“Over priced”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Over priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

6 nights were over a $1200 plus was charged 2 days at $21 ea for valet parking which was never used..calling now to hopefully have that removed. $10/day internet charge and the toliet seat was for 6 ft tall or more but the shower wss for 4 ft tall people.

• Stayed July 2014
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We encourage all guests to review our website for all information on our resort as well as any fees before booking their accommodations. Also, reviewing your final bill before check out will help to clear any misunderstandings or confusion. Our resort fee of $12 not only includes the unlimited in-room Wi-Fi but $5 off your food and beverage purchase up to $50 or $10 off your purchase over $50, a one hour boogie board or bike rental, a 15% discount on regularly priced clothing in our Beach Emporium Shop, a 15% discount off a facial or massage service in our Spa and much more. We hope you were able to clear up any confusion with your bill by now. Thank you for your feedback.

Tom Manno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Orlando, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Our anniversary is close to the 4th of July, so we always have to book early wherever we go. This was our 30th, and for every other anniversary we have never had a problem getting the current rates applied or discounted to since they are generally significantly less than when I had to pre-book. Not so here. They refused and stuck to the claim that they couldn't do anything because of the 72 hour cancellation policy. Strange no other hotels have had this problem, or other Hilton's for that matter. But regardless, this was my last stay at a Hilton.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We are sorry to hear of this experience during your recent anniversary stay with us. We do not wish to hear that any experience has caused a guest to no longer wish to stay with the Hilton Hotels. With not having all the details and in this limited format it is hard to understand or rectify. Please reach out to me at directly at tmanno@hiltondaytona.com or 386-947-8003 so I may be of further assistance. Thank you.

Poinciana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

In a word... disappointing! This "premium" Resort, its rooms, restaurants, etc., are tired and shabby. The furniture is worn, unclean and dated, but nothing a complete make over wouldn't help, and it's surely needed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

We are sorry our hotel did not meet your expectations. Our renovation is scheduled to begin soon. We know that with our location and our updated facilities we will excel and we hope you will return so that we may have the chance to exceed all of your expectations at that time.

Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is my second time at this hotel. And if last year I didn't have any problems, there were few I have to point out this time around.
Obviously it is season, and the place is crowded. So, be ready for this - it is kind of like a cruise ship. I stayed here for a business for a week, same time as last year.
When I was doing laundry on one of my last days, dryer didn't work. I put my clothes inside, fed machine with $2.25 and left. I came back after 60 minutes, and my stuff was wet. Dryer just tumbled my things, there was not heat. So, I came down to the front desk and reported the problem. I had to explain the clerk why do I need $2.25 - he couldn't understand why does he need to reimburse me. Not a big deal. I got the money and watched him calling somebody about the dryer. I went back, put my things in the other dryer, came back after 60 minutes. My stuff was dry. Somebody was using the bad dryer - I touched it, it was cold. So nobody attempted to do anything, not even putting a sign on it. Another unhappy customer probably went down to the front desk.
Also, if you visit this place and are planning on doing laundry, keep in mind, that there are two towers, and each tower has only one laundry facility with two laundry machines and dryers. That's it! Be ready for the line.
Housekeeping seemed to be coming in the room at the end of the day when I was coming back from work. I was leaving every day at 6:00 am, coming back at around 3:00 PM. Not enough time? I understand, that this is season, everybody are busy, but come on? Every day? Last year it was no problem whatsoever.
Unclear policies about beach use. No buoys, no clear rules about swimming. If somebody wants to swim farther than usual 50 yards, they are being "saved" by guards. I understand that many people are drunk, and might do stupid things, but maybe some clear rules of beach use would be good?
Resorts have slightly different rules, I understand. Here is non-free breakfast, non-free parking at the hotel (and small free parking lot across the street), more expensive laundry and some other little perks. But early checkout fee? You kidding me, right? I checked out a day earlier. $50 early check out fee. This is season, you can sell the room. I worked in many hotels, traveled in many places, I don't know, maybe it is a common practice, but I have never seen it. If you make a reservation, and don't show up, or cancel at the last moment, many hotels will charge you some fee, that's normal. 24 hour cancellation policy. But early checkout fee during season? This is level of Super8, not Hilton.
Other than these few perks, this is still a great place. I would change few policies though. Great restaurant is located inside this hotel, which I will review next!

Room Tip: Ask ocean front room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Well, you had us hanging on there, until you said this is still a great place. We appreciate you returning to the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort for your business trips for the last two years. It is a very busy time here at the hotel, were glad you do understand that, and although our staff goes above and beyond to give our guests the best experience possible, sometimes things can take a little longer than we would like to be addressed during these busy times. Several packages are available on our website which includes breakfast in the cost of your stay. Guests are encouraged to review our website for all pertinent information in reference to our hotel, packages and fees before booking their reservations. Your suggestions and comments will be reviewed with our team and we look forward to your return business visit with us again next year.

