“All I can say is "Customer Service"”

El Caribe Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #33 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Lutz, Florida
“All I can say is "Customer Service"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We just returned from a couple of days on the beach. We have stayed at many upscale properties in Daytona and while this hotel is not upscale they make it up with treating you the way you should be treated. The hotel itself is an older beach hotel as expected. They have done their best to keep it maintained. We had a king efficiency with 2 roll away beds for the kids. The furnishings were a bit dated as was the kitchenette, however for its age the place was very clean. The king bed slept well. There was a small table to eat with 2 chairs and a fridge, oven/ stove as well as microwave. A good supply of pots, pans and utensils was available as well. The bathtub / toilet was small (very small) with a sink / vanity area, as expected for the age of the hotel. Once again everything worked and the place was clean. The view from our 4th flr balcony was great. Typical Florida beachview. The 2 pools were cleaned daily and there was a nice variety of picnic, sundecks and grassy sitting areas to enjoy the nice weather. They also have 2 barbeques to use. The thing I like the most was this place had the feel of a mom and pop motel. The staff were all very warm and sincere and would do whatever to make you feel valued. Breakfast was a continental style so do not expect eggs benedict or the like. Bagel, danish, coffee, cereal etc... A must visit if you have a quiet family type trip in mind. I must say The El Caribe has catapulted to the top of were I would like to stay when visiting Daytona. Hope you visit is as well as ours

Room Tip: North tower was quiet and closer to the check in office. Parking can be a little tight, but they h...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
NEW YORK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Louise you are overreacting! Its a older motel but not as bad as you are putting it. If you go online and book the cheapest room listed do you really expect to get the presidential suit? I have stayed at the Elcaribe over and over, its not the best but its worth the price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JEAN005
Lansing MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

If you're a fan of older properties (and I am) then you will love the El Caribe. I have no idea how old it is.. but I love quirky elevators. They have at least two and maybe more. It's right on the beach and we had a nice view of the ocean. We had a couple of great sunrises and I was treated to some porpoises (dolphins?) out feeding just off the shore.

We were about 2.5 miles from the center of Daytona Beach. We thought that might be a detriment but in the end, we were glad to be away from the noise and congestion.

We had a one bedroom 'suite' with a MONSTER sized bedroom and an equally large main living area. Our kitchenette was adequate (no decent knife, I'm glad I brought one) and a private balcony that over looked the beach and two swimming pools.

Everything was clean and tidy... the beds comfy and the whole place was very livable. The doors have swelled some over time and can be a challenge to close, especially if you're trying not to wake kids early in the a.m.

They provide a continental breakfast, but I don't go for that sort of thing. I had a juice one morning and that was fine by me.

I'm not one for swimming so I didn't check either of the pools out. We did have a lunch at one of the covered tables out back. There are two shuffleboard lanes and a hoops court in a parking lot. All in all a nice layout.

With a Winn Dixie right across the street the location was nice too. A mini golf place too.

We could not have been more pleased with the the facility. The elevators might have moved a bit faster but this is NOT a new building. I prefer the older places anyway. Did I mention the size of their one bedroom rooms? You don't get that in a newer property.

I'd go back cheerfully... maybe next spring break.

Room Tip: in the south wing, rooms on 6 and 7, facing the beach, have private balconies. If you have a room...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I agree with some of the other reviews that it's a little dated. Pulling up to the building I cringed a bit and expected the worst. But we were pleasantly suprised!

There are 2 pools, clean and great for the kids. There's shuffleboard and basketball. The grounds are clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were fine. We had a balcony to the ocean with a beautiful sunrise.

I really loved the fact that we were off the main drag, about 2 miles south of the Boardwalk. So we didn't get the spring break crowds or rowdiness. There's mini golf across the street, a few steps to the beach - really, I couldn't complain at all. Would stay here again and recommend!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My friend and I booked a room for March 22 2012 over a month before. I called several days before arriving and asked for confirmation of a nice room with an ocean view and a kitchenette. Upon our arrival, we watched a "regular" get a room and we were then assigned a room...When we started the disgusting walk to the room, we noticed the elevator was filthy and slow, and this was just the start of it. We walked in the room, and were greeted with a distinct mould smell. We noticed the fridge was filthy, and I think the bedspreads were purchased in 1950 and never replaced! We proceeded to the balcony and the 2 provided chairs were completely rusted, and as an added bonus, the balcony overlooked 4 loud air conditioning units! The bathroom was complete with a shelf with paint peeling and wood exposed and I wouldn't bathe my pet in the bath. We went to the office and although the staff was polite we were told no other units were available. So we know now that if you're not a regular you then get what we called the dungeon rooms! We went back to our room to call the site where we booked this room and our phone didn't work, no dial tome!!! I could see, that the part of the hotel with the air balloons on the wall should be demolished and we never got a chance to "see" any other part of the hotel, where I could understand where the "positive" comments come from. We went back to the front desk and asked to use their phone where we finally got great service from the booking site and got some great customer service. As I walked away, I heard a faint, ....we apologize....Really??? not even a reason for the apology! and I know the manager was not sitting far away, and never came to talk to us. So make sure that if you absolutely have to stay there you don't get the filthy part of the so called resort, with the air balloons and book with a trusted site not directly with the hotel so you can get some help and great customer service.

Room Tip: Book through a trusted site, not directly with the hotel and don't stay in the section with the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the El Caribe during the 2012 Daytona 500 weekend (Feb 24 - Feb 28). We rented a car so we parked in the ample parking lot right outside of the hotel. Both check-in and check-out were very simple and the staff was courteous. We were given key cards to our room which was located on the 1st floor, right on the ocean. Our room was located in the corner of the hotel, so it seemed a bit scary walking to our room at night as you could not see around the bend. As you walk into the room you could see that the kitchen area was outdated (especially the stove), but who goes on vacation expecting to cook in their hotel room? The kitchen however did serve its purpose. We bought snacks and beverages from the Winn Dixie across the street and were able to store them in the fridge. The kitchen had a toaster, which we did use, to toast our free bagels from breakfast, a microwave and coffee machine (if you wanted to make coffee you needed to bring your own because they don't provide it). It also had pots, pans, dishes and utensils. The shower was powerful and the water was nice and hot. There are plenty of towels but very few toiletries that the hotel provides. Our soap and shampoo didn't get replaced at all even though it was clearly visible that we had used the majority of it. It was a good thing I had my own with me. There is a safe in the room for valuables, which we used on a daily basis, just to be on the safe side. The room was clean. I must admit I did strip down the bed to look for any bedbugs and I was extremely happy to see that I didn't find any red spots on the sheets or bugs in the bed. Our room had a door that led to the outside area where there were two pools and the ocean in front of us...although we didn't get to use them due to the inclement weather, the view was still beautiful. A complimentary breakfast is served every morning. The same items were offered daily which included coffee, tea, juice, cereal, individually wrapped plain bagels, cream cheese, jelly, donuts, yogurt and bananas. Overall, the hotel needs some updates, but it served its purpose.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ruby0101
Langley City, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

The hotel is very dated and a little run down. The other hotels in the area are also run down with little around it. While the hotel was clean and the staff friendly, there are better places/locations in Daytona Beach. Overall the area has been hit hard by the economic downturn and this hotel and the area it is in reflects that. I also found the rooms to be very musty and it affected by breathing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business