“Don't go for the beautiful pool in December!”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Dec 30-Jan 1, 2012

I have stayed at Daytona since my teens in the Daytona's Spring Break hay days! It went way down hill and has since been on somewhat of a rise over the last 5 or 10 years. That being said, it is still a bit on the rough side. This resort and the restaurants & shops attached to it make all of that much more tolerable. I would not put Daytona anywhere near the top of my choices though for a family vacation.

Because of the good security and facilites on site, we were looking forward to a nice relaxing 3 days of mid 70 degree weather by the pool and beach, enjoying the property. Well the weather held up and the staff were quite friendly. The room was not ready even minutes prior to 4pm, and in all fairness check-in was 4pm and we got our room at 4pm.

The 3 main pools out back were not what we expected. The two outer pools were maybe mid 70's, but nowhere near a pleasant temperature. The center pool which is the lazy river may have had ice cubes in it. I had stared at the photo of the lazy river several times prior to this trip and was very dissapointed it was not heated. The tiki bar (called something else) does not even open again until February! The beach was as great as always!

The room was a one bedroom which is what we booked. The bedroom portion was adjacent to the elevators and noisy. The bedroom window looked out to the hallway and elevator and had horizontal blinds with decorative side curtains that did not move. So at night, if you like a dark room and quiet, you will get neither. The flatscreen on the wall was comical. If I can figure out how I will post a picture of it. It must have been a 19"-20" or so. It looked more like a laptop mounted to the wall.

The main living room was spacious and had a very large flatscreen TV. The entire room was clean. It did not however smell clean or fresh in any way (more like the waffle house). The handle to the sliding glass door was broken off and laid with the remote controls like it belonged there. There was a full ktichen that we never used, but appeared to have whatever you neeeded.

The location has a large 3 story small mall of sorts with shops and restaurants adjacent and attached to it. Opposite the shop area was a Hilton that looked pretty nice. I know it used to be Adams Mark back in the day. I have not stayed at that facility (Hilton) but would look into it if I decide to return.

I would NOT stay at this resort again unless it were between the warmer months of maybe May - September and one heck of a bargain!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zehmbobweh

Reviewed 15 December 2011

This was a terrible experience.We checked 4 different rooms none were clean all had missing light bulbs (seemed to be strategically placed to hide dirt and mold).Sliding doors didnt lock. Blinds were broken and woudnt close and faced a hallway. The first room smelled of stale cigarette smoke so bad we could not go in. The last room I was surprised it actually looked nice until we had bulbs replaced and especially in the bath room the tub had black mold all around the inside of the tub and running down the outside corners of the tub. I called house keeping and they said it would be tomorrow before someone would come while we were out so they could remove the caulk and it would have time to dry?! However a lady came and scrubbed on the tub and then asked us if it was o.k. I told her to leave the cleaning supplies- I got in the tub in my shorts and cleaned this tub and used boiling water off of the stove to rinse it down and finally it was useable. We had asked for our money back to go some where else but they said we had to talk to the reservation line the next day! You have to leave a deposit to use a luggage cart that you have to pick up in another building.?! The amount of time it takes to check in is redicules 30-45 mins. No one there when you want to check out no one to answer the phone when you call in the morn. We were suppose to receive a voucher from their sales pitch within 14 days -after calling a number of times- we received it 5 1/2 wks later when the the instructions say it has to be returned in30 to even be acknowledged so we will have to see how that goes. We had other problems but we also spoke to 2 other couples at different times in the elevator who were upset by basically the same things we were.The location is nice as are the pools and the grounds are kept well. I will say we stayed in a Wyndham Days Inn and it wa
s 100% cleaner and really nice especially for the money it was 1/2 the cost twice the quality.

Room Tip: read as many reviews as possible and check out other hotels before hand. check out the webb sites an...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Please be advised that you will be required to give a credit card at check in for a deposit of 150$ per unit. So if you rent a 3 bedroom with a lockout room you will be required to post 300$ deposit. Your card will be charged immediately and you will have a hellofatime getting your money back after check out. I have complained, called and written everyone I can and still have not gotten my deposit refunded to my card. Please read the reviews and take them seriously. i had other issues as well. You are not guaranteed a parking spot and if it is full, you will have to pay to park across the street.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank looky123
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We rented our condos from Daytona Oceanfront Rentals. Carmen & Dennis were fabulous to us and they went out of their way to get us the highchair, pack and plays, and air mattresses we needed. The biggest problem I had was the "3rd bedroom" had a window to the hall right next to both doors. That meant that the hall light was on all the time every night & anytime anyone walked down the hall we heard them loud & clear. We had some family renting a "2 bedroom" condo that was exactly the same as ours, but the extra room was just a sitting room with a pull out couch & tv. If you're renting, go with a 2 bedroom!

