“Decent stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Decent stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

After a warm reception from the front desk we checked into our room and discovered ants all over the kitchen area floor. We called the front desk and maintance showed up 5 mins later with a spray can and sprayed the whole area. There were no more ants after that. The bad thing about this hotel was that there is no resturant - they only serve breakfast and appitizers at dinner time. The good thing was that there was a Publix across the street where we were able to buy groceries. Also, a liquor store and Ruby Tuesday's down the street. We bought some extra items, but Publix accepts all returns as long as they're not opened. Since we went during the week we pretty much had the hotel to ourselves. We're able to sign out beach towels, but had to return them promptly by 11pm. However during the day there was no readily availiable front desk staff - stood there for 20 mins waiting to sign out a towel. Pools were nice and you got to look at the ocean while laying by the pool. Sun is behind the building by 3pm. Location was good as it was further down the beach from all of the touristy locations. We basically lounged around the pool/room for the 3 days that we stayed and all and all it was a good trip and a decent stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Orlando
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 4-nights in October. I wish I had found this website prior to making any arrangements to stay there. BEWARE of the pictures on their website. They are completely "doctored". If you look at the picture of the hotel from the "air", they have "whited out" all of the huge air conditioning units on top of the roof, which when you look out your window, that's all you see. Yes the water is off in the distance, but the roof on the southeast side of the building, and the parking lot roof on the northwest side of the buidling ruin the entire effect. The restaurant is NOT OPEN. Nor is there room service. They have one or two flaky bartenders. You are lucky to get your $8.50 drink or glass of wine in less than 1/2-hour. The spa is rediculously overpriced, $60.00 for a very basic pedicure, with 20% gratuity added on. Give me a break! The spa staff, is one person. If you want more than one service they have to call some one in. The rooms are dated and dirty.
They have no chairs on the beach, (you can rent a chair for $25.00 per day from a local), and in order to get a towel you have to go into the lobby, sign your life away, and return it by the end of the day. Why they don't have towel service out by the pool is beyond me. You must be clear if you want a room with a balcony that you can actually sit on. Alot of the rooms (ours) had a walk out balcony only. I specifically asked for a room with a balcony, told reservations that I wanted to be able to "sit out on the balcony, and just watch the water". What I got was a 1-/2 foot piece of concrete, that overlooked a row of about 30-air conditioners. The service compeltely sucks, from the front desk, to the housekeeping, to the bar (the picture of the "tiki" bar on line doesn't even look like the same place). In reality is is a shabby concrete dirty structure with some palm leaves on top of it. I am not kidding, I have NEVER stayed at a place with such poor service. If you order food from the bar, the bartender disappears for about 1/2 hour, then returns with something very similar to airline food. Also, the gym shown on line does not look anything like the real thing. I don't know how these people get a way with this false advertising. I really can't say one good thing about this place. Stay with the Hiltons and the Crowne Plaza's, you get what you pay for, and if you can't afford that, stay in a tent on the beach, I'm that serious. P.S.,, the wi-fi in the rooms does not work, and neither did the dish network t.v., very fuzzy, and not many chanels.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank dutchtreatOrlando
Bronx, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

From the moment we entered the hotel everyone was genuinely friendly, and helpful. Our one bedroom suite was clean and very nicely decorated. Our 2 sink bathroom was huge! The pools, spa, laundry room, and sauna were all clean and working. I think we used every amenity they had available, and each one met our expectations. We did our research before booking. We knew that it was a green hotel, so we were not expecting fresh towels each day. We knew that there was a resort fee, and that there was $140 hold on my credit card acct when I checked in. So when you research there are no surprises. I was skeptical about eating or cooking out cookware that was supplied by the hotel, even that was great! We ordered food poolside, and purchased products from the spa, and was able to charge it to the room. I didn't have to carry cash or credit cards around the resort. Across the street is Publix, Walgreens, Payless, Dollar tree, licquor store,every thing you need wiithin walking distance. Our stay was PERFECT. We will be back again next year!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

There are 7 different types of balconies at this resort.
I will use 10 feet wide as a standard width -- some rooms are larger and can be up to 13 ft wide, but for sake of offer a standard measure -- going with 10 ft.

