't like not having access to the inside of the hotel without having to walk outside and around (but overall worth the trade-off to walk out directly on the beach). Traveling without my husband, it was a little intimidating going out at midnight to find a vending machine for my daughter's friend that had begun getting sick from a sudden onset of major sinus drainage and allergies (more on this later) making her nauseated. After I made my way to the inside of the hotel and got directions to the ice and vending machines, I proceeded to get off and on the elevator for 7 floors (floor 3 to 10), trying to find a vending machine that actually had drinks in it and was able to accept money. Every vending machine had something wrong with it. It either had no drinks in it, required correct change, or could not accept any money at all. I outsmarted them though. I bought 4 drinks I didn't want, from a machine that gave change, and took the change to the vending machine that DID have what I wanted...haha...joke was on them. Our last morning while everyone was hustling around to pack up and hit the road home, I huddled up in the bed watching TV waiting for my turn in the bathroom. As I gazed upward at the ceiling fan above the bed, I began to realize why my daughter's friend was having so much problem with her allergies. The fan was covered in dust. The ceiling above the fan was dirty and dusty in both rooms. All of the air conditioner vents were also quite dirty and moldy. I was really shocked, as I don't think I have ever had this complaint at a Hilton before. I watch Hotel Impossible, so I immediately got up and ran my finger across the top of the TV cabinet and a few of the picture frames hanging on the wall. True, they weren't as dusty as the furniture in my bedroom but hey, I don't have a maid cleaning my room everyday (and obviously they don't either)! To be fair, I didn't give the staff a chance to correct this, and I am sure they would have if I had notified them. Overall, I don't think I will go back to this hotel, even though we had a great time (location), I just don't feel like it was worth all the points I spent to stay here. I have stayed in much nicer, been treated better, and have paid a lot less for the same thing this hotel offers.

1 Thank travelingalloever
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
First, we would like to thank you for being a Hilton Diamond member and for your continued loyalty to Hilton Hotels for so many years. We apologize if you were not recognized for this at the time of your check in or at any other point during your stay. It’s disappointing when we hear that we do not meet a guest’s expectations. Your review is appreciated as it helps us to focus on areas that may need to be addressed further. We understand that having a teenager who is not feeling well while on a trip away is not a pleasant experience and are sorry if you felt that the condition of your room contributed to this in anyway. We encourage our guests to call the front desk for any issue that needs to be addressed during their stay so that we can make your experience with us the best it can be. We’re glad you loved our location and that you had a great time here at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, we hope that someday you will return.

Tom Manno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

4th stay at this place. The very first time there was an issue, but they stepped up and took care of everything. Second stay they showed why they'd earn my business again. Best hotel to stay in Daytona. Outdated rooms, but so is everything else in Daytona Beach. Clean hotel, professional front desk & staff. Definitely choose an ocean front view and higher floors. You can open the sliding door and hear the roar of the ocean all day, no balcony space though. Valet parking not worth it to me, they take too long to get your car, and too expensive when considering the extra cost plus tips. Self park is right across the street about 50 yards from south tower. It'll probably be faster to get your car and save $. South tower is the best by far. Did I mentioned they're pet friendly?

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
How awesome to hear you say we are one of the best hotels in Daytona Beach. You’ve made our day! Thank you for that and for your continued loyalty. It’s so nice when we hear such great things from a guest who has returned to stay with us so many times. We appreciate your kind words on our staff and for the cleanliness here at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. We agree there is nothing like the relaxing sound of the ocean and for guests who would like to enjoy a balcony space we do have the 1 bedroom Suite- Oceanfront-Terrace which can accommodate this need. It’s true, we are pet friendly. We know that pets are members of the family too and no vacation is complete for some without them. We hope to see you back for your fifth stay very soon!

West Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is a decent hotel, one of the nicest on the boardwalk. The food is very good and it has a beautiful pool. However, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis in my feet and it just about killed me to have to walk from the North Tower all the way over to the nicer pool which is in the South Tower. They perhaps should be more consider of their guests when they see them struggling to walk the distance. We had a two queen bed suite which was very spacious. We dined at the Restaurants on site and the food and room service was very good.

Room Tip: Bring your walking shoes in case you are in the North Tower.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We appreciate being noted as one of the nicest hotels on the boardwalk and are happy to hear you enjoyed your room accommodations as well as the restaurant and room service. We are sorry to hear of your condition and in situations such as this we wish our guests would consult with the front desk as maybe arrangements could be made for a closer room. Thank you so much for your review, we hope you will be back to stay with us again at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort.

