“Not bad but had a few problems ...”

Emerald Shores Hotel
Ranked #47 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Not bad but had a few problems ...”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Rooms facing the ocean on the ground floor overlook the pool and spa which get crowded day and night and so you can't have your curtains open. The room needed a lick of paint. The fridge and microwave were not terribly clean and the linen was smelly. The room was large. They offer continental breakfast but it was just a coffee and pop tart/cookies. Staff were slightly unfriendly and uncommunicative. Hotel was right on the beach. Not much is around there .... we had to drive to get breakfast. Supermarket is nearby.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Philadelphia, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 August 2011

the hotel was very clean , the house keeping was fantastic , every staff member i met was eager to help anyway they could with a smile , stayed in a oceanfront efficency on the fourth floor with a full kitchen was like being at home with fantastic views from the private balcony where i spent a lot of my time . will definately return and will reccomend this hotel to friends and family .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 August 2011

When we arrived at the hotel we found out that our room was upgraded to an efficiency on the 9th floor (which was perfect because I asked for a high floor!). The room was spacious, spotless clean, and the view was incredible! The balconies are private so you don't have to worry about others bugging you. The continental breakfast definitely shouldn't be mentioned because it's only granola bars from Walmart, but there is a great place for breakfast on the pier. The internet seemed hit or miss, unless you were in the lobby, but I didn't really care because I wasn't on vacation to use the internet. If the hotel is busy their parking lot may fill up, but the front desk will give you a parking permit to park across the street.

My only problem with the hotel was the housekeeping girl during our second weekend at the hotel. On Friday she came knocking at 9:15 (while we were still in bed) and I asked for an extra hour. She said no problem so we got up, got ready for the beach, and were out within an hour. Saturday, again the knock came at 9:15 while we were in bed. I answered the door, asked for an hour, and the girl gave me an attitude while questioning me. So I asked for a half hour instead, which she said fine. 20 minutes later we got one knock, while she barged right in (luckily we were both dressed, but we still weren't ready). I asked for 10 more minutes and the girl rolls her eyes at me and walks out. When we came back, we saw that only the bed was made, but we still had a pile of towels from the previous day and no fresh towels. Sunday we put up the do not disturb sign on the door, but were still out of the room before 10am (which was when we took the do not disturb off the door). We returned at 11:30 am to put something back in the room and saw the housekeeping cart next door. After a day at the beach we came back and the room wasn't touched at all. I have no problem making the bed myself, but I do find it a bit much to have to walk down to the first floor to get towels when someone is getting paid to put them in my room. Monday (different housekeeper) went back to the great service from the pervious time we were there. That is the only reason that I didn't give the hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Emerald Shores is a clean and very affordable hotel right on the beach. Make sure you book an oceanfront room. They come with a balcony and face the ocean and the pool. The other rooms are not as nice and you face AIA and a parking lot. We made that mistake lastr year but still had a good time. The continental breakfast is just coffee and juice and some packaged pastries. Still, for under $100 per night I thought it was very good for the money.

ohio
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Ok I first want to say I am not picky at all! I just want the basics (clean, good location, friendly staff). The ONLY thing going for this hotel is good location. I always take pictures of the rooms I stay in an post them on here... I didnt even bother this time, was just ALL bad! The bathroom floor looked so dirty, I actually think it was just a bad grout job but it just makes it look so dirty. Their was hair in the bed (NOT ours)... Floor had a nasty sticky feeling to it ( an yes it's carpet - can carpet feel sticky? Yes it can obviously!!)
The staff would sit at the front desk an never look up to greet you... Only nice person was cheery lady at check in... The older man at check out was apparently to busy reading a newspaper to even care. I always read the reviews on here an try to decide should I stay at a certain place an wish people would just say yes or no.... Well I can say on this one NO! Do not stay here! I wouldn't stay here again if they told me I could have the room free for a week! I do NOT recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2011
EshGm, General Manager at Emerald Shores Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As the newest hotel on Daytona Beach it is valuable to receive feedback so that we may maintain our high standards of cleanliness and friendly customer service. This is very unusual that you had an experience that was not typical of the other valued guests who stay with us. After reviewing with the front desk and staff I do not have any record of any of the problems you mentioned above and none were called in to our guest request log book. I wish I had been able to speak with you during your stay.
My GM Welcome Letter posted in every room and at the front desk welcomes all our guests and encourages them to contact me during their stay should any concern they have arise. I am available to listen to your concerns and find a solution. Please contat me at the hotel ------ and I would be more than happy to listen to your concerns.

Best Regards
Lake Wales, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We just stayed at Emerald Shores for 4 nights and really enjoyed ourselves. The hotel was clean, the jacuzzi and pool were also very clean. As previous reviewers have said, the continental breakfast is a joke. Really shouldn't even be mentioned. There was coffee, with powdered creamer and sugar, orange juice and 3 types of packaged donuts. That was it. I bought cereal & milk at Publix and we had that for breakfast. We had a balcony room and the view was incredible. Beach access was easy, the steps were a bit steep but manageable. WiFi was very very slow, so we used our hot spot from our IPhone. There are no cots or rollaway beds, so keep that in mind of you are traveling with more people than bed room.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room so you can have a view of the beach.
1 Thank FLTravelor498
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Great family vacation staff was great great location just out of daytona so it was a quiet vacation with much to do a couple miles up the road. Beach right there .no to the comments continental breakfast was not fancy but most places give u nothing and FYI just up the rd there is a ny bakery and a little further up is there deli best homemade bagels at either for breakfast at a low price Bradley the gm was very available if needed and upon arrival made sure we got our desired room. If come back to daytona would def. Stay there

Room Tip: Ocean front higher up the better
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
EshGm, General Manager at Emerald Shores Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
So glad you had a great vacation! We are always striving to Meet and Exceed our guests' expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Daytona.