Ocean Walk is an enigma. There is no question that it is probably the nicest timeshare on the beach but it is handled differently than the other Wyndham resorts. Many of the units have full-time owners who rent them out so there are not only timeshares but daily rentals, and also in the AAA book as hotel rooms. So there always seems to be a question about our reservation. The timeshare is, of course, a great deal for us, especially compared to the nightly rate. We have enjoyed very much the nightly stays available through the Wyndham points system. We have stayed there many times, most recently December 2010 and will stay again in January 2012.
We have only been able to get to the front desk once when calling in advance and I always want to call in advance to verify our reservation, especially since they also have had, more than once, problems verifying our reservation once we were there. They only want you to call the regular Wyndham 800-number which is of no help for confirming our reservation onsite. There is also a long wait time on that line.
Front desk people have not been very friendly. VIP desk seems to be no more with no early check in’s and when it used to be in operation, we had to wait until after 5 p.m. more than once for our room to be ready. One time, when we had back to back reservations, which they assured us were fine; then security came to our door at 11 am. demanding that we leave immediately I had to rush downstairs to verify our dates, which of course, I had already verified upon check-in. A front desk person had assured us it was fine. Like I said, there always seems to be a “question” about our reservation.
One reviewer has said as exchangers, they felt like a second class citizen. Well, don’t feel so bad, owners are treated that way too. In that case, I don’t know who would get a nice front desk clerk. Check out usually requires a long wait in line as well (while we are sweating out the 10 a.m. or else check-out deadline!)
There is also always something in the room needing to be fixed, the most common the televisions. They are missing remotes, missing the electric wire, cable connections are twisted or actually broken off, and twice were not even hooked up to any wires; so now we know to check them right away since at midnight, when going to bed, when we find there is no television in the bedroom, it is not the time to call and wait for maintenance. Shower doors off rails, toilet seats broken, no kitchen wastebasket, dryer won’t turn off …lots of maintenance problems which may or may not get fixed the next day. One time, right after the Fairfield name was changed to Wyndham, there was no bedspread on the bed. The bedroom looked so strange; it actually took me a while to realize that the blanket was on top with the mattress showing below. I called to ask for one 3 days in a row, I guess they couldn’t believe it either. Finally I asked if this was the new “Wyndham decorating system”…well, I don’t think they “got” it – but they brought a bedspread then! Most recently, the front desk person was not interested in any of our maintenance notes until we told him about the roaches we found. He perked up then!
Apparently, they have changed the pool towels procedure from before, but it is still not ideal. They will charge you $15 each for not returning the pool towels but when you return them to the special office downstairs, the lady just says, “Thanks, just throw them out on the pile there in the hall. Goodbye.” Well, I wanted some sort of receipt to prove that they had taken out the carbon copy of my name from their file, but she said No, could not get one, didn’t need one. That makes me nervous.
This to say that I am usually very happy even with non 5- star resorts, so this one seems so strange since as an obvious gorgeous 5 star resort, there always is an issue. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful resort, oceanfront, and art deco décor that will knock you over. Pools are lovely; outdoor bar is nice, morning breakfast is great with friendly waitpersons there, proximity to restaurants is good and we especially like the Starlite Diner right across the street. .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beach front resort located next to Ocean Walk shops and movie theater. Units are spacious and comfortable with home conveniences including washer/dryer. Daily maid service is not provided. On site parking is limited to one (1) spot per unit regardless of unit ocupancy. Additional public parking located accross street for a fee. Studio/suites are interior/city view and do not have a balcony. Check in begins at 4pm. Please note: Some units at Ocean Walk are privately owned condominiums and are not managed, serviced or rented through Wyndham. For rental information of Wyndham managed units see Extra Holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Ocean Walk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Ocean Walk Hotel Daytona Beach
- Wyndham Hotel Daytona Beach
- Wyndham Daytona Beach
- Daytona Beach Wyndham
- Wyndham Ocean Walk Daytona Beach, Florida