“Awesome - Very enjoyable stay”
Review of Wyndham Ocean Walk

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We spent the week before school started at the Ocean Walk and had a great time. After reading other reviews I was concerned about the elevator issues but we had very few problems. Check-in and check-out were obviously busy times for the elevators, but regular usage was no problem.

The staff was awesome - quick check in at 3:45 on a Saturday. The room was nice and clean with lots of dishes and utensils. The room was very very nice. No parking issues at all - we went out 1-2 times a day and always found a close parking spot on the first level of the parking garage. It appeared to fill up late at night but this was not an issue for us as we were in our room after about 9:00 PM.

The pool area was awesome and beach was beautiful. Our son did a few of the activities for kids and enjoyed them. The activities staff was very helpful and nice. In some reviews people complain about the '30-minute chair reserve policy' but we liked it. It's so frustrating to visit a hotel where at 7:00 AM every morning people rush to the pool, throw their towel on a chair, and then claim it for the entire day (even if they don't use it more than a few minutes). This allowed us to find a chair when we needed it.

We were disappointed at the lack of a sit-down restaurant on property, but there were a few places to eat within walking distance.

The only complains we had were that Daytona itself is kind of a dump - very few nice restaurants, lots of old/run down/closed businesses, but we had a great time at the resort. Also no free Internet access! Free wifi in the lobby, but you're out of luck in your room. It's ridiculous that the redneck hotel down the street has free wifi but the Wyndham can't provide it when you pay $200+ night. We would have gladly paid for wifi.

1  Thank Matt S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,225)

Reviewed 14 August 2009

1. Upon driving 15 hours and checking in, I had to wait for over an hour and a half to catch an elevator from the parking garage to our floor. That was ridiculous.

2. The pool policy of confiscating all our stuff after 30 minutes is horrible. I was swimming with two children and we decided to get out of the pool. We got to our chair only to discover all our stuff was missing. It took me 15 minutes of searching out "security" guards to find out that they threw it all in a trash bag. This is a horrible, horrible policy for a "family" resort. Do you really expect people to just lay out and sunbathe and not get in the pools without constantly running back to security and "checking in" to make sure all their stuff doesn't vanish. It's a damn good thing I didn't have my wallet, cell phone or any valuables with me that day.

3. The utensils in the room were sub-par. We had to make due with a pizza cutter that was broken. The only pot in the room held about 2 cups of water and there were no baking pans at all. I have stayed at many different resorts through time share trades and this one was the worst stocked kitchen I have ever seen and it wasn't even close.

4. The door on the second bedroom of the unit we had wouldn't even close because of swelling or it was improperly hung.

5. The shower in the main bedroom wasn't very clean upon check in. It wasn't filthy, but it also looked like it hadn't be truly cleaned in a few weeks.

6. The pool area was roped off every morning for cleaning. We walked on the beach to see the sunrise one morning and security wouldn't let us walk through the pool area to access the beach. We had to walk through the resort down to the South exit to get to the beach. For a resort that is "on the beach" that is another horrible policy.

7. No fewer than 3 times did the fire alarm go off during the week. I felt like I was a freshman in college again living in a crappy dorm.

All in all, we were quite disappointed with our week but made the most of it. Actually the expression "that's Wyndham for you" became sort of a running joke with us as the week progressed. I can not and will not recommend this resort to anyone.

3  Thank bucki4life
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We spent a week at Ocean Walk the last week of July. After reading the mixed reviews, we felt compelled to give it a try, WISH WE HAD LISTENED TO THE BAD ONES. Check in was a joke, waited over 45 minutes to check into a room you had already paid for in full. They did come around and pass out cookies, pizza and drinks. The front desk at this time were nice. Elevators were a joke. We always waited at least 15 minutes and several times we opted for the stairs which was not bad since we were on the 6th floor, but not a option if you were on the 19th. Pool area would and could be nice if it was taken care of. Lazy river always looked dirty and pool with slide ALWAYS had sand and junk in it even though they supposeably cleaned it every morning.We even seen feces in it our last evening! Parking was a joke if you came in late but they did pay for our parking the night we had to use the garage across the street. The security guards around there were VERY nasty and not kid friendly at all. The concept was good to have them, but they were very nasty to small children and patrolled things that didnt need it and things that did need to be addressed were over looked. You were suppose to wear wrist bands but again security picked and choose who they would check. We rented from a VRBO and room was ok. No sheets on pull out and we were told we had to ask owners, blender didnt work, little things like that.We did voice our concerns to the front desk but they were simply ignored. One staff member did agree with me that the security guards were very nasty but again that went no where. Over all huge dissapointment and we have decided our last visit to Daytona. Such a shame that a place that advertises how wonderful it is, really is anything but. DON'T waste your money, pay attention to the bad reviews. Believe me they are there for a reason!!

