“Embry-Riddle College Tour”

Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport
Ranked #26 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My son is doing the "college tour" so we are traveling to many towns for the first time. I picked this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews and the fact that we're Marriott Reward members. Everyone here was so nice and helpful!

We came in the night before our Embry-Riddle tour. We started with a FREE airport shuttle by calling the front desk from our gate. I had called them the day before and they assured me I could get everywhere without a rental car. That was true! Check in was a breeze and the hotel was clean, airy and not very busy. I liked the lounge decor of the large lobby with couches, big screen TV, fireplace (in FL?) and business center for printing our boarding passes.

Our room was ready and roomy for mom, dad and teen son. We even got a balcony.

We asked the nice front desk lady for a dinner suggestion as we wanted to see Daytona Beach.
With that in hand, we took the free shuttle, again, to the Embry-Riddle campus, to get our bearings and first impression for the next day. We stayed two hours and called a taxi for our 15 minute drive to the ocean.

The city of Daytona Beach, on a Sunday night, was beautiful and we ate at Rossellini's (136 S Atlantic Ave, Daytona Beach) for a wonderful white-table cloth Italian dinner. We walked along the beach and played a few games in the arcade (even 17 year olds can't resist an old-fashioned arcade)

Later that night my son used the workout room at the hotel. We were up and early the next morning, called down for the free shuttle and were off to the campus a mile away. We kept our bags at the front desk. Called the shuttle later in the day, picked up our bags and were dropped off at the Daytona airport. Simple, inexpensive and quite pleasant!!

Thank you to the front desk managers on Sunday and Monday - we will be back if he chooses that school. I also got a college room-discount when I mentioned the reason for our trip. Nice!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
AlexFreid, General Manager at Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Greetings!

My name is Alx Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for choosing Marriott for your recent trip to Daytona Beach and thank you for taking the time to give us such a great review on TripAdvisor.com!

I am happy to hear that your expectations were met, even exceeded, with regards to our hotel's convenience to all areas in Daytona Beach as well as our fantastic Associates. We pride ourselves on making sure all of our guests leave with having a very pleasant experience. I am happy to hear that you had such an experience.

Please come visit us again when/if your son decides to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. We look forward to serving you again in the very near future!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had the pleasure of staying only one night this time :-( wish we could have stayed longer!
Im terrible with names, but the young lady who checked us in was super helpful, went above and beyond in every aspect of our stay. Bed was super comfortable, rooms were like mini apartments, super clean, Breakfast was very good and service there too was great!... my only complaint is we did not have enough time to stay longer, and that is not the hotels fault! :-)

Will definitely stay here again!!!

Room Tip: The king bed rooms also have a sleeper sofa, so if you have kids, choose the king room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
AlexFreid, General Manager at Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Good Morning...

My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for your recent stay with us. I realize that you were only able to stay one night, so you will have to make your next trip a longer one!

Thank you for the great review! We always appreciate positive feedback. It reinforces our commitment to guest service!

Please come back and see again soon... for multiple days next time! :) We look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have never had a more systemically exceptional experience as a Marriott guest than I have in your Daytona Beach property for this 3-night stay. I have stayed in Renaissances in Europe that did not offer the same consistency of outstanding experience.

Check-In (5/14 2:30 PM): Francine? Was amazing, handling a large volume of conference guests, with endless questions re shuttles, directions, etc., with equanimity and grace. I was a problem guest, with 2 separate reservations back-to-back, needed a comb, and called for the shuttle from airport when it was out of commission. I was told to take a cab, and send driver to front desk for payment. When this has happened at other Marriott’s, it was ”sorry, take a cab on your own dime” (which I get) This was above-and-beyond.

Housekeeping (5/16, 11 AM): Very polite, room was immaculate, and quiet in the halls. No missing items, or all Decaf in the coffee supply (common)

Maryetta (who must live here): Endlessly courteous and proactive, obviously loves her job and her staff, and takes enormous pride in the property. My request for an airport shuttle at 4:55 am did not even raise an eyebrow.

Bistro attendant (5/16, 6:30 PM): I forget his name, but he too was courteous, fast with service, and pleasant. The food and drink quality was above expectations.

I honestly cannot find one thing below or even at standard in this hotel. Everything and everyone exceeds expectations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
AlexFreid, General Manager at Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Good Afternoon Lynda...

My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for your recent stay and thank you for taking the time out of your day to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor.com.

Your comments are fantastic and I cannot thank you enough for sharing your great experiences for guests who are looking into staying with us in the future. Your comments are a true reflection of our associates' dedication to providing our guests with memorable experiences every day. Your comments will be shared with all of our staff, to ensure recognition is given to those who made your stay a memorable one. This includes Francine, Maryetta, and all of the other associates you mentioned.

Again, thank you for your business. Guests such as yourself and the experiences you've shared gives all of our associates inspiration and reinforces our focus toward customer service. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me at alex.freid@marriott.com or (386) 255-3388.