Oceanfront -- Private 10x13 balcony
Oceanfront -- on Pool Deck -- more of a lanai than a balcony really -- but still an option
Oceanfront -- Private 10 x 2.5 ft
Oceanfront Private 10 x 3 ft
Oceanview -- private 10 x 1 ft -- standing room only
Walkway -- no balcony at all -- public thoroughfare
Walk way -- was sectioned off during construction -- no longer a thoroughfare.

Understand what is availalbe so you can make an informed decision for your vacation.
I have illustrated all of these in the following article::
(--)

Feel free to ask any questions.

Renata Gozdziak - owner and frequent DRB vacationer....

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bluzin1
Central Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2009

First the positive: For Daytona, it is nice. It was gutted and redone recently, and the tower rooms look new. Some of the non-tower rooms are very spacious, and you can get a good view of the beach in them. There are many pools/hot tubs to choose from, so it doesn't get too crowded. It is on the northern part of Daytona Beach, walking distance to Ormand Beach so it is a lot quieter than the boardwalk area. It would be a nice place to hold an event, due to the size of the hotel, but I would be afraid to do that due to the poor service.

Now the negative: The lobby still looks 1970s with the mirrors, the foam tile ceilings, the old doors and windows, ugly flooring, and the gaudy metallic garbage cans, etc. The tower rooms have potential, but the green curtains, blah bedspreads, green carpet and 1980s furniture is bad. The non-tower part of the hotel does not look gutted to me. The doors and windows still look very commercial and 1960s to me. Those rooms are also a bit more run down, and are not as nicely done as the tower rooms. The beds are lumpy. We saw some suspicious stains on the carpet and furniture too (yuck!) There is also quite a bit of outside noise, especially when facing the street. I read somewhere that one of the pools was supposed to be heated, but they felt pretty cold to me... even the kids pool was freezing. I am not crazy about cars driving on the beach. You get lots of young people out cruising, which can lead to mischief and it is also quite dangerous for the beach goers who aren't aware of it, and the little ones. Everything in this hotel is way overpriced except for the rooms. I wanted a pedicure and they had to call a local employee to come in. The staff is not normally there...they are on call. She finally arrived but forgot some of her equipment, so she had no scissors. She had to file my toenails down instead of cutting! No cutical clipper either. The food is OK depending what you order. The hamburgers are not good. The guests come from all walks of life, which leads to problems, like missing pool towels. Now you have to wait for the busy front desk staff to give you towels and sign them in and out. Can't they do this outside so we don't have to walk around the lobby all wet? The front desk has always been a mess. It takes forever to check in. We got an email in writing the last time we rented with family. It stated that we had specific rooms and that they were adjoining. When we got there, after a long drive, we had to wait an hour for them to straighten out a mess. They had rented the rooms to someone else. We eventually got bigger rooms, but we wanted our own room, not someone elses. No one apologized and my husband was visibly upset. Instead of trying to calm him down by saying "we are so sorry we messed up. I see you have it in writing that you reserved specific rooms, including your own. I know you have driven a long way and would like to get settled immediately, so let me get you another adjoining room as quickly as possible. I will get you the nicest room we have, etc..." you get my point. Instead, we got incompetent front desk staff who were rude and wanted us to pay double what we were supposed to pay, so they could fix the problem. One of them told her boss that my husband yelled at her, and I didn't hear any yelling. The boss came out and YELLED at my husband and myself. Extremely unprofessional. This is no Marriott, let me tell you. The service is horrible. Even the little convenience store they have doesn't carry toiletries and closes around dinner time. I always find expired items for sale, including milk. I don't even know why they have that store. Vending machines would be better. Luckily, there is a Publix and Walgreens across the street.