1  Thank cincymomof3
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We arrived at 5 pm on a Sunday and the lobby was packed! However, we quickly got our room in about 10 minutes. I was quite impressed with the size of the resort how quickly we got in our room. The only downside to the resort is parking. There is only 1 parking space per unit even if you are in a 3 or 4 bedroom suite. There was convenient parking garage across the street. The parking garage had a special rate for Wyndham guests. However, it was rather confusing to purchase and use. This resort is 75% timeshared so more than likely you will be asked to attend a timeshare meeting for some gift. The pools, lazy river, and beach were outstanding - by far the best out there! The resort also has beach towels for all of their guests! Internet was found only in the lobby. The rooms were quite spacious with a great view of the ocean and beach. However, not all of the rooms face the ocean. Lastly, my family had a great time doing many of the activities the resort has to offer. Most of them are geared towards children. I will definitely try to get back there again!

1  Thank kewldog4
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Our stay at OceanWalk was from August 5-8, 2009..3 nights. My husband was attending a conference and we took along our 13 year old daughter and her friend. At previous conferences in Daytona we had stayed at the Hilton (was Adams Mark) next door, but we wanted 2 bedrooms and OceanWalk was a better deal. Just before we left I decided to check TripAdvisor and was dismayed at so many negative comments on OceanWalk. Our experience was positive so I feel compelled to give the negative reviews some balance. I'm going to write this as I go and give a lot of detail because I had so many questions about OW that I wish had been addressed in some of the other reviews. It will be long, but I hope it will be of use to others.

First, let me say that I am from Florida and would not choose Daytona as a place to vacation. I think there are other better beaches in Florida and the whole Daytona scene, shops, etc. isn't really my cup of tea. But if you go there and if you stay at OW here's my 2 cents.

This resort is huge, and it has many time-share places within it, so the different units may be in different states of repair or comfort, I guess. Our suite was simply excellent. We got a 2 bedroom, 2 bath on the 23rd floor of the North Tower (25 stories high). I was disappointed when my husband said that they didn't have any oceanfront available, but when I saw our place I was very happy. We were put in a corner unit, with a wraparound balcony so the view is of the river and the town to the west and to the south you can see miles of beach and the Atlantic Ocean stretching out. At night the lights are magical and with the 3 sliding glass doors we have a great view from inside to the south and west at the same time. Another unexpected advantage of this location was that we can see the sunset. After looking up at the ones on the beach side I decided that I liked our side better since we had a panoramic view and such a large balcony. The balconies on the ocean side are much smaller.

Info on the unit, #2333, cost $199 per night reserved through calling OW, not through a private or timeshare situation. We perhaps could have gotten a better price, but after seeing our unit I thought this was a reasonable price for it. Also, staying in 2 rooms at the Hilton, even with the conference discount, would have been more than this so we were satisfied.

Unit seems freshly painted in tropical colors. The furniture is of good quality and the upholstery is not worn at all. Everything is very clean. Drapes and carpet look new. The bedspreads seem a little worn, but not bad. The master bedroom mattress was firm but comfortable. The girls said the same about the double beds. The sheets are of decent quality, not high end, but not thin or scratchy. 3 good pillows on the master bed. There are 3 TVs in the unit, one for each BR and one in the living room. Lots of nice lamps--Master BR has a lamp on each side of the bed, but the room with 2 double beds only has one on the table between the beds. There is an alarm clock in the both bedrooms. There is an iron and full sized ironing board.

Master bathroom has a shower and a jacuzzi tub. Very spacious. They give you bar soap and a few little bottles of shampoo, etc. but the shampoo wouldn't last long. There were handtowels, washcloths and 4 bath towels in the master bathroom and 4 in the other bathroom, so not having enough towels was not an issue. Only weird thing in the master bath is that there is only one hook to hang towels...no bars or rings. There is a hair dryer both bathrooms.

The living room has a 30" TV, not flat screen or high definition, but fine. There are numerous cable channels, a DVD and VCR player. Also a boom box type thing for music. We did not use this. The dining room has a long table that seats 6 with very sturdy and comfortable chairs. A bonus was that I was able to get an unlocked wireless connection from the living room and the master bedroom. The signal was low inside, but on the balcony the signal was usually great. There is a computer room in OW and I saw people using laptops sitting in the comfortable chairs in the lobby, so even if you didn't luck into this free wireless you can access it elsewhere.

The kitchen is large and equipped with all the basic stuff. Because I was concerned about what to bring I will give some detail here about what was in our kitchen: Counter appliances were--Toaster, Blender, Coffeemaker (no filters provided). There is a large microwave above the electric stove, which is full sized and has a full sized oven. The fridge is medium sized, has a ice maker--I think this was turned off when we arrived, but I fooled around with the button and it works fine. They have a couple of cutting boards, full set of forks, spoons, knives, plus steak knives and some long knives. Probably would be a good idea to bring a good quality knife or two if you plan to cook. There is a large pot (size you would boil water for spaghetti), plus a small pan and a fry pan. These pans are of good quality. Provided are plates, bowls, cups, glasses, wine glasses. Also, colander, paper towel roll, measuring cups, grater, large serving/mixing spoons, spatula, can opener and corkscrew. There are several mixing bowls. No potholders. No plastic ware for using as foodsavers, except for one medium sized plastic bowl that has a top; no plastic wrap or foil. There is a dishwasher and a starter supply of DW detergent in little packs. There is a garbage disposal. The trash can has a plastic bag in it and there is a spare hung on the side of the trash can and a few more under the sink. There is no drain rack to put your dishes in if you hand wash them. There are several dishrags supplied and a new scrubbie (no sponge) and a couple of dish towels. No liquid dish soap is provided. Bottom line--we didn't do a lot of cooking, but I wish I had brought a good cutting knife, a few plastic containers and a small bottle of liquid dishsoap.