Have a fantastic day!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We had hoped for a better experience and the room was booked with two bed. Upon arrival the hotel was overbooked and we got a standard room with only one bed.
The breakfast is a joke and the hotel gave up on fixing our AC and just moved us to another room.
The front desk attempted to fix our shortcomings, but in vain.

We will not return to this hotel next time we are in Daytona Beach area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Morten I
AlexFreid, General Manager at Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Good Morning...

My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott and Residence Inn by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for your recent stay.

I am disappointed to hear that your experience at Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport was not to your expectations. This is certainly not the level of service we provide our guests each and every day. Our goal is to provide every guest with a great experience, from the reservation process through departure. I am sorry to hear that our efforts fell short with your stay.

If you travel back to the Daytona Beach area, please consider us again. I would like to, personally, ensure your accommodations and our service exceed your expectations. Please contact me directly at alex.freid@marriott.com or (386) 255-3388.

Again, please accept my apology for your disappointing visit. We look forward to you giving us another opportunity in the future to serve you.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Courtyard was directly beside airport and adjacent to speedway property. Convenient to good places to eat and to I95. Hotel was very clean and adequately staffed by very professional employees. Greeted with a smile and kind words each time a customer walked in the door.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AlexFreid, General Manager at Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Good Morning...

My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor.com.

As you mentioned in your review, we are ideally located near the airport as well as a central location to all of the Daytona Beach attractions, dining, and more.

Again, thank you for your business. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I noticed a few negative reviews but i decided to book the hotel anyways as ive never been disappointed by a Marriott property and this stay was no different. The room was nice and big and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom had the separate sink area which is nice if traveling with a family/group. The pool area looks nice and relaxing but i was only in town for a few days on business. Nice hotel all around that is close enough to the beach and really close to the airport and racetrack.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AlexFreid, General Manager at Courtyard Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Good Morning....

My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for choosing Marriott hotels in Daytona Beach as well as for taking the time to give us your great feedback on TripAdvisor.com.

We realize there are a lot of choices in the area when it comes to hotels, and we certainly appreciate our Marriott-loyal guests. Our staff goes above and beyond every day to ensure that our guests leave Daytona Beach with great experiences and memories. It is wonderful to hear that our efforts did not fall short with your stay!

Please come visit us again when you are in the Daytona Beach area. We look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was traveling on business and ended up booking a room at this hotel at 8 o'clock in the morning on the same day I was going to be arriving. After traveling from the other coast I was able to arrive at this location at about 4:30 PM on a Tuesday evening. I had no trouble locating the place with my GPS however, it is not readily visible from the main road especially at night, I discovered. This is partially due to some new construction that is taking place in front of it.

At my time arrival they were having a shift change I believe, and both the day and night desk clerks were there checking people in. Both of these ladies were incredibly professional and pleasant as well as personable.

Regarding the lobby, there are many points of interest. When you are standing in the lobby facing the front desk directly behind you is the seating area for the bistro. Personally, I think it would've been better to have some sort of wall right there. Perhaps a decorative one of some sort, even if it was only a half wall, to kind of cordoned off that area little and make it a tad bit more cozy when you are dining or drinking there. The furniture is quite comfortable however and the lighting is decent. The counter area in my opinion seems less like a bistro and more like gaudy fast food with its super large menu above the service area. It doubles as the bar at night and it's just plain ugly. I did make an effort an attempt to have drinks there late in the evening but they did not carry Crown Royal which is pretty much a staple in every bar. The bartender did however apologize which was nice. The place was relatively empty with two other business travelers one watching sports on TV and having a glass of wine in the other one was eating something and having a beer. I would speculate that the place needs a little work in order to make it "happening" for a bar destination. Also in the lobby is a large screen containing an informational/news ticker. This is pretty much standard in all of the Marriott's now and I like it a lot. There is also a large seating area directly behind that informational TV which would be spillover, I assume, for the dining area during breakfast or if the bar was ever jammed, but it's really got some nice cozy furniture. I would suggest some music, even if it's canned at night to help that bar along. Some sort of drink special wouldn't hurt either as the pricing seemed a tad bit steep by a dollar to two dollars. Otherwise, the lobby and bistro areas do offer a fresh/clean first impression.

