“Great Place”
Review of Sierra Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Daytona Beach
Sierra Suites
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Georgia
“Great Place”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Great place on the beach. No parking! Access to the beach is private and safe. Rooms are ok but not great. Very kid friendly. Pool area is great. Great restaurants near by, no eateries on premises. No bathroom near pool. No elevator but only 2 floors so luggage is manageable. No fitness center. Great for families.

2 Thank Bugaboo65
rick1836, Owner at Sierra Suites, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Yes this is a great place on the beach so not sure why you only rated the motel a 2 for location. You also said we were great for families but only rated us a 1 on cleanliness and rooms. I find that a bit confusing. Anyway you stayed here before this year so you knew we did not have a restaurant, fitness center, bathrooms by the pool or an elevator,nor do we advertise any of those amenities. We are a small motel with condo style units that have full kitchens so we do not find a restaurant to be necessary and because we are small a bathroom by the pool is not needed because you can be in your own unit using your own bathroom in a short distance. We could not get an operating license if we had NO Parking. Our parking is tight on the oceanside, but we also have parking across the street. That is why our confirmations state only one car allowed per unit, although we do try to accommodate up to 2 per unit. I'm not sure why you came back when you were so unsatisfied. You were with the same family as the first impression review and the seven year old review. You are all upset because I asked the daily visitor, the 11th person in the unit to leave. We are very particular about the cleanliness of our motel. For example, we clean our floors on our hand and knees so we know they are clean. Our rooms are comfortable, clean and well taken care of. If a guest is unsatisfied, I understand because you cannot please everyone, but why would you stay an entire week if you were so unhappy and the unit was so dirty and unsatisfactory.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I visit Daytona Beach every year, mostly staying at home owner rentals to relax and get away.  But this year I stayed at Sierra Suites with my best friend and her family.  They vacation there every year and absolutely love SS. But i'm all about first impressions.  When we arrived the owner opened up the door to the office and it reeked with cigarette smoke, with butts overflowing in the ashtray.  And he smoked the entire time we were getting the keys to the room.  I'm not a smoker and try not to judge others that do, but when we walked out my entire clothes smelt awful.  There is very little parking, which at times is difficult to move cars, but it can be done.  Our room was nice and roomy not as clean as I would have liked, the tub was not cleaned and a roach was dead in the tub. We washed all the towels before using because they smelled like cigarette smoke.  Some of the appliances are old and need replacing. The location is awesome and right on the beach. However, the week we were there I think about 30-40 kids were there, so getting in the pool to relax and swim around was a challenge.  It seemed like most of the rooms were over booked for a small residence on the beach.  No different than a big hotel!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Cupcakepat
rick1836, Owner at Sierra Suites, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
First, let me say this same review was posted 8/1/12 and I wrote a response. Then it disappeared and reappeared dated 8/26/12 without my response. I guess you did not like my response and that is why the first one was removed. So here we go again. These guests checked in and went to the store. About an hour later they told me the refrigerator was not cooling. I went to the unit with someone from the unit to check the refrigerator. I found the door was not closed properly. I told them to make sure the door was always closed tightly, and if they had any more problems please call me. I'm amazed that nobody said anything about smoky towels, a bug in the tub, and the tub being dirty. I would have gladly exchanged the towels, sprayed the unit, and cleaned the tub. Our units are nonsmoking so I do not smoke in the units at any time. We wash our towels with Tide, Clorox and OxyClean. My wife folds and hangs the towels and she does not smoke, so I do not know how the towels smelled like smoke. I spray monthly inside and outside for bugs. I clean the tubs with Clorox Cleanup and Tilex. Some of the tubs may have spots from wear and tear or age, but all are clean. The appliances in the unit are a 36" black smooth top stove, a black dishwasher, a black over the stove microwave which are all 2006 Whirlpool. The washer/dryer combo is a frigidaire gallery 2005, and the refrigerator is white Hotpoint side by side w/ice and water out the door. So I guess old is a matter of opinion, but since I wrote the first response the refrigerator has been replaced with a 2012 Black Whirlpool refrigerator w/ice and water out the door. If you do not want alot of children in the pool, you should not book a unit during the summer months when school is out. Every unit had families with children. You were in a unit with the maximum number of guests allowed that also included children, so I find it ironic that you should complain of overcrowding. We have a pool deck, a second deck, another area with tables and lounge chairs and a courtyard so we have never had anyone else complain about overcrowding. I do keep track of how many people are in each unit so they do not go over the maximum allowed to try and prevent overcrowding. That is why the 11th person in your unit was asked to leave. Our parking is tight on the ocean side which is why on your confirmation, it states one car per unit. We do accommodate another car across the street if possible. In your case you had up to 3 cars for your unit.
Yes, I do smoke, but I only smoke outside and in my office. You did not book the room so I'm not sure why you would stand in the office while I was smoking if it offended you. I spend very little time in my office because my wife and I do all the laundry, cleaning, maintenance and anything else that needs done. So I'm only in my office to check guests in. I give the guests my cell phone number in case there is a problem or they need something. I live on the premises so I am always just a phone call away.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We just came back from staying 7 days at Sierra Suites on Daytona Beach, Fl. We found our vacation to be very enjoyable and relaxing. Plenty of outside furniture for you around the pool area or on the pool deck facing the ocean. Plenty of seating on your porch area and in the very nice courtyard. The owner lives on site and you will most likely always spot him around the property checking on things and constantly cleaning. Rick and Ada want you to be comfortable and are interested in wanting you to be pleased and happy. This is a small, very family oriented premise with a great atmosphere. You will find grocery stores and drug stores within a short driving distance. The locked entrance to the beach leaves you with a safe feeling. We also enjoyed the use of the grills in the courtyard area. We would certainly look forward to being their guests again!