The pools were fabulous. The paved beachwalk is nice. It's close to everything. The beach was full of seaweed, but it was November on Daytona Beach so I expect nothing less.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Cyndi F
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We needed to find a hotel or condo near the Ocean Center Convention Center, and this is the closest condo, 0.3 miles away. We stayed in 711AB (South tower) and rented directly through a management company (www.daytonaoceanfrontrentals.com; Carmen and Dennis own the company and they are fantastic) and it was affordable and well worth it! It was a nicely decorated, spacious 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo (it can be separated into 2 units, but we left it open). There were 2 comfortable beds in each of the room, which was great b/c it can accomodate more people (since this was for business, no one shared a bed). A 5th person slept in the 2nd living room, although directly on the sofa since the sofabed wasn't very comfortable, but she had plenty of space. Check-in was easy and no one tried to get us to do a timeshare tour. The A unit is on the ocean front and is the bigger unit with a full kitchen. B unit is the back unit and I wouldn't rent that alone b/c it would be dark and the windows face the interior of the building. We didn't cook in the kitchen, but it seemed to have the basics needed if we did. The outdoor pools were nice and the lazy river was lots of fun! The beach is right in front of the pools (separated by a boardwalk). The unit had it's own wi/fi, but it was spotty. I think this is mostly due to spotty internet in the area (I heard similar problems at the Hilton and convention center). The resort was very convenient to restaurants and bars (Mai Tai's had great happy hour specials in the afternoon and at night). So glad we stayed here. Thanks Carmen and Dennis for your help!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jenwuwu
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Ocean Walk is an enigma. There is no question that it is probably the nicest timeshare on the beach but it is handled differently than the other Wyndham resorts. Many of the units have full-time owners who rent them out so there are not only timeshares but daily rentals, and also in the AAA book as hotel rooms. So there always seems to be a question about our reservation. The timeshare is, of course, a great deal for us, especially compared to the nightly rate. We have enjoyed very much the nightly stays available through the Wyndham points system. We have stayed there many times, most recently December 2010 and will stay again in January 2012.
We have only been able to get to the front desk once when calling in advance and I always want to call in advance to verify our reservation, especially since they also have had, more than once, problems verifying our reservation once we were there. They only want you to call the regular Wyndham 800-number which is of no help for confirming our reservation onsite. There is also a long wait time on that line.
Front desk people have not been very friendly. VIP desk seems to be no more with no early check in’s and when it used to be in operation, we had to wait until after 5 p.m. more than once for our room to be ready. One time, when we had back to back reservations, which they assured us were fine; then security came to our door at 11 am. demanding that we leave immediately I had to rush downstairs to verify our dates, which of course, I had already verified upon check-in. A front desk person had assured us it was fine. Like I said, there always seems to be a “question” about our reservation.
One reviewer has said as exchangers, they felt like a second class citizen. Well, don’t feel so bad, owners are treated that way too. In that case, I don’t know who would get a nice front desk clerk. Check out usually requires a long wait in line as well (while we are sweating out the 10 a.m. or else check-out deadline!)
There is also always something in the room needing to be fixed, the most common the televisions. They are missing remotes, missing the electric wire, cable connections are twisted or actually broken off, and twice were not even hooked up to any wires; so now we know to check them right away since at midnight, when going to bed, when we find there is no television in the bedroom, it is not the time to call and wait for maintenance. Shower doors off rails, toilet seats broken, no kitchen wastebasket, dryer won’t turn off …lots of maintenance problems which may or may not get fixed the next day. One time, right after the Fairfield name was changed to Wyndham, there was no bedspread on the bed. The bedroom looked so strange; it actually took me a while to realize that the blanket was on top with the mattress showing below. I called to ask for one 3 days in a row, I guess they couldn’t believe it either. Finally I asked if this was the new “Wyndham decorating system”…well, I don’t think they “got” it – but they brought a bedspread then! Most recently, the front desk person was not interested in any of our maintenance notes until we told him about the roaches we found. He perked up then!
Apparently, they have changed the pool towels procedure from before, but it is still not ideal. They will charge you $15 each for not returning the pool towels but when you return them to the special office downstairs, the lady just says, “Thanks, just throw them out on the pile there in the hall. Goodbye.” Well, I wanted some sort of receipt to prove that they had taken out the carbon copy of my name from their file, but she said No, could not get one, didn’t need one. That makes me nervous.
This to say that I am usually very happy even with non 5- star resorts, so this one seems so strange since as an obvious gorgeous 5 star resort, there always is an issue. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful resort, oceanfront, and art deco décor that will knock you over. Pools are lovely; outdoor bar is nice, morning breakfast is great with friendly waitpersons there, proximity to restaurants is good and we especially like the Starlite Diner right across the street. .

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank RonandJoan
Reviewed 25 November 2011

My adult son and I just spent four nights at the Wyndham Ocean Walk for a November getaway and to do some research for our website, BeachManiac.com. It is a beautiful resort-style complex. We walked and biked up and down the beach quite a bit, and as far as I could tell this has by far the best pool area in Daytona, with two large resort style pool and an awesome hotbub that overlooks the water. The pool water was a perfect temperature (although the lazy river water was cool). We got an incredible off-season deal from a private owner through VRBO. The Ocean Walk shopping area connects with the resort, and has a lot of cool restaurants and shops, and even a 10-screen movie theater. The Daytona pier area with the arcade and tourist shops is a short walk down the beautiful hard-packed sand beach. Unfortunately the pier is being renovated and is closed right now. If you want to eat on a pier or rent a fishing pole and bait, the Sunglow pier is about six miles down the beach. We went down there one day and drove back on the sand. it was a cool experience to drive on the beach. It cost $5 but was well worth it. You can park anyplace and get out and enjoy the water or throw a frisbee around (which is what we did). The water was clean and enjoyable. Back to the resort itself, I would definitely recommend it, especially for families with young kids. It even has two indoor pools if the weather gets bad.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family