“Would return if hotel updates”

Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village
Ranked #27 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ontario, Canada
“Would return if hotel updates”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel was comfortable. We did enjoy our stay. I cannot give it a 5 star because I felt it was dated. The bathroom fixtures need updating and there should be a maintenance check before you get your room. Housekeeping should report the moment something is falling apart. Every time housekeeping cleaned our room for some strange reason she would leave the shower head pointing upward and towards the far end of the shower. The result - you turn on the shower and the water immediately splashed out onto the bathroom floor. The logic of facing the shower head so the water hits the tub seems so simple. We purchased the all inclusive breakfast and there was lots of confusion around that for the entire time we were there. I love the location and our room was a Cabana Suite right on the beach. No one told us we could rent an umbrella for the outside of our suite until we left. I would have paid the extra to be able to enjoy the terrace more. Hyde park restaurant is very good food but also overpriced. I have been to comparable restaurants and it was not as costly. Overall it was a good experience. I suggest heat towel racks to be installed to reduce the need for daily towel use. I think all hotels in North America should have this. Most Europe and Indian hotels have heated towel racks. Doesn't management realize that most people ask for towels daily because there is no way for a towel to dry in an enclosed hotel room? I am sure many people do like me and throw it over a chair. Come on with the age of technology our North American hotels cannot compare to what is happening in other countries. Update guys! broken shower handles is not acceptable any longer, just like dated furniture etc. I would recommend this hotel. The staff was nice. But I did notice if you didn't tip big enough the smiles change on the staff's faces. Hotel management should pay their staff so that they don't have to depend on us to cover their salary. I don't mind tipping but it is getting outrageous. People aren't happy with 15% anymore. I feel Like you have to tip big to get that big smile and helpfulness. This doesn't just apply to this hotel. Too many service industries are depending on the consumer to cover the employee's salary through tips. Remember people we are just ordinary workers like yourself saving for a vacation. I would return if this hotel updated. My family and I are pretty laid back and didn't complain. We figure tripadvisor would do the job in smoothing out these smaller issues that are still irritating. Anyone else out there feel the 'tipping' policy is getting outrageous. There were a few times the service was not good, Hyde Park - served our steak with no sides. By the time the sides came the steak was cooling down. The breakfast staff kept forgetting to give us menus and other items. It wasn't crowded, yet we are expected to pay top $$ tip for this service. Why is society changing - are we tipping for the staff to like us? why else would we leave a tip for bad service? Walk away, if the service is bad then don't tip. Too many servers are getting away with bad behavior knowing consumers feel guilty and will still tip. I say stop rewarding bad service.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
We’re glad your stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable. We understand that our guests wish for more up-to-date accommodations as some of our rooms need to be renovated and so we have begun this process just recently. We appreciate your suggestions and comments and will share your review with our team. Thank you for your feedback.

Tom Manno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
Loxahatchee, Florida
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We chose this hotel because of the Hilton reputation, and needed a nice place on the beach while moving our son into Embry-Riddle. When arriving we were told we could valet for 21 $ a nite or park across the street for 14 $ a nite whether we used it or not. Also we would be charged 12 a night for in room wi-fi, whether we wanted it or not. Oh the price was so good until you add these charges on. We chose the parking lot across the street. OMG, was a far walk, with long traffic light, a totally sketchy parking lot un maned. A total deal breaker for us. Luggin our stuff down the street up the hill to the hotel. Decide for yourself, but this is Hilton is a loser with this parking stuff. Even motel six up the street has parking for free. Really?

Room Tip: All the rooms have an ocean view, but no where to sit and watch the sunrise, can't even really o...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Although we are happy to hear you thought the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort was a very nice hotel we are disappointed to hear that other aspects of your stay fell short of your expectations. Wi-Fi is included in our daily resort fee of $12 which also includes $5 off your food and beverage purchase up to $50 or $10 off your purchase over $50, a one hour boogie board or bike rental, a 15% discount on regularly priced clothing in our Beach Emporium Shop, a 15% discount off a facial or massage service in our Spa and much more.
Thank you for your feedback we wish your son the best of luck at Embry-Riddle.

Gainesville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Overall, I rated this as excellent but thought the parking fee was ridiculous! $14 a night for self park and $21 a night for valet! This is Daytona Beach, not a large downtown metropolitan area for goodness sakes!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Jennifer E
Thank you for rating the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort as excellent. We understand our guests’ frustration when it comes to parking although parking in any high travel destination area can get costly and we list all of our fees on our website for guests to review before booking their accommodations. Thank you for your feedback.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Long wait for Valet parking, long wait for the front desk to check in, long wait for Bellman to bring up the cart.

The hallway to the room was Dark & Hot ( we checked in at 9 pm) and not pleased with that at all. Windows in the hallway was dirty!

Went in our room, and found that the housekeeping does poor job cleaning job in the room, and maintenance neglected to change the air filter as I was wondering why my daughter and myself was getting sore throat in the morning, so we checked the air filter found the date of install was 5/17/14 and Its 8/22/14 and full of dust, and realized the room was not really cleaned well, as found dust everywhere in the room.

