Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A+”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I was very skeptical after reading some bad reviews on here. My boyfriend and I planned a last minute trip to Daytona and for Easter week there were obviously slim pickings. Well I definitely am thankful that I picked DBR!
I had originally chosen a riverview room which wasn't horrible but it was very small and just wasn't what I wanted. So I called the front desk and asked how much it would be for an upgrade. Well It was extremely reasonable so I figured why not? Let me tell you that it was so worth it. We had the oceanfront king suite and we were blown away. Awesome view, clean, huge, the whole ten.
We went to the publix across the street and got food to cook for breakfast and lunch so we could save money. That worked out really well also. We spent almost every day down at the beach or the pool! Just keep in mind that this hotel is not in walking distance to very many bars or restaurants, we had to cab it alot of places.
I also highly recommend the restaurant caffeine in Ormond beach, wing house, Mai tai's and the ocean deck!
All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel!!
P.S. Chelsea at the front desk rocks!!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Jonesboro, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

The staff at this hotel is absoulutely phenomenal! I had two oceanfront suites in the south end of the resort. If anyone needed anyhing, such as towels, the staff had it sent within a couple minutes. I have never had such great service. I stayed at the resort during Easter weekend and the resort had several activities such as a free ice cream social and a dinner show with magic and comedy(magicians were great and so was the atmosphere . The food, not so much). I would have loved to stay longer. The hotel has very clean. There were a couple signs that the hotel may have been showing its age a little but nothing that was totally offputting. The staff was able to accomodate an early check an while we waited for our room they allowed us access to all of the facilities. Keys were required for entry into a lot of areas of the hotel wich didn't allow anyone not having one to enter off the beach or entrances through the garage which made my group feel really safe. I had a really nice housekeeper and Michael at the front desk was an exemplary employee. I have never stayed at a hotel that was so close to the ocean,They aren't exaggerating when they say ocean front. I put many hours into planning for trips with the groups that I travel with and I am always a little nevervous about resorts I am not familiar with. This resort was a great value and my family and friends had a great time. I thought it was a little funny when we were checking out there was an employees on a radio reading a long list of people deciding to stay longer. I wish we could have too.

Room Tip: The south end oceanfront suites seem to be the best location.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mai S
Orlando
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Pros:
*We checked in on a Monday and were able to gain early access to our room at 1:30p.
*The beach was beautiful and access to it was very easy. (Although no fault of this hotel, it should be mentioned that each day we were there, we were solicited, often by multiple harrassing time share salespeople.)
Cons:
*The room we stayed in was 1403. Upon arrival we were terribly disappointed to see the roadway directly in front of us rather than the website advertised "eternal views of the beautiful blue ocean and the Inter Coastal Water Way from our top floor sanctuary." This is a highly deceptive statement to advertise. While standing on the balcony and looking to the left you can see the beach and ocean (and the top of the building) but in no way is this what we envisioned.

*The balcony did not have, nor could accommodate if they were provided, chairs or an end table. Not what you would expect in a "resort." The room was also an adjoining room and we could hear, quite clearly, noise from the other room, as well as others around us.

*The shower pressure in the room was exceptionally weak. I am not sure if it was because the hotel is going for a "green" standard or not but this was terribly unpleasant.

*The television is very small for the room, estimated 23" - we could not see it well from our beds.

*The indoor pool chemicals were very strong and made use of the pool unbearable. The hot tub was exceptionally hot, almost scalding. Could not use either for longer than a few minutes.

*On Wednesday I called the front desk at 7:30am to request the late checkout of 4pm, for a fee which I was aware of was $25. I was on hold for 10 minutes and then was told we could not have this option. When I asked for a checkout of anything later than 11am I was denied that as well. When I asked if there was anything she could offer me the woman said sighed and said in a tone which captured her annoyance with the situation "no - the room has already been reserved we need to clean it." When I asked if she could move the people who have our specific room reserved elsewhere she said flatly "no." I find it hard to believe there was nowhere, on a Wednesday, they could move a reservation to. My impression was that she simply couldn't be bothered. This was not the level of customer service I was anticipating.

