“There are many better choices”

Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Palm Harbor
“There are many better choices”
Reviewed 16 July 2008

I don't know why they call this a resort. It's not a resort, it's a HOTEL. There are no spa services,no concierge, no massages or body treatments, no basketball, no putting green, no tennis court, no nightly entertainment. Really, it's just a hotel with a pool. I guess they call it a 'resort' so that they can be justified in charging a 'resort' fee which is BOGUS. Music is loudly played at poolside at 9:00 a.m. sharp at poolside. It was too bad that I'm a late sleeper and didn't appreciate getting woken up so early being that my room faced the pool. For the price we paid for the 'resort', I would've thought that the beach lounges and umbrellas would have been included, not an extra charge. The location was off the beaten track so you definitely need a car. I didn't feel that the lobby was anything to write home about - very cold and barren. I think there are so many other better choices. Next time, I won't be staying here, more likely I'll stay at the Hilton or the Plaza which are better locations and are true'resorts'

• Liked — on the beach
  • Disliked — Not a 'resort'. Too far from everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Stayed here with my wife and son and some friends. Great place and very family friendly. I was a little apprehensive bringing my toddler to what I thought was a party town and a beach that you can drive on but everybody and everything at the hotel was about the family. Turns out there was very little traffic on the beach. We ended the trip on the beach but came back up to the hotel's kiddie pool and had drinks while my son played in the water.

Super helpful people in the restaurant gave us a lot of info about the area - even other dining options when i asked about something they weren't carrying at the time. There's a shopping center right across the street too. Very neat looking out at the ocean at night on the balcony. By the way, the room was really beautiful and very well appointed. We'll be back

• Liked — room, balcony, big pool area, and easy beach access
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Patrick G
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 12 July 2008

After spending hours debating the pros and cons of the top 20 Daytona Beach hotels here, we finally settled on the Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center for 3 primary reasons: oceanfront room with large, furnished balcony; kitchen with microwave, stove, coffeemaker and full-size fridge; and a roomy separate bedroom with 2 queen beds (pullout couch in family room). It's their "one-bedroom oceanfront condo."

Let me start by saying that it is SO worth it to have a room with a kitchen (every room has one here), especially in our case with 6 people. I spent $203 at Publix when we arrived, and we ate all of our meals (9 total) in the room. I don't even want to start doing the math on what it would have cost for all 6 of us to eat those 9 meals out.

The room was updated and clean, the service was great, the location was perfect, the pools, pool furniture and pool area were very well maintained, the elevators were fast, and the common areas were immaculate. It's obvious that this hotel is working real hard to renew its image along with its $34 million transformation.

There's a Publix across the street, in a shopping plaza that also has a Bealls, a dollar store and a dozen or so smaller shops. There's a Walgreens and a beachy souvenir-type store across the street, as well. Publix and Walgreens have everything you need for the beach and pool--from coolers to floats to fishing poles to chairs and sunscreen. The "action" by the Pier/Ocean Walk was a 5-minute drive north.

A big plus is the covered parking garage manned by a security guard. In addition to keeping our car safe and out of the sun, the garage also gave easy access to our room. We parked on the third level and walked to our third-floor room through an interior access door from the garage.

Both times I called the front desk for service (once for extra pillows and once for a faucet issue), there was someone at our door within minutes--and the pillows were even toasty warm! All of the employees we came in contact with were friendly and helpful.

We didn't eat at the restaurant, use the fitness or business center or frequent the poolside tiki bar, but all were open and being enjoyed by other guests. There also was a laundry room on our floor; possibly on every floor.

The beach was just steps out the gate of the pool area; a company that rents beach umbrella/lounge chair combos sets up out front each morning. I had dreaded the "cars on the beach" thing, but it really wasn't bad at all; it may be worse during busier times of the year. There's a lifeguard on duty directly to the left of the hotel.

Although the hotel website had the 1-bedroom oceanfront condo listed for $239/night, we got it through Expedia for $171.75/night + we found an Expedia coupon code that subtracted $10/night + we got a free $50 gas card by using our MasterCard to reserve the room. We ended up paying a total of $177.40/night when adding taxes and the $12/day resort fee back in. Not bad for a great hotel and a great room with a great view!

A comment on the resort fee: I read a handful of reviews by people who were not happy with the $12/day fee and gave the hotel a lower rating because of it. The hotel says the fee covers the covered parking garage, a daily USA Today newspaper at your door, 2 bottles of water a day, local calls, wireless internet access and access to the fitness center and resort amenities. We appreciated most of those things but think the hotel would be better off building the fee into their room rates and saying those things are "free" rather than charging a daily fee. That way, guests who don't use any of those things won't feel like they're being forced to pay for something they don't want.

