“Not bad for the price”

Ranked #34 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Indiana
“Not bad for the price”
Reviewed 23 July 2007

My husband and I stayed here mid-July and found it to be satisfactory to our needs, i.e. a relaxing vacation at the beach. The hotel is not new but also not old and dingy either. We stayed here for $79 a night for an oceanfront and were pleased with what we got. The view was great, nothing better than looking out on the ocean! The pool was great, big enough for the kids AND adults to swim in. Also, when we were there the hot tub was working fine. The hotel is also located in a convenient location, close to the restaurants and shops, but not on top of all the loud action at night. We did bring our bikes, which made getting around Daytona a breeze. It did appear that the hotel was being worked on, which is a good thing, but we were not disturbed by any noise or by workers. Lastly, regarding posts about pigeons..yes they were present, but name somewhere near the water especially an ocean front that does not have them.

• Liked — right on the beach
  • Disliked — front looks old
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lizast
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2015
We appreciate your review! We have renovated our property since you last visited and welcome you back to see what we have improved on.

Ariel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 June 2007

My two friends and I just recently stayed at Harbour in a privately owned 6th floor condo. When driving up, it was apparent that construction was being done to some of the porches on one side of the building. Walking in, the building seemed a little outdated but seemed taken care of. The pool is definitely a plus. There's lots of chairs to lay out in and tables to eat at. The pool is not always clean of bugs though. Also, because of work on it, the hottub was only open half of the week we stayed. Our room was very nice and taken care of. The only thing we didn't like was the porch. There definitely is a pigeon problem here. Even without feeding the pigeons, they constantly are walking on the porches and there was a large pile of droppings in the corner of our porch, hidden by a plant. It was pretty disgusting. We had a problem with construction noise. Every morning at 8:00 AM, construction began. It wasn't even happening on our floor but sounded like a jackhammer was going into the floor above us. We ended up complaining about his and were told that construction will be going on 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM for a year. If I ever were to come back, it will definitely be after a year. If you are looking to go out at night, waking up at 8:00 each day isn't too much fun. Overall, our experience was good. There are several things that need to be worked on at this place, but it seems like they are moving in the right direction.

• Liked — The pool and location
  • Disliked — Construction noise
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Danni415
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our resort. We have updated our resort since you last came and hope to see you again!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 5 June 2007

My husband and I booked a one bedroom villa through a Westgate owner at Harbour Beach Resort. While the exterior appearance of the resort was disappointing, the interior parts that I saw were not bad at all! The staff was very friendly and helpful. I did see on a bulletin board a memo from the Condo Owners Association to the condo owners at the resort that there was going to be an exterior rennovation of the resort, and they are in the process of voting for various rennovations. There were constantly people there doing some type of work on the resort, but it did not seem to interfere with the guests' enjoyment of the resort.

We were in room 103 and it was spacious, clean and was located on the first floor right by the pool. I did see a few pigeons, but never saw evidence of any pigeon droppings around the pool area or on any of the first floor patios. The furniture in the living room area was comfortable and clean. The bed was huge! The pool area was beautiful and clean. There was a nice hot tub and plenty of beach chairs and tables. The pool hours were from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m., which was a little frustrating when we tried to sleep in a couple of days after being up late. On the other side of the pool was the beach, which was beautiful, clean and not really very crowded.

My only complaints about the room were that the television in the bedroom did not work, the kitchen light was burnt out upon arrival and one of the slats from the vertical blinds in the bedroom kept falling, leaving a small gap, making it necessary for me to change clothes in the bathroom or the living room. These are minor complaints and would not deter me from recommending the resort or returning myself. Maintenance did fix the kitchen light but advised us that the television was broken and that new tvs were on order. Fortunately the television in the living room worked so we weren't totally without tv the entire trip and were able to keep track of the storms at sea, which never caused us one day's worth of bad weather.

There were two bathrooms - a small bathroom with a stand-up shower in the bedroom, and a bathroom off of the living room with a jacuzzi tub. I saw no mold in either bathroom and both were very clean. The kitchen was well stocked with dishes, a toaster, paper towls, microwave, stove, etc. and the refrigerator had an ice maker, which was nice. Overall, we had a great time and I can honestly say I would stay at this resort again.