The best thing that could happen to this place is for a huge hotel chain to buy them out so they can be a real hotel and not a condo with staff that has no clue about hospitality.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jmarroq
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2009

We stayed three nights. The hotel bills you for the first night upon making the reservation. There is also a $100 deposit refundable deposit. I was not aware of this until checking in although in all fairness it was noted on the reservation confirmation.

Upon arriving at the hotel I discovered it was a condominium hotel; that was the first condo hotel experience for me; would not do that again.

Our room was the standard hotel room. I was looking forward to having a balcony. However, the balcony was only about two feet deep at most. I wanted a balcony with chairs so we upgraded to an ocean front room with full balcony.

The $100 deposit fee, which I never encountered before, put me on the defensive. So I called the front desk from each room and noted every scratch and stain I observed. But then a bigger problem was noted in the upgraded room. The kitchen was crawling with ants. I complained to the front desk. The clerk said "Well, this is Florida" but offered to change rooms. We declined but requested that maintenance spray. The maintenance man said he could take care of the kitchen but that wasn't the source of the problem. They ostensibly were coming from the outside via the living room carpet. With that we again changed rooms.

Our latest suite was nice (as was the previous suite except for the ants). But again, being on guard, I made a list of nine scrathes, scrapes and stains and delivered it to the front desk so I wouldn't be accused of damaging property. Had never done this before. A second shift front office clerk didn't seem pleased when I asked her to make a copy and initial receipt. I was somewhat paranoid at this point.

Our first night's stay was interrupted by noisy neighbors at 1:00 AM in the connecting room next door.

Re having a balcony, if you want to sit there, request a full-size balcony, not what they refer to as a step-out balcony.

Forget about eating at the hotel. Don't be deceived by the fine dining internet photo with burgundy table clothes and wine glasses. They closed the full service restaurant in October 2008. It only offers the poolside cabana menu. Stepping in early one evening, the place was empty and the decor barren. There is a carry-out place where you can purchase pre-packaged food items to take to your room or poolside. Fortunately, you can get a hearty breakfast at Denny's across the street. Also, there a couple of good local restaurants just north of the hotel. One on the east side of the street is Barnacles. On the other side and a bit farther north is The Charlie Horse.

When it came time to check out, I called the front desk to have someone inspect the room before departing. A housekeeper stopped by and made a perfunctory inspection, throwing some bathroom towels on the floor in the process. I thought that was the inspection. Apparently not. As I was ready to leave a housekeeping supervisor arrived to inspect the room. She waited for me to leave. I said I want to remain for the inspection. She retorted that I might do something after she left. I said I will leave with you. She gave the place a thorough going over looking in and at everything. She even turned on each of the TVs stating that some people pour water into the back of the TV. (You've got to be kidding!) She then phoned the front desk and gave the all clear. We left the room together.

The hotel staff was extremely friendly except for housekeeping and one desk clerk.

In conclusion, I would not here again as there was too much hassle.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ChicagoKen60657
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2009

After my extended stay at DBR over 35 nights this past summer, I must give this hotel a "THUMBS UP"! ~ ~ I have traveled around Florida I have returned back to DBR where I was comfortable to know I was getting a great place to enjoy my vacation at a competitive price! In total I stayed in 3 different rooms and ALL OF THEM were Ocean front with a kitchen and living room area. They where clean (and I am a clean nut), well stocked, and beautiful! Housekeeping is the only department I had to be creative with - and it keep me thinking of how I could make it easier to get "my needs met" with less pressure on them (I don't like to be bothered often :)! ~ The Front Desk and Management worked with my crazy schedule beautifully, Security made me feel safe the entire stay, the restaurant/bar/store staff where all "too kind" and made me feel at home, too. (Revive, The Reef & Reflections). The Spa; The Terra Aqua Spa and I go to "know" one another very well - it's a fun and relaxing place to go. They also offer ofther items such as jewlry, purses, candles, and sunglasses to mention a few items. Very unique!
Have fun, I have!