If I had to provide any constructive feedback at all, it would be that there's not a lot to do aside from the beach and pools--and no entertainment is within walking distance. It seems a resort of this size would offer a game room, a putting green, shuffleboard, basketball, a mini-movie theather, a common area with TVs or something as entertainment in addition to the pools and hot tubs. We had a car, so we ended up going to Congo River to play mini golf one night and walking around the Ocean Walk entertainment complex another night.

We had a great trip overall, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or stay at the Daytona Beach Resort and Conference center again in the future. If you stayed here in the past and had a not-so-great experience, it's definitely worth another try!

• Liked — Large room with kitchen & furnished oceanfront balcony
  • Disliked — Not much to do other than pools and beach
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank LakerB
Bristow, Oklahoma
Reviewed 12 July 2008

I came to this resort as part of a business trip. What a nice place! My colleague had an oceanfront room on the third floor and enjoyed the view and her balcony every day. My room was a very large room on the ninth floor - I had a tiny ocean view and tiny balcony, but a wall of windows facing the city! I also had a small living room area and a huge bathroom plus a fully stocked kitchen. The bed was wonderful!! I slept very well the whole time I was there except on the Saturday night I was there - there was a lot of street noise, and I had to put in earplugs. After that, I slept well.

The lobby at the hotel is beautiful and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The pools are beautiful (the indoor pool is quite large for an indoor pool) and we enjoyed the live music at the pool on the weekend plus the fire pit at night. We did have trouble finding many places to eat around there - there is a Denny's, Ruby Tuesday's, Olive Garden and Red Lobster, but my colleague didn't like seafood and I am not wild about pasta, so there wasn't much left! We did eat in the hotel restaurant and had a great meal and our waiter was wonderful! I wouldn't take my small children there, but if you were with some older children or adults, it's a very nice place to eat.

All in all, I had a fabulous time at this resort and enjoyed being right on the beach. We were about two miles away from the Boardwalk and pier, but considering all the noise down there, I didn't consider it a bad thing. I enjoyed my stay and intend to bring my family down there one of these days. My kids will love it!

• Liked — Being right on the ocean, fabulous room, great service, nice pool
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 16 June 2008

Looking for a quick getaway for the weekend....called the hotel day before and beat all the advertised rates online! Oceanfront studio/king...perfect. The staff were always attentive. The room clean and full kitchen.....what a nice suprise! Covered parking with 24 hour security....nice touch. Several nearby places to eat....but try "Reflections" in the hotel.....awesome! We loved the pool cabana bar and live music.....the hotel is away from the crowds....great for families or couples..... We will return!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GirlsfromJAX
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Very pleasant hotel with clean rooms and an excellent view of the ocean. We had a 3 year old with us and we were able to keep him occupied with lots of nearby attractions. Parking on the same floor as your room is a bonus but parking is at a premium when the hotel is busy.

The kitchenette in our room was very nice and the fact that a major shopping center is across the road means you don't have to eat out at every meal.

The gym was very small, but had enough equipment for a decent workout. Strangely enough, staff turned the other cheek when I mentioned that I had been forced to witness an old man in a Speedo (no T-shirt or shoes) on an ellipse machine ahead of me. (and yet we got a phone call from the front desk when we hung a towel to dry on our balcony) We did find that the hotel has a lot of rules to maintain a perception of propriety. Some rules are posted (no coolers on pool deck) why others are not. Towards the end of our stay, we actually started to have fun seeing how many we could ignore. (withour being a pain to other guests of course)

Cleaning staff were very friendly and worked around our schedule.

All 3 pools were nice, large and clean, but if you need to get to the ocean, you have to have a pass key with you to get back in. (a major pain if you are alone and if you want to swim without losing your key card)

Our family did not find the front desk staff very helpful when seeking tourist info about attractions such as Disney (or even stuff close by), but for the rest they were friendly and helpful.

On the ocean side, watch which room you get. A loud music system comes on precisely at 8 am and shuts off at 10 pm. (on a timer) As a result, we could not keep our balcony door open to enjoy the ocean sounds while our child slept. We raised this with the front desk on our last day and they replied that the owner had specifically requested the music be turned up. (I found it odd that my concerns were simply brushed aside, as a customer, in favour of an owner's wishes) If you stay above the third floor, you will be happy. (unless you want the lud music)

We never ate in the restaurant...but the menu looks OK. (it's more suited for a business meeting than a vacation dinner with a child)

Forget using the 'business center' to keep up with your e-mail. Internet access is very pricey.

I recommend this hotel to any family.....

• Liked — Location at beach in quiet part of Daytona
  • Disliked — 'Hotel Policy' is more important to staff than having happy vacationers.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family