• Liked — The room was nice and clean, had a beautiful pool area and was on a great stretch of beach.
  • Disliked — The vertical blinds in the bedroom could use replacing and you have to go to the hotel lobby to use the wireless internet.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingTamela

Niagara, Ontario
Reviewed 15 April 2007

This Resort was a study in contradictions. It is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation and will certainly be a destination in the future. However, right now you have to have a reason to stay here. It has a beautiful pool and pool area. The beach is great. The lobby area is o.k. and there is a cafe that is open only certain hours.
The place is a strange mixture of privately owned units operated by the Harbour Beach Owners Assoc'n, and other units owned by Westgate Resorts. If you can get a room on the first two, maybe three floors, you will probably have a good experience. Anything above that will be chancy. They have a pigeon problem and the units on either side of us had balconies so full of pigeon poop they made it impossible to use our balcony without feeling sick. Also, the higher balconies have not been kept up and they are not a place you want to spend any time. They outdoor hallways and walkways on the upper floors need renewal. It is not a pleasant walk to your unit. We were in a Westgate unit on the 7th floor that was just o.k. once you were inside the door and if you stayed off the balcony.
I don't know the prices of other places on the beach as we chose this because of Westgate's reputation. It was not up to it.
If you absolutely must be on Daytona Beach, this would be a decent place if you had a lower unit.

• Liked — beach and pool
  • Disliked — pigeon problem on upper balconies
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Liz42

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Indiana
Reviewed 2 December 2006

This is the worst place i have ever stayed. The night before we stayed in a Motel 6 and it was like staying in the Hilton compared to this place. The people were rude, you couldn't get any service and when you ask its like you are bothering them!! The door said that they would be locked at 7:oopm to 7:00 am, we got back to the hotel at a little after 6:00 pm and we were locked out!! no one to call had 2 small children and we had to wait for someone to come out. It was very dirt. We had a mouse eat our bread and my youngest was scared of the cockroches!! When i complained i was told this is Florida we have cockroches. In other words oh well. The sliding doors wouldn't work. We couldn't wash clothes because you needed special cards and they were out of them. The rooms were dirty and we left early.

Kim Indiana

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — service and was very very dirty
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank skneal

Kentucky
Reviewed 12 September 2006

My wife and I are owners at the Westgate in Gatlinburg, TN, and if anyone has been there they know it's great. It is VERY nice. This was my wife and I one year wedding anniversary and we wanted to go to the beach, so we exchanged our week to the Westgate in Daytona Beach. Let me tell you, this place in Daytona is a DUMP. Westgate needs to sell their space there and move out. I'm actually typing this up from the Cocunut Palm Spring resort in New Symrna Beach, just south of Daytona. I called Westgate and complained and they got Interval on the phone, and they moved me down here. The customer service Westgate and Interval provided was great, they were very responsive and willing to make it right. I'll never go back to Westgate Daytona Beach. Not only is the building rough, the whole area around it is rough. Stay away from here, stay away from Daytona all together. Trust me....

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Go somewhere else, don't stay at Westgate Daytona Beach.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Greg K

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2006

Sometimes a review can be pretty helpful to others....I hope this one is helpful , because I'll tell you... The management there is rude and really dosen't want to get up fom her chair to accomodate you. Towels were a NO NO if you needed any. "QUOTE": You'll have to wait till Wednesday...NO one gets new towels till Wednesday!" Now, that may not be rude to some people, but it was a greeting like " NOW what do you want?" in her eyes.
Construction is good. you always need improvements, but by gosh...TELL us before hand! I sat out on my patio and nearly had a broken piece of cement hit me from the roof. Ya, I know, what kinda lunk head would sit under construction workers? Well, i wasn't really near them, they were actually 5 units away. This had to be a stray one.
Housekeeping is terrible. They had their "Cleaning staff" clean our room before we checked in...... I'm just wondering if these people know how to use cleaning fluids and a mop? The floors were terrible and the walls had some kind of food stain on them near the table. I ended up cleaning the floors myself because I couldn't stand the the stickyness and leftover gunk on the floor from the previous tenant.
It's very hard to recommend this place to anyone unles you're looking for just a place to sleep at night and be out of the room all day.
Good luck, but if you stay in Daytona Beach, go down the road a ways and get into one of the 5 star places. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed May 2006