“We stay here a lot”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Renton, Washington
“We stay here a lot”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Ocean Walk is an enigma. There is no question that it is probably the nicest timeshare on the beach but it is handled differently than the other Wyndham resorts. Many of the units have full-time owners who rent them out so there are not only timeshares but daily rentals, and also in the AAA book as hotel rooms. So there always seems to be a question about our reservation. The timeshare is, of course, a great deal for us, especially compared to the nightly rate. We have enjoyed very much the nightly stays available through the Wyndham points system. We have stayed there many times, most recently December 2010 and will stay again in January 2012.
We have only been able to get to the front desk once when calling in advance and I always want to call in advance to verify our reservation, especially since they also have had, more than once, problems verifying our reservation once we were there. They only want you to call the regular Wyndham 800-number which is of no help for confirming our reservation onsite. There is also a long wait time on that line.
Front desk people have not been very friendly. VIP desk seems to be no more with no early check in’s and when it used to be in operation, we had to wait until after 5 p.m. more than once for our room to be ready. One time, when we had back to back reservations, which they assured us were fine; then security came to our door at 11 am. demanding that we leave immediately I had to rush downstairs to verify our dates, which of course, I had already verified upon check-in. A front desk person had assured us it was fine. Like I said, there always seems to be a “question” about our reservation.
One reviewer has said as exchangers, they felt like a second class citizen. Well, don’t feel so bad, owners are treated that way too. In that case, I don’t know who would get a nice front desk clerk. Check out usually requires a long wait in line as well (while we are sweating out the 10 a.m. or else check-out deadline!)
There is also always something in the room needing to be fixed, the most common the televisions. They are missing remotes, missing the electric wire, cable connections are twisted or actually broken off, and twice were not even hooked up to any wires; so now we know to check them right away since at midnight, when going to bed, when we find there is no television in the bedroom, it is not the time to call and wait for maintenance. Shower doors off rails, toilet seats broken, no kitchen wastebasket, dryer won’t turn off …lots of maintenance problems which may or may not get fixed the next day. One time, right after the Fairfield name was changed to Wyndham, there was no bedspread on the bed. The bedroom looked so strange; it actually took me a while to realize that the blanket was on top with the mattress showing below. I called to ask for one 3 days in a row, I guess they couldn’t believe it either. Finally I asked if this was the new “Wyndham decorating system”…well, I don’t think they “got” it – but they brought a bedspread then! Most recently, the front desk person was not interested in any of our maintenance notes until we told him about the roaches we found. He perked up then!
Apparently, they have changed the pool towels procedure from before, but it is still not ideal. They will charge you $15 each for not returning the pool towels but when you return them to the special office downstairs, the lady just says, “Thanks, just throw them out on the pile there in the hall. Goodbye.” Well, I wanted some sort of receipt to prove that they had taken out the carbon copy of my name from their file, but she said No, could not get one, didn’t need one. That makes me nervous.
This to say that I am usually very happy even with non 5- star resorts, so this one seems so strange since as an obvious gorgeous 5 star resort, there always is an issue. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful resort, oceanfront, and art deco décor that will knock you over. Pools are lovely; outdoor bar is nice, morning breakfast is great with friendly waitpersons there, proximity to restaurants is good and we especially like the Starlite Diner right across the street. .

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank RonandJoan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My adult son and I just spent four nights at the Wyndham Ocean Walk for a November getaway and to do some research for our website, BeachManiac.com. It is a beautiful resort-style complex. We walked and biked up and down the beach quite a bit, and as far as I could tell this has by far the best pool area in Daytona, with two large resort style pool and an awesome hotbub that overlooks the water. The pool water was a perfect temperature (although the lazy river water was cool). We got an incredible off-season deal from a private owner through VRBO. The Ocean Walk shopping area connects with the resort, and has a lot of cool restaurants and shops, and even a 10-screen movie theater. The Daytona pier area with the arcade and tourist shops is a short walk down the beautiful hard-packed sand beach. Unfortunately the pier is being renovated and is closed right now. If you want to eat on a pier or rent a fishing pole and bait, the Sunglow pier is about six miles down the beach. We went down there one day and drove back on the sand. it was a cool experience to drive on the beach. It cost $5 but was well worth it. You can park anyplace and get out and enjoy the water or throw a frisbee around (which is what we did). The water was clean and enjoyable. Back to the resort itself, I would definitely recommend it, especially for families with young kids. It even has two indoor pools if the weather gets bad.

1 Thank BillHurley
Tallahassee, FL
Reviewed 21 November 2011

The check-in here initially was a nightmare. My husband and I lodged here from Thursday-Sunday based on a timeshare my aunt booked for us. There was complete confusion about the one-bedroom suite v. room and having an oceanfront room v. Standard room. There is a disconnect between the reservation line & the resort. The reservation line tells you to request an oceanfront once you arrive, however, the resort says they don't change rooms. The resort customer relations rep got involved and took care of the situation in a heart beat! He upgraded us to a 2br oceanfront that just had remarkable views of the water and boardwalk. We didn't partake in any of the resort activities because the room was just incredible! The only downside to this resort is that checkout is at 10am...most places allow a noon checkout so that was the only downfall. We signed up for a timeshare presentation for Sunday morning, but canceled after changing our minds about sitting through the 90-min presentation. All in all, this was by far this was the best place we've stayed while visiting Daytona and would definitely consider staying @ Ocean Walk again!!!

