“Great Hotel and Location, Not So Great Front Desk Staff!”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Athens, Tennessee
“Great Hotel and Location, Not So Great Front Desk Staff!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The Plus: Looking out the Balcony directly on the ocean!! Loved this hotel and its location, it is attached to the ocean walk center which has Bubba Gumps, a movie theater, Daytona Lagoon water park, and is only a few steps away from the board walk and crabby joes on the pier. Has ample sitting space on the pool deck and a great outdoor pool for the kids so you can relax while they play and the water not be over there head (well for my 4 year old it wasnt). So I was able to lay out in the sun and watch my son play in the water (and could stay within reaching distance to him). I rented from a private owner so was allowed an early check in. The rooms were spacious and clean. On the balcony you could see for miles and they have a fireworks show every saturday night on the pier that you can see wonderfully from your balcony. There is also a convenient poolside bar and restaurant right on the pool deck so you dont have to leave or go inside for food or drinks. And lastly they have on site security which made me feel a little safer while being around so many people. The Minus: When we arrived we were greeted by a not so friendly front desk staff. I am not a very picky person but these ladies were just exceptionally unfriendly and seem to go out of there way just to be rude and unfriendly. Even seem to get a get out of the way attitude with my 80 year old grandmother. But with that being said The property amenities and conveniences far outweigh the unfriendliness of the front desk staff. Just dont expect no help from the front desk ladies and all will be good;-) Also note this was just my experience at the time I stayed and with the people I dealt with there, I am sure and hopeful that these ladies dont represent everyone who works there.

Room Tip: Renting from a private owner will save you $$$. And normally they provide you with pictures of the e...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank almillsaps
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear almillsaps,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience in Daytona Beach. Although we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the physical property and amenities available, I am certainly disappointed to hear that the service you encountered did not mirror the amenities. Please know that we require our staff to attend robust and ongoing hospitality training, and I will personally follow up with the team to be sure they are aware of your experience and that we use your feedback as a tool to improve. Thank you for being our guest, and rest assured that we will work to improve upon your comments. We hope you will consider returning again soon.

Sunny Regards,

Assistant Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
southern california
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Let me preface this by saying that I am a WorldMark owner and we are now owned by Wyndham. :) So I've been a spoiled WorldMark owner since 1997. I've stayed at several Wyndham properties since the WorldMark/Wyndham merger and I don't even feel a difference as the quality of the vacation experience is what I've always come to expect from a WorldMark property.

My family and I stayed here for 5 days after taking a Carnival cruise out of Jacksonville. We were in a 2 bdrm deluxe unit on the 12th floor with an ocean view!!! It was fabulous!! The rooms were well appointed and the kitchen was adequately stocked. Typical to the Wyndham Resorts I've visited there was an extensive activities list provided but we were in relaxation mode. :) Overall, the experience was delightful and we will be returning in the future. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the location is right next door to the pier (I can't remember what it is called) where one night they had fireworks and some other nights there was a lot of activity. Also, there is a mall and movie theatre next door as well and other popular eateries.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dr4nzic1
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear 4nzic1 ,

We certainly appreciate your feedback from your stay over the holidays. My team will feel encouraged to hear that your experience was great, and still fresh in your mind months later. We hope you will return for the 2014 holiday season, and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Oh were do I start? Let's see we tried to check in about 11ish was told we could not check in until 4 because that was there check in time so I understand that no problem. Come back at 4:15 and we are told room is not ready and staff was extremely rude and arrogant so we finally get our room at 5 til six yes I am referring to pm. We were told the reason for the delay was they cannot release a room until the supervisor inspects it well we realize at 10pm when it is time to go to bed that not 1 of our pillows have a pillow case... call down to tell them that we would appreciate pillow cases so we can get our kids to bed. Half hour passes no pillow cases so i call and the rude and arrogant staff strikes again at 10:30 at night they say rudely it takes time! The worst thing about the whole stay was we paid $1400 for a week stay with ocean front room and told they have no ocean front rooms available so they give us a room on the side of the building were if we stretch our heads out over the balcony we can get a glimpse of the ocean. I am not even one of those people who go on with rants and have never reviewed a hotel before but my experience was so terrible I felt I really needed to share my experience. Please do yourself a favor and find another place to stay while in Daytona Beach

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Shawn B
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Shawn B,