*So, my family and I, although frustrated, decided to make the best of the situation, since this was our vacation and wanted it to be as stress free as possible. At 8:30am we headed down to the outdoor pool area and to our utter shock found that the majority of the lounge chairs were covered with towels, yet only a dozen or so people were actually AT the pool!! People had left their towels and gone about their business, with total disregard for the people who were there to USE the pool! There was no one there to complain too, not that they would do anything anyway, as we saw signs posted on the doors saying NOT to do this. I did finally find one empty lounge chair which the three of us had to share. UNACCEPTABLE.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jessw222
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I selected Daytona Beach Resort online and went by reviews posted here, and was not disappointed! Check in was fast and friendly - I asked if an upgrade was available and my husband and I found ourselves in an Oceanview Jr Suite - perfect location as it was convenient to the parking garage and the view of the beach was spectacular!
We are early risers (6AM) and I was very dismayed to see that many chairs around the pool were being saved by towels between the hours of 6AM - 8AM ...... however I was then pleasantly surprised to see hotel employees removing the towels after 1 hour. The "No reserving chairs at the Pool" policy is enforced at DBR! It is prominately posted and the policy is politely explained to guests when they come down to the pool at 10AM, 11AM and even later.---- This gets a thumbs up from me and my husband!
Our room was immaculate - the bed was comfortable - in fact the only issue we experienced was what sounded like 10 kids running, yelling and slamming doors in the hallway outside our room. We called the Main Desk and this was handled very quickly.
The pool was clean - there are 2 -1 smoking, and 1 non smoking. The Bar between the pools is a fun place to hang out.....all in all this was a great vacation and we will definately return.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Cohutta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Very nice place. Great value for the money. Owner rented units have a better price. Lots of on site amenities. The beach is great here. Good location for area activities. Will go back for sure. might even buy a unit!! Good place for bikers, they have parking for a trailer.

Room Tip: Part of the property is newer so find out which part you will be in. Some rooms face ocean, some do...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevin070478
Ocala, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The lobby was nice. Check in staff friendly and helpful... explained that my room could be accessed from the 4th floor of parking garage so I didn't have to come all the way back down. This was a plus! However, the set up of the room was strange. It was oceanfront suite. You walk in the back of the room from the hall to enter a bedroom. There is an ensuite bath in there. Ok, but sparse and plain. You see a hallway and go down and round a corner and down a long hallway and then you are in the kitchen. Then in front of that is another sitting room with a sofa that folds out into a small bed. (This sofa bed was broken and lopsided and wouldn't even push up against the wall evenly... a mess). The bathrooms were not very clean. A huge dead cockroach was in the hallway (i understand florida bugs, but obviously no one checked the room recently). Then the kitchen, wow, the cabinet doors were moldy. Then someone decided to PAINT OVER THE MOLD. Really? That is crazy, but I did get a photo of that and will try to get it off my camera to post it because that was unbelievable. There were a few hairs on one of the bedspreads so I opted to use the other bed only. It was a big room and had a nice view of ocean, but my sliding door opened up to a shared balcony... anyone could walk right up to my sliding door. This didn't seem safe and was actually creepy when at night you see someone walk right by and hang out for a few minutes looking over the balcony then they keep going. Kids did this alot... playing around the hotel, exploring.

My room did NOT look like the photos of the nicer rooms others have posted. So I guess I should have complained, but I arrived later in the day and only stayed one night. If you stay there, ask for a nicer room if you get the one I had.

Room Tip: check the room out before you accept it... you might want to move if it isn't nice. It seems lik...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ocalafergie
Middleville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Check in was so fast. Elevators were always available. Our room with balcony looked right over the Atlantic and 2 pools, which were a bit cool. Beds were very comfortable with great linens, kitchen fully supplied, 2 burner stove, although no oven, good shower water pressure and bathroom amenities. Our only complaint was that guests put towels on the pool lounges at 7:30am, and the lounges sat empty almost all day long. Luckily we had our own beach chairs and sat on the beach watching the parade of cars/trucks driving by and watching the ocean tides come and go. If you didn't have your own beach chairs, you could rent 2 lounges with an umbrella and table.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bkbatson
Mike K, General Manager at Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We are now implementing plan to eliminate the early morning "reserving" of the pool lounge chairs. Thank you for your patronage and we hope to see you again in the near future!