Morriston, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2014

It was a very nice hotel.lots of things to do around this Hotel,shopping, things for kids, Joes crab shack on pier is a good place to eat.. The hotel needs better parking, cars have to line up IN the busy street when people are checking in, it's crazy. YOU HAVE to pay $12 a day plus tax'' to self park your car,which is about a block away,'''' then good luck finding a parking.I just got lucky when someone pulled out. I was afraid to leave the parking area to go anywhere,because I might not find a parking space again..'''' It should be free '''''.my god you have to walk so far to self parking. The pool was nice could have been a little more heated for April.. The grounds looked like they needed more help, I did see people picking things up outside, but i am guessing not enough help.The same trash was on the ground the whole time we were there. The walls in the shower needed some scrubbing a little mold building up. Room was not set up for 4 people only 3 towels ,two coffee cups,etc. But we when called it was there quick. I did call for an extra blanket and it came right away too, only it was damp.. My son called them back explained the blanket was damp and they brought us another one, after opening it up ,it was also damp..Was not happy.. As I looked down from a small balcony , if you can call it a balcony, only one foot standing, no room for chairs just have to stand there only 1- 2 feet of balcony.. I looked down an on the ledge below us was a pool towel that looks like it had been there for many many months, if not longer, it was black with mold on it..I booked it on Book -it .com so we did get a reasonable price. The women at the desk was awesome i can't remember her name, she gave us a side/ocean room ..5 th floor. that was very nice of her..One of the days the maid never even came by to make beds or check to see if we needed anything.. The other days were fine, I know we could have called but i would think she should have knocked to to see if we needed anything. as my son was there all day .

Room Tip: higher floors less noise. south side building was nice you could see pools and beach. The hotels is...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We’re glad to hear you thought we were a very nice hotel. Our location right on The World’s Most Famous Beach gives our guests a prime beach area and also a great boardwalk with so many amenities. Parking in any city can be expensive and busy especially in a highly traveled vacation destination area such as ours. We understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience our guests experience while parking. All of our fees are published on our website for guests to review before booking their reservation. We appreciate your comments and will review them and your pictures with our team. We hope you will be back in the future for another stay with us at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort, maybe in an Oceanfront-Terrace Suite where you would be able to enjoy a beautiful balcony space.

kings mountain, United States
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I would recommend this hotel if you are on vacation as there are a lot of things to do in and around the facility. I also recommend going to Joes crab shack and the Ocean Deck bar that are located just a short walk down the boardwalk.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Tim H
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel and for your compliment to our staff. Being located right on The World’s Most Famous Beach really does offer anyone traveling to the area many choices in entertainment and attractions. We’re glad you stayed with us at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort and hope to be welcoming you back someday soon.

North Florida
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The hotel itself is nice. Front desk staff were great. Check-in was a breeze--even though there were a lot of people checking in. Valet staff were hustling to get everyone in. HOWEVER, the staff in food service areas (Doc Bales and Legend's) were very inattentive and slow. At Doc Bales, we had the breakfast buffet. The food is very good, but the service is lacking. Our "server" came to our table once to pour coffee and take our order. We never saw him again until we were finished and ready to leave. We tried to get a "quick" bite to eat at Legend's, the resort's sports grill. Again, the food was great, but when I pay $40 for a hot dog, hamburger, and pizza, I expect the staff to pay more attention to ME and other customers than to watching the sports being shown on the TVs. After sitting we waited for EIGHT minutes before anyone came to our table. He brought menus and took drink orders. During our wait for his return to take our orders we started looking around to see if any servers could be spotted. We saw none walking around the floor, but we did spot three of them standing with their arms folded watching the basketball game. They even erupted in a loud cheer when a goal was scored. After finishing our meal, we waited in excess of FIFTEEN minutes just sitting at the table waiting on someone to come by so we could ask for the check. The quality of the food met Hilton standards, but the level of service fell way short in the food service areas.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms in South Tower overlook the amusement park, which is brightly lit at night. On the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
It’s such a pleasure to read that you thought our hotel was nice and that service was exceptional for both your check in and valet process although disappointing to read about our food staff. We’d like to assure you that this is not a common occurrence in our restaurants and would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Your feedback is appreciated as it helps us to focus on areas that may need to be addressed so that we may ensure each guest has the best possible experience when staying with us at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. We do hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you again in the future and exceed your expectations.

Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Hilton was amazing. The front desk was polite, the room was comfortable and clean. We had a great view of the ocean. The Hilton had great places to eat within the hotel. The bar by the pool was nice also. It is in a great location in which you could would walk to most places. I loved my stay, I which it could have been longer.

1 Thank Adrienne M
We love your review and wish you could have stayed longer too! Thank you for your acknowledgement on so many good aspects of our hotel, amenities and location. We hope you’ll be back again to stay with us at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort when in need of another great place to stay.