I was given really good directions by the front desk clerk to my room which was, as a result, very easy to find. When I entered the room I was really pleasantly surprised to see just how large this room is. I stayed in room 259. Let me get one of the very small negatives right out of the way. On my darkness scale, (1 to 10 with 10 being pitch black) this location is probably around a 7 1/2. Not too bad mind you, but there is large seepage under the door and also under the darkening curtain for the mini balcony. Yes, I did say balcony. It's kind of an interesting two-person deal that would be pleasant on a slightly windy cooler night in Florida. Not any kind of a great view mind you but it would still offer you some fresh night air. The air conditioning in the room worked extremely well. I set it down to 67° (I like to sleep cold). I'm fairly certain it wasn't really 67° in the room but I did feel like I got a comfortable sleep as a result of it. And speaking of sleep, as is typical with Marriott's of late, the feather pillows were quite nice the king-size bed came with a total of five pillows. The mattress didn't seem worn in one spot and the sheets and comforter were clean, and fresh so I felt quite cozy. The overall cleanliness of the room appeared to be spotless. There is an available outlet located next to the nightstand and the lamp on the desk has two outlets built into it, which is also extremely nice for gadget people like myself. I connected to the wireless Internet with no issues and was able to watch a couple of YouTube videos, surf through my social media and check email with no issues. The TV was a decent sized flatscreen with a good picture. In the "welcome kit" there were several of the standard items like a TV channel guide but in this room the guide looked like it had water spilled on it and wasn't ever replaced (see pictures). Not a huge deal mind you but sometimes it's the small things that add up. There is an informational channel low on the dial which I actually found to be quite entertaining. It contains looped information regarding restaurants and things to do in the area.

The bathroom area was medium-sized with okay lighting and it contained a standard tub and a showerhead that was adjustable between fine and massage. The closet is located opposite the sink as soon as you walk in the door. The doors for the closet run floor-to-ceiling and they are mirrored which allows the closet to pull double duty. There was an ironing board and iron. There was also a small coffee maker and some coffee present as well. I had no trouble locating the ice machine, and the ice seemed fresh and clean. There is a pullout sofa opposite the desk and the TV rotates so that you could watch TV in bed and or on the sofa. Good planning there! The decor and artwork were interesting and caught my eye having a Japanese flair. The lighting is decent and doesn't seem white and stark.

Okay let's get on with the last small negative and it is quite small (LOL). I awoke and headed into the shower only to discover a millipede crawling around on the bathroom floor. I snapped a couple of pictures with my phone but I wasn't really bothered by the fact that there was one in there, I found it more fascinating than anything. Nevertheless when I was checking out I did show the picture to the clerk. She apologized profusely and offered to buy me breakfast as a result. I was kind of blown away but I decided it would be a good way for me to check out the breakfast area, which I wasn't planning on doing, so I took her up on her offer. You order directly at the counter and then the clerk provides you with a numbered stanchion so that another person can bring out your food. On the morning that I visited this location, the clerk seemed a little bit in disarray. She had forgotten to give me a number and then remembered after I was walking away. She also had a little difficulty locating my room number for some reason. Neither is a huge deal but I felt in fairness I should report it. I only really waited about perhaps 10 minutes before my food was brought out. They have three breakfast entrées if I remember correctly. The one I ordered had scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, and sourdough toast. It's a decent sized portion with what looked like perhaps three eggs. I also had four strips of bacon, two large fistfuls of potatoes and two whole pieces of thick sourdough toast. Everything was prepared nicely. The toast was perfectly browned as were the potatoes. The scrambled eggs were just right in the middle. I was even served butter and jelly and the butter wasn't rock-solid permitting me to actually butter my toast, imagine that! It's a bit pricey however, with a bottle of Ruby red grapefruit juice my total was around $12. Now considering that there is an IHOP within a quarter of a mile of this location, other than the convenience factor of not leaving your hotel, I think I would find it difficult to choose eating breakfast at this location over traveling somewhere with those prices. I ate my breakfast around 9:00 AM and there was a total of four people myself included eating breakfast. I would venture to say they would have a lot more business in their breakfast bistro with a price adjustment. I did leave feeling quite satisfied however and I felt it was really very generous and quite nice of her to offer.

The location of this hotel is really perfect for business travel and perhaps pleasure, I would imagine. It is basically in the airport's backyard and it is situated amongst several restaurants and shops within blocks of it. And within a 20 minute drive, you can get to the beach, Speedway, sports bars, nightclubs, movies, restaurants and pretty much anything else you can think of. It's set back from the main road by a block which acts is a good buffer for noise. I wasn't disturbed at all by road noise or airplanes on my trip in April. They have decent landscaping and have surrounded the parking lot with pine trees providing shade for vehicles.

Unfortunately, this is the only Marriott property currently located within this area which is kind of a bummer because it would be cool if they had a property directly on the water, but it's still quite nice and overall, worthy of my recommendation.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank weirdave

Good Day...

My name is Alex Freid and I am the General Manager for Courtyard by Marriott Daytona Beach Speedway/Airport. Thank you for your recent stay with us as well as taking the time out of your busy day to give such a great detailed review.

I wanted to first apologize for the unfortunate incident that occurred your room bathroom. While we strive to provide perfect experiences for our guests, sometimes events happen that are outside of our control. However, I am happy to hear that our fantastic staff took quick action and made sure they addressed the issue to your satisfaction.

Again, thank you for your great review. Please visit us again the next time you are in Daytona Beach. We look forward to serving you in the future!