“waited 1 1/2 hours in the check in line and 18 hours to get a toilet fixed”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
saranac lake
“waited 1 1/2 hours in the check in line and 18 hours to get a toilet fixed”
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I checked in to the wydham on sat march 26 and had the worst customer service experience I have ever encountered. We arrived at 5PM well after the 4PM check in time and did not get into our room until past 6:30PM. We were wating in line for over 1 1/2 hours. There were only 2 desk clerks working and they each seemed to be having "problems" as each guest took them an inordinate amount of time to get checked in. The really upsetting part was: there were 3 people at the concierge desk doing nothing-no one came and explained why it was taking so long or what the hold up was, none of them were helping the desk clerks with check in, no one came and offered us a free drink or breakfast for taking so much time away from our vacation...nothing. They could not have cared less. And since every room was prepaid, no one could walk away and stay at another hotel and the manangement of this resort clearly knew that.

Additionally, the toilet clogged the first time we used it right after arriving in the room. We learned later that part of the check in issues were plumbing problems with rooms. Although we called the desk immediately and several times that evening and the next day, no one came to fix the toilet until sunday afternoon! We had to keep going down to the lobby to use the public bathroom there. I would have expected not to even be charged for this catastrophic first day, but the hotel already had our money and no one would care enough to even offer a refund. The attitude is...we're in Daytona and we'll get filled up no matter what so who cares?

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank heidiholderied

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Waycross, Georgia
Reviewed 14 April 2011

Moved rooms twice. No air once. Pipes banging in the second room that my kids couldn't sleep through and they can sleep through anything. Everytime you have an issue, they tell you "Technically, these are time shares, so we are not responsible for (whatever your issue is). The lazy river was green, not operable, and with dead insects floating in it. If your stay is only three days...they will not let you get fresh towels. To resolve my issues, the Front Desk referred me to manager, manager referred me to a management Company (Tina) and Tina has now referred me to Ann. Thirteen Days later and still no resolution to my issues.

The morning we left...no hot water for the entire south tower.

Room Tip: Dont even consider this dump
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank uklabs

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Oakfield, Georgia
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Great roms, very clean, great staff. My husband and I brought 7 children with us for spring break, ranging in ages from 10-16. The room was spacious enough for the whole group. Plenty for everyone to do. My husband and I really enjoyes our time with the kids and their friends but WILL be returning alone as soon as possible. We had no complaints. NOPE not even one. The lazy river was indeed down, but everything else was so great that it wasn't a big deal. We were more than pleased and impressed with the staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank clayanddaphnesuggs
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Nice place good location but the workers are very rude and did not help the whole trip also what got me was that only one car can park in there garage no matter if you have one,two,or three bedroom condo and they make you park across the street in another garage that does not belong to them it belongs to the city and they charge you $20 dollars a day to park there. You think they would have something worked out with the city but I guess just another way to get you!!!

Room Tip: Stay at another place.
1 Thank ShannonG45
Liverpool, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Ocean Walk is a great resport for families, singles and couples. There is plenty to do in the area and the location is great. There are some improvements to be made on the property and if you are a Wyndham owner, be prepared for the early morning call asking you to talk with some Wyndham reps about your "check in"..

First of all, the resort location is fantastic. You are very close to several pizza joints and local restaraunts. There are a couple bars near by as well as beach gift shops. We didn't make it to the Ocean Walk shoppes but they were busy each time we drove by. The local pizza joints do deliever but you have to pick your order up in the lobby which isn't a problem. Parking wasn't a problem for us until the last night of our stay when we had to park in the south tower versus the north as there wasn't room. The resort is right on the beach and within steps of the outdoor pools. We didn't make it to the "boarwalk" but there are rides if you are looking for something to do in the evening.

Now to the unplesantries. First of all, we are Wyndahm owners and expected that we wouldn't have housekeeping the week we were there. We got checked in late and were woken on our first morning by a chipper girl named Michelle saying that they wanted to come to our room to do a brief survey to see how check-in went and to bring a "gift basket" up. Knowing we would be asked to come to some presentation or other, I told her I wasn't interested but she insisted that it would "really help us out" and the questions couldn't be answered over the phone. She assured me the "visit" would only take 10 minutes. I called her back a couple hours later saying that we were on our way out if she wanted to send someone up before we left, we would see them. An hour and a half later, two Wyndham employees came up with a JOKE of a "gift basket". It had two bottles of water and four small bags of snack foods. I was very firm with them and told them I wasn't interested in going to any presentations, updates or anything else that would take time away from our family vacation. However, we agreed to answer their questions. They asked ONE question about check in and the rest of the 25 minutes was spent trying to convince us to come to a Member Welcome Lunch the following day and so forth. The gentleman also asked if we were aware that we could have had an ocean front room if we only had a few more points. Of course we knew this and pointed out that the room was all we needed for this trip. I had to tell the Wyndham folks several times that we weren't interested in ANYTHING and were just there to vacation, not to be bothered with meetings and the such. Needless to say, we didn't attend the lunch the following day.