Room Tip: Ocean front always a must for me!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I found this to be a relaxing, enjoyable place to stay. Great beach access!
I found the rooms to be very clean, I actually witnessed them cleaning and they do a superior job. Rich cleans the floors on his hands and knees, how many owners do you know that do that?
I don't smoke, but Rich does and noticed that he doesn't smoke in any of the rooms and didn't find that anything in the rooms smelled of smoke.
The Rich and Ada were always available, came around often to see if we were enjoying our stay and actually played cornhole with us on the deck. We had a great time!
We will be going back next year!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike M
kathleen
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I would like to comment on the negative review regarding the owners. I will be spending my 2nd week at Sierra Suites in August. I go there twice a year for a relaxing and fun filled vacation. You couldn't ask for better hosts than Rick and Ada. Yes, the oceanside parking lot is very small and can only hold a handful of vehicles. This is why the one car per unit requirement is there. However, if you have someone joining you that has a vehicle, all you have to do is let Rick or Ada know and they will gladly allow you to park that vehicle across the street. It's not fair to the other guests for people to try and cram as many folks into one unit, after the fact, in order to get a smaller unit at a more reasonable price. If there were to be extra's that will be joining someone, they should look into renting the 3 bedroom 2.5 bath.

My sister and niece may be coming up from Fort Myers while I'm staying at Sierra Suites next month. I have already notified Rick and Ada of this and that they will be needing to park their Chevy Avalance across the street. Rick has no problem with this and thanked me for notifying me in advance.

If you want a big place with a big parking lot, there are many hotels on Daytona and the surrounding beaches where you can share the pool with 100s of people, listen to loud music, wait for elevators and be around alot of drinking. Rick and Ada run a quiet and relaxing resort. Somewhere where you can forget about your problems and just kick back, have fun and relax.

Rick and Ada give you their cell phone number and its posted on the premises. They also live on the premises. Having stayed at the Sierra Suites for a few years now, I know that Rick would have done whatever he could have to help this family out . . . . especially if there was an illness.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Debbie L
Middleburg, Florida
Reviewed 27 July 2012

First of all, I do not know where the "wonderful" owners were at! I guess they took the week off because I have never been so humilitated by him in my entire life. My 7 year old daughter and I had been looking forward to spending a week with family, but instead turned out to be a nightmare. My husband came to visit us the 3rd day we were there to celebrate his birthday with us. He parked his vehicle across the street (they have NO parking). We went to dinner and around midnight, the owner was calling my Aunt stating that the guy in the truck needs to leave now. My husband did not plan on spending the night but he had gotten sick after dinner(we had 11 people, 6 adults and 5 children in a 2 bedroom with 4 queen size beds and a sofa sleeper, we had plenty of room for him to stay one night). We tried to explain this to Mr. Wonderful but he all he kept telling my family was that we need to pack up now and leave. I did pack up my child, while in her pajamas, and we left. My child cried the entire 2 hour drive back home. Now on Sunday, I told the owner that I was going to park my car at the garage so he would not complain about the cars taking up his small parking lot. He told me that I did not need to do that, just park across the street. One minute he tells you can do something and when you do it, he is calling you asking you why you did that. He is very contradicting. Now I will tell you that this place is by far the best spot on the beach. Great rooms, great pool, great access to the beach, but all that is useless when you have to beware of a contradicting OWNER. Thanks for your "hospitality"! My family may come back to stay, but I will not. Thank you for making a memory that will last a lifetime for my 7 year old and me having to explain to her why we had to leave. How can she understand it, when I can't.

7 Thank Stephanie A
rick1836, Owner at Sierra Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2012
The person writing this review was not asked to leave with her 7 year old daughter. The only person requested to leave was the visitor. She chose to leave with the 'here for the day' visitor of her own accord. On Sunday, this family arrived with 2 vehicles and 10 people to stay in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 queen beds, & 2 full beds that comfortably sleeps 8 and has a maximum capacity of 10. They were told they could park one vehicle on the oceanside, but had to park the second vehicle across the street due to limited parking. She would not be required to pay to park it somewhere else because we were willing to accommodate the second vehicle even though we have a one car per unit limit. On Tuesday, another vehicle showed up and nobody notified me about it or more guests arriving, so I started asking guests about the vehicle. This family said the vehicle was theirs and he was only staying for the day so I said ok. We normally do not allow daily visitors because we believe all of our paying guests should be able to enjoy the facilities without overcrowding. If someone does have a visitor they are required to leave by 11pm. At midnight the visitor was still here, so I called the unit and told them he had to leave or they could all leave. Nobody called me after dinner to explain he was ill or if I had somewhere to accommodate him. They just assumed they did not have to follow the rules and could put another person in a unit already filled to capacity. The wonderful owner is always around and lives on the property.
Live Oak, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The hotel is very clean and sits right on the beach. It's very kid friendly. A nice courtyard with grills. You will feel at home when you stay at Sierra Suites. I have loved staying here every since i was a little kid. The owners are very nice and keep the hotel very clean. The pool is nice with furniture so you can sit around the pool. The hotel is also very peaceful and quiet. It's better than staying in a huge hotel. The owners (Rick and Ada Harman) are like family to me. They are very nice. The hotel is better than the highrises you see in Daytona. Staying at Sierra Suites is like a home away from home. I like the hotel because it's small and it has a great atmosphere. I can say when I have kids this is where I will come because my family has been coming here for fourteen years. I will never stay in a huge hotel I will be at Sierra Suites.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice.
2 Thank Makayla B
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Daytona Beach
Daytona Inn Beach Resort
Daytona Inn Beach Resort
#48 of 73 in Daytona Beach

Been to Sierra Suites? Share your experiences!