New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

You really can't beat the location and the amenities of this hotel in Daytona Beach. Neat, clean, good service, right in the heart of Daytona Beach. Lots of restaurants and bars walking distance away. Rooms were clean and spacious. Had a great view of the sunrise coming up over the water. Highly recommend ocean view if you can get it.

Only negative is the valet parking. It can get really busy at times and the wait for your car can be 15-20 minutes. The valet's hustle and try to accommondate but the loading/unloading area is tight and can only hande 6 -7 cars at a time. You can self park across the street but not sure if that is a good location.

Would like to go back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: get the ocean view room. beautiful sunrise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We would love for you to come back for a longer stay too! We’re glad you found the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort to be neat and clean with good service. Our location you are right, just can’t be beat, we appreciate that you also think our amenities can’t be beat either. There is nothing more relaxing for the soul than the view of the sunrise and the sounds of the ocean from one of our oceanfront rooms, we do agree. With our location being so popular and this busy time of year it may at times create a more than busier parking lot especially during check-in. We appreciate your review and do hope to see you back for another stay with us soon.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Hilton Daytona Beach is a fabulous hotel if your looking for a romantic beach getaway or a great place for true good old fashion family fun. Located directly on the beach this hotel has a wonderful breakfast buffet, great restaurants and bars and a variety of surrounding good restaurants,live music and activities for kids. A wonderful unique gift shop, a great spa a nearby theater, fun boardwalk,great fishing pier, places to rent surf boards, bicycles and beach umbrellas and chairs, all in walking distance. Your a short drive to The Daytona Speedway or an hour from Orlando if you get tired of the beach. The hotel could use a little updating but overall it is very comfortable, good sized rooms and the east side has beautiful views of ocean. The patio is extremely small not a patio you can go out on at all more just a door with a railing you can look over, but there are cabanas on the bottom floor with patios, the cabanas also have microwave and refrigerators but these have no hotel access and you have to go outside to get to them making them a little inconvenient.
As great as a place as this is I would think twice about returning on a holiday weekend, we have visited this property on multiple occasions over the years and always had stellar service but over July 4 weekend this year the staff seemed a little worn thin and overwhelmed, we were snapped at by more then 1 employee, there were never enough towels at the pool, long waits for breakfast in the mornings, the valet was very unorganized twice took our car to the wrong area another time it was over an hour before we got it. The list goes on but these are things that only happened on this very busy weekend. In the the past when hotel was not as busy the service was always great.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room if possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Wow! We love your descriptive review of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort and all of the area’s amenities and attractions. We do want to let you know however that we do have rooms available such as the Oceanfront-Terrace Suite where you would be able to enjoy a beautiful balcony space to relax on. Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel and for returning to stay with us so many times over the years. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience or less than stellar service that you may feel you experienced. As you stated by being a loyal guest with us so many times, this is not a common practice here. Our staff loves to go above and beyond to give our guests the best experience possible. Your comments will be reviewed with our team. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will indeed return again soon so that we can continue to fulfill those expectations.

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I booked four ocean view rooms for my family for a few days before the 4th. We get to the hotel a little after three and was told only two of the rooms were ready. So we parked and checked out the two rooms and was happy to see that they were on the third floor with no walk out balcony. When I made reservations months in advance I was told that all the rooms would have one. I first called downstairs and was told they couldn't do anything so I went down and spoke to the supervisor who found us four rooms with the balconies that were ready. I can't remember her name but she was on duty Tuesday the 1st. She went out of her way to try to get us close together but one room had to be on a different floor. My Room was on the 10th floor. It was nice and clean. The beds were very comfortable and the towels were close to the best of any hotel I have been to. The view was beautiful. We were up graded to oceanfront even the one room that was city view. The only problem we had was one of the rooms smelled like they just sprayed for bugs on the 4th floor. And there were crumbs under the blankets in two of the rooms both on 4th floor. The hotel is in a very good spot. We walked everywhere we went. The pool area was clean and we enjoyed the indoor outdoor one everyday. We never made it to the 5th floor pool and the kids didn't get to go to the kids program. We did use the free appetizer a day which we got wings or loaded fries both very good. We didn't care for the drinks much from the inside bar but the bar by the pool drinks were very good and the prices were good. We really enjoyed out trip and would return and recommend to anyone looking for a nice hotel on the beach. It is a little dated and 4th floor need to clean a little better. Last thing is the breakfast buffet is really not worth the twenty dollars. The food was good but for that amount there should have been more choices. It reminded me of the free breakfast buffets at other hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your great review of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. It’s so nice to hear that you really enjoyed your trip and would recommend our hotel. We apologize for any confusion you may have experienced during your check-in and are thrilled to hear that the manager on duty was able to secure the rooms you had reserved. Knowing that you enjoyed your nice and clean oceanfront room with its great views and possibly the best towels you’ve experienced at a hotel makes us smile. Our hotel is in the process of being updated and refreshed so that our guests can experience a more comfortable stay. We hope that you enjoyed our hotel its location so close to everything that you’ll be back for another stay with us again in no time.