Went to the pool area and saw many neglected issues there as a poor maintenance issues everywhere, rusted steel plates, needed paint job, floor slippery.

Our room overlooked the pool in South tower. Awesome view of the pier and to our luck, there was fireworks on Sat night we were watching them right in our room!

Hotel mentioned that there's resort fee daily of $12 plus taxes and it enables us to receive free breakfast for kids under 10 and some other stuff.

Went to restaurant for breakfast and inquired about the free breakfast, Hostess said yes not a problem, I asked any restrictions. she said no. We decided to do breakfast buffet which was alright..

Check came, They had charged me for kids breakfast $14.95 I asked the waitress that resort fee includes free breakfast for kids, she said oh its for regular menu items not for the breakfast buffet, I mentioned the Hostess said nothing about it, said yes free kids breakfast. She said oh sorry, she will handle it and removed the charge. (poor communication by staff hmm)

Otherwise its just an average hotel No big deal except for the awesome view of the pier.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for South tower pool view room, because of fireworks every Saturday evening!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
While we are glad that you enjoyed the views along with the fireworks from your room here at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort we are sorry to hear that other aspects of your stay may have fallen short of your expectations. We can assure you that our housekeeping staff follows strict protocols and procedures daily to ensure the cleanliness of our rooms although we would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced if your air filter may have been missed. Our daily resort fee of $12 which includes Wi-Fi also includes $5 off your food and beverage purchase up to $50 or $10 off your purchase over $50, a one hour boogie board or bike rental, a 15% discount on regularly priced clothing in our Beach Emporium Shop, a 15% discount off a facial or massage service in our Spa, one free kids menu breakfast with adult entree/buffet purchase (12 and under) and much more. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will allow us the opportunity again in the future to serve you.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel needs updating and is not worth the money. The customer service is not that great. Parking is really not great and there are no "real" balconies. You pay a lot of money for a beach front room and can't even walk out onto or sit on your balcony because it is only about an inch wide. Almost every other hotel on the beach has an actual balcony and probably cost less. We were not impressed!

1 Thank Emily A
Hearing that our hotel did not meet your expectations disappoints us this morning. We do want to state however that we do indeed have balcony rooms here at the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. All room descriptions can be reviewed online when making reservations. Both our 1 King Bed Terrace-Oceanview and our 1 King Bed 1 Bedroom Suite-Oceanfront-Terrace offer that balcony space to relax on. Our hotel has currently begun renovations as well and we hope that you will return one day to experience one of our terrace rooms in our newly updated hotel.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Nice clean room . Amazing view from our window . We upgraded to an ocean view for $15 extra but wished we has of kept our sunset view :)
Good clean hotel . Recommended . But we booked thru Expedia or $90 per night , when we were thinking if staying another night they wanted to charge $209 per night , so we decided against it

Stayed August 2014
We appreciate your review and recommendation of the Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort. Thank you for your comments on our clean accommodations. The views here are amazing, we’re glad you were able enjoy them during your stay and hope you will return again in the future to experience them again.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I just stayed here for two nights while visiting my father. My first impression was not good. I was told upon checkin (I arrived at 3:15) that the earliest I could get room was 4 pm since i was a "prepay". I noticed Others were getting their room keys. I asked about self parking she told me it was plentiful...went to it and it was full so I had to valet. I came back at 4pm to actually check in and was told of a resort fee that was not mentioned on booking.com. In fact my reservation said I would receive free internet. The idiot, who was not the most friendly told me the free internet was included in the resort fee? What?? ...I will be protesting that fee. Resort fee is stupid (all hotels have gyms, pools. The room (which my reservation said gardenview) overlooked the roof etc). Then room was clean but the furniture was beat up.

On a positive note, the bar, restaurant, shop, and valet employees were all nice.

In short staying here via third party vendor is a "buyer beware". If you don't upgrade you are treated like a 2nd class citizen. Hotel rooms need upgrades unless I had the crappy room because i dared to get a discount rate. There are better hotels on beach to stay at.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank WelltraveledITguy
DaytonaHilton, General Manager at Hilton Daytona Beach / Ocean Walk Village, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
While we appreciate you stating that your accommodations here were clean we would like to reassure you that no guests are ever treated differently based on their booking preference. Our staff at the front desk staff must follow protocols and procedures which are the same for all guests. All of our fees are listed and described on our website. Our resort fee includes the Wi-Fi, $5 off your food and beverage purchase up to $50 or $10 off your purchase over $50, a one hour boogie board or bike rental, a 15% discount on regularly priced clothing in our Beach Emporium Shop, a 15% discount off a facial or massage service in our Spa and much more. We cannot guarantee any information provided by a third party booking site, we can only guarantee what is provided on our website and we encourage guests to review our website before making their reservations for complete information on our hotel. Thank you for your feedback.