Thank you for your feedback. I regret that your experience was less than desirable, and apologize for the challenges you encountered with your unit. I assure you the issue you had was isolated, and that we have put the operational setback behind us. It is definitely not the typical experience at Ocean Walk. It is our hopes that you reported concerns to Management while on property and received resolution. We hope you will consider returning to Ocean Walk in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We did not even get to check-in until 7:00, which was just the beginning of a nightmare. Room was terrible. Dirty and out dated. Later in the evening went for ice cream with our girls and sat down on the benches that overlook ocean and some drunk guy approached us. Went to bed and it sounded like a freight train in our room from the unit above us doing laundry at midnight! Glad we were only here for two days...which was two days too many. Worst place I have ever stayed! One positive...Todd at check-in gave us coupons and was actually very sympathetic.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Michele M
Kathleen G, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Michele M,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you did not have a great experience at Ocean Walk. I apologize for your delay at check-in and please know we are in the process of making some changes to ensure our guests are checked into their units on time. Also, we strive t provide top of the line accomodations for all our guests. Thank you for bring this to our attention as this will allow us to see where our areas of improvement are needed.

Best Regards,

Kathy Galarza
Owner Liaison Manager
Abingdon, Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The lobby and pool area was great. Room was a bit dated, had poor water pressure, lacked coffee and wifi - Things you'd expect at even a lower end facility. The front desk said the "condo owners" elected not to offer the Wifi, although you can sit in the lobby and hook up.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jesse84515
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Jesse84515,

Thank you for your candid feedback. Although I am glad you enjoyed the facility, I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your unit. Please understand that there are many ways to book at Ocean Walk, one of which is through an owner directly. This could explain why your unit was not equipped to our standards. To avoid this in the future, please book through www.extraholidays.com. The units offered through this program are well equipped and offer the amenities you lacked in your recent stay. We hope you will consider returning to experience Ocean Walk again in the future.

Atlanta
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Check in for this place was at 4pm. There were long lines at check in. Then I was told the room wasn't ready, because housekeeping was running behind. We had to wait for two hours until the room was ready. During that time, I had to stand in two more lines. One line was to get the pool passes and the parking pass, only one car could park on the property, (we had a party of eight) they said the other car had to park across the street at a parking garage, and no one knew how much it would cost. Then I had to stand in another line to wait to see how much longer it would be until my room was ready. Then we had to wait for carts to take our things upstairs and then had to wait in a long line for the elevator. When we got to the room, there weren't any towels in one bathroom or sheets for the pull out sofa bed. We called them for more towels, sheets, washcloths, and pillowcases. Three hours later they brought towels and sheets. They said they didn't have any washcloths or pillowcases on the property. The furniture was old and uncomfortable. I would NEVER stay at this place again!!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Zxyh
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Zxyh,

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is not acceptable that you were checked in after guaranteed check in time, nor the condition your room was in. Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered with the unit and crowds. Rest assured that I will share your comments with our Management team and we will utilize your feedback as a tool to improve our services. We hope that this isolated experience does not tarnish your confidence, and we hope that you will reconsider returning to Ocean Walk. Please reach out to me directly if I can be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Derek.Shelly@wyn.com
Aroma Park, Illinois
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The reviews tell the story. There are almost as many terrible reviews as excellent ones.
It is a GREAT location, a more than OK facility and TERRIBLE staff. They will promise anything and deliver almost nothing.
What you need to understand is this is not a normal "hotel/resort". It is a timeshare, they rent out unused units. Some of these units are good, some terrible. The front desk is so used to complaints they JUST DO NOT CARE. If you really need help, you will not get it. Yes, there are some really good people at the resort, just not in management.
If you want to stay here, DO NOT RENT from the front desk. Use one of the online renters such as daytonaoceanwalk.com. (local office that will help much more than the front desk, has own cleaning staff, I believe these are privately owned units). Either way expect NOTHING from the front desk.
I do owe thanks to Oceanwalk. My husband was considering buying several weeks at Wyndham. The plan was to become a platinum member and spend most Chicago winters staying different Wyndham complexes. This trip ended that.

Room Tip: rent on line fromm someone that OWNS and cares for the unit.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank CHERI60901
Derek S, Manager at Wyndham Ocean Walk, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear CHERI60901,

Thank you for your feedback. Allow me to clarify, the Resort is a mixed use property, mostly timeshare, and wholly owned units. Some of the whole owned units are available on a nightly rental basis, much like a hotel. It seems as if this was the type of booking you chose. Regardless of booking type, our staff and Management is committed to providing world class service to everyone, and I regret that you did not receive the same level of treatment. Rest assured that we value your business. Please contact me directly so I can understand what specific issues you encountered so that I can attempt to resolve them.

Derek.Shelly@wyn.com