Room Tip: just know that if you make reservation for room through reservation line, room type may not be guara...
1 Thank jwrembert

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Reviewed 20 November 2011

The hotel was nice and the rooms were spacious but their billing / accounting department has problems! I stayed for two nights an the hotel charged me for four, I called an complained and was reassured it would be fixed. Instead of refunding two nights they charged a third additional night!! It took we all week to try an get it straightened out and supposably they money should be refunded next week, 8-10 days after checkout!!! In the mean time overdraft fees are stacking up, which they agreed to pay by check which could take up to two weeks past the refund date!! So in the mean time I'm out a week an a half worth of overdraft fees and I've been unable to use my account!! The only response I've gotten from the hotel is "sorry this happened".

• Stayed November 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 November 2011

No wifi in rooms , carpet ragged in. A few areas,ac broke but was fixed quickly

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank William A
indianapolis
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed at a private purpase timeshare for 5 days mid-october. The resort was top 10's, very clean organized, and well staffed. We stayed in a 2 bedroom with 3 peoplle, and had more than enough room. One person in our group was an elderly senior and the distance walking to the room was significant. The pool deck was nice and the lazy river an added plus. Great, great location, in the ,middle of everything. Close distance to the airport when one of our party left early. Great restaurants abound, but the kitchen was adequately stocked to easily have breakfast and snacks daily. Would definately recommend.

Room Tip: Private rental from a timeshare owner
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank grenadier
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I just got back from my vacation on Nov 5-10th. It was definitley the off season so the hotel was full enough but nothing even close to overcrowded and annoying. After being there I would suggest going in October if you are a swimmer just to have a slightly warmer day. Now to the hotel, after reading these reviews I see there is a big difference in the way the timeshare owners are treated vs a general room booed through wyndham. It lookes like they have already seperated by floors with the timeshare owners getting better views, higher floors, and nicer rooms. If you want to stay here try to find a private owner that gives you pics a head of time. We went through a friends timeshare again, and had a spectacular time. This location and Waikiki were both very clean and comfortable.

Everyone at the front desk was extremely kind and they spent time with each guest, so I didn't mind the wait because when it was my turn they gave me the time to answer my questions. The room was very clean, we stayed in a two bedroom corner condo. It was hard adjusting to washing your own towels since this is not a normal hotel but a timeshare. But the washer and dryer were efficient and it actually was nice to know nobody was entering our room to clean when we were gone. We had four adults and two children and we felt very comfortable. The condo is plenty big enough to hold us all and not have that clausterphobic feeling. The pools were very nice and at this time of the year were not overcrowded so even more enjoyable. The location to the beach could not be beat. We went to the beach everyday even though it was windy. For eating, we used our kitchen a lot which had tons of pans and utensils to cook any meal. If eating out, I would definitly recommend the steak house at the Hilton, the restaurants at the little shopping center that are attached to the hotel aren't exactly the best. If Im going to pay $15-$25 per plate i want to be satisfied.

One thing they don't exactly explain is that you have to go to the Lower Level to collect your beach towels, they aren't waiting for you in your room. When I went to get my welcome package for the wrist bands I was very upfront that I had no interest in the timeshare and the man was very understanding and didn't pressure me at all. I was extremely impressed that when my daughter left her tokens for the arcade on a table by the hotel bar that the bartender took it upon himself to go replace them when we came back and couldn't find them. My daughter is six so it literally meant so much to her.

The one and only complaint I have is about one of their managers. I had to go to the lower level to print our boarding passes. They were out of toner so when he came to replace it he griped about how people wasted his paper and toner by pushing print too many times and printing out stupid stuff. Obviously, I didn't do it so had no worries. But then he proceeded to stand over me while i printed them. I had about 12 pieces of paper because I was printing two tickets per adult (6 with us) because of a layover. He sarcasitcally asked me "wow, they have you changing flights that many times??" So when I explained how many peoples tickets i was printing he walked away. Its sad that he is the manager and will so poorly run the employees into the ground if thats how he treats guests. Im assuming he has short man sydrome.......

Cocoa beach was great to visit if you want a day trip. And Disney world took us about 1 hour to get to or 1 1/2 if rush hour. Totally worth going to Magic Kingdom for one day.

2 Thank Megan R
Daytona Beach Regency
Daytona Beach Regency
#21 of 72 in Daytona Beach
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Oceanfront
Hyatt Place Daytona Beach - Ocea...
#2 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores

Been to Wyndham Ocean Walk? Share your experiences!