The resort staff members were very nice, but slow. We called the "Fun Center" to have a high chair brought to our room and were told that the woman working was the only one there and couldn't leave so she would have someone from the front desk bring the chair or we had to come get it ourselves. Well, no one ever brought one and we had to get it ourselves later in the evening. To boot, we had to personally return the chair the night before our departure, instead of housekeeping taking care of it for us. Another night, we requested a second blanket for our room and were told it would be bright right up. Well, 45 minutes later, I called again and they said "it should be on it's way". After another 45 minutes, I went to the desk personally and asked for the blanket and was told that housekeeping had to get it off the floor "storeage" and they had none at the desk. Finally, they called housekeeping and I was advised the blanket had just been delieverd, and it was. On the upside, we also requested extra lanundry detergent and it was brought up very quickly!

The lazy river was not working and had been down for at least three weeks. This was the one thing my husband was looking forward to and one of the reasons he booked this resort. The water was green but no one worked on it the entire week we were there. Besides the green water, I'm not sure what needed work on the lazy river.

Other reviewers have mentioned needing wrist bands to get into the pools. We were not given wrist bands at check in and none of the security guards questioned us, ever. Maybe this is something more geared to families with older children and college "spring breakers" who might be more prone to hotel pool hopping, I don't know. We brought our own beach towels from home so we had no need to use the hotel towels when going to the pool or beach.

I have to say that the drink and food prices at the outdoor bar were reasonable and not overpriced as I expected. Beers started at $2 and food platters started at $3.50. We didn't go to the lobby bar or the "convenient store" inside the resort so I cannot comment on those prices.

Overall, it was a nice stay for our family of three. We don't have enough points for an ocean front room but our one bedroom was just enough for us. There were college spring breakers but they weren't too much of a problem. At one point, there was a loud group of girls walking the hall and I politely stuck my head out asking them to quiet down as we had a baby who was trying to sleep. The girls were nice enough and apologized. I imagine that the ocean front room would have been quieter.

On a side note (since I haven't seen it in any other posts), you can rent beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach from non-resort companies. We rented two chairs and an umbrella for $30 for the entire day (until 5PM, when the companies start packing up). The resort towers do begin to block the sun by about 2:30PM and it is difficult to find a place to sit if you get down to the pools in the afternoon.

Our daughter really enjoyed the kiddie pool area and other kids played with her. It was a nice change from the louder big kids in the other pools!

1 Thank Sydneycake
Hammond, Indiana
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Was not sure what to expect, but was a disappointed with the check in process and the room itself. Was told by property that this was not a hotel but rather a resort and was expected to do launder our own towels (on vacation). Was very disappointing that the facility was not kept up, the lazy river, was really a "green river" it was not on, but there was garbage galore in in. It was digusting.

Room Tip: Better rooms in the South Tower, 2 bedroom units
florida
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Our family decided to supervise my teenage daughters spring break trip. We rented what seemed like a nice condo from the owner. We stayed in unit 1906 at the Ocean Walk hotel. The unit was on the top floor and the view was amazing but the tremendous amount of smokers smoking on the balcony started early and continued throughout the evening so we couldn't use the balcony. The beach was beautiful but the religous man shouting through a megaphone standing on a bench 1 ft out the gate of the pool area made it unusable. The things he shouted were horrible and insulting. It was offensive that he was allowed to yell those things at anyones child. He would start at 10 am and shout until after 4pm and could be heard all the way on our 19th floor room. The lazy river was green/brown and not operable. The pool deck was packed from sun up to sun down and the water quality reflected the large swim load. The put-put wasn't free as stated in the directory. The nightly Karaoke was loud in the lobby which one evening included the full length version of Michael Jackson's triller. Its was a great video but WAY TOO MUCH SCREAMING for a lobby area. Yikes! Wifi was only free in the lobby so I know this went on every night.
When we arrived and were given a list of "dos" and "don'ts" and were charged a $150 room deposit. We kicked off our shoes when we got there. The tile was grimey and our feet were black in minutes. I felt like I had to leave a kidney on deposit to get a beach towel as we were warned not to use the ones provided in the unit anywhere and that the towels were to be cleaned before we left.
Eating options were ok but were a bit pricey. Our family of 5 never left a resturant under $80 and that is without alcoholic drinks.
I don't believe I would recommend staying at this resort at this time. Not being able to enjoy the balcony, the beach, or the pool deck was a huge disapointment and certainly not worth what I paid.

1 Thank lisamotley