Stacked washer and dryer are in a closet. They give you a few starter packages of detergent, but you should consider bringing your own bottle if you think you will be doing laundry. The washer and dryer are small so can't do very big loads and the dryer is loud, but this wasn't that big of a problem to me.

Resort activities and comments on the general place:
Others complained about how crowded everything was, problems with elevators, etc. No complaints from us. Our stay in August is definitely low season so that should be factored in. We had no problems checking in, no problems with the elevators. There are only 4, but they came reasonably quickly and though you did have to stop at a lot of floors sometimes, anyone who has ever ridden elevators in tall buildings just accepts this. The people staying here are not the dregs of society as depicted by one reviewer. There are lots of normal middle class families, lots of happy sunburned kids; a variety of people, but perfectly nice to associate with!

After touring around the place with the girls I felt fine to let them go off on their own as long as they stayed together. Kids are allowed at the pool without adult supervision if they are older than 12. There are lots of security officers wandering around wearing gray uniforms. Game room for kids has arcade games; give them a lot of quarters if they are going to spend any time here. There is a small pool table in there, too. There is also a game room for adults next door with 2 pool tables, cost $1 per game. There are 3 computers in the adult game room. The computer room is next to these and they have a few more computers that you can sign up to use. I saw people in there with laptops. The indoor mini golf isn't much but could be something to do on a rainy day and it doesn't cost anything to play. It is in a big room on the 4th floor.

There are 4 different outside pool areas and you are supposed to wear your wristband in this area. At 10:30 am all the chairs at all the pools were taken but later in the afternoon, around 3 pm there were free chairs. The pool area did always seem kind of crowded. We preferred hanging out at the beach so we didn't make use of the pools. There is a kiddie pool which is shallow and has a fence around it and has little things to climb on, etc. This is a small area, but would be nice if you had a toddler. There is the "lazy river" pool which doesn't seem like much to me..you sit in a tube and go around an island. There were always people in it, though. You have to use their tubes which I guess could be hard to get sometimes, but there were several sitting on the side at 10:30 am. I saw a group of girls participating in a hula hoop contest with some resort personnel. Another pool has a volleyball net set up and the 4th pool is big and has a decent sized slide that corkscrews around, which seems like fun for kids. There is access to the beach from the pool area and this is monitored by a resort guy who isn't supposed to let you back in that gate unless you have the wristband, but I never saw him stop anyone and I came and went without a wristband many times. You can get beach towels from the resort for your stay, and if you don't turn it back in at the end they charge you $15 per towel. We were allotted 8 towels over our 3 night stay that we could get at any time, so one day we got 3 and could get the other ones whenever. There are 2 indoor pools, one in the North and one in the South Tower. The one in the North Tower is BY FAR the nicer one, so if you are staying in the South Tower & want to use an indoor pool go over to the North Tower one.

The gym has 4 new treadmills and good looking bikes and at least one elliptical. Otherwise the equipment and machines are old and the place isn't that nice. The free weights didn't include light weights that women typically use (3 lb and 5 lb) that I could see; there are towels available there. I used the treadmill and a couple of the machines, but didn't enjoy the workout much. There is nowhere to be on the floor to do situps, etc. All felt kind of grungy.

Make use of the concierge if you want to do any activities in the area. Our girls wanted to go to the Daytona Lagoon waterpark which is across the street. The cost is $20 for people over 4 ft. tall if you buy your ticket from the hotel concierge, and $29 if you buy at the waterpark. People under 4 ft. tall cost $17 at the hotel. The girls had fun and they went by themselves and spent about 3 hours there. They stamp your hand so you can re-enter but when my daughter used soap to wash her hands the stamp came off. They didn't want to go back anyway but that might have been a problem.

Restaurant comments-General Daytona Beach area--we didn't eat at any restaurant in the OW resort:
Pantheon Pizza for great pizza, very good price. We got a large 16 in. 3 topping plus a small greek salad (salad wasn't too good) and one imported bottled beer and the check was $20 not including tip. We took pizza home. Also people at the next table over had hamburgers and my husband said, " I don't eat hamburgers, but if I did I'd come here." Very, very casual. No ambience, wear whatever you have on. You have to drive over the bridge to get to it, but drive is only about 15 min.

Edamame Japanese Restaurant--just happened on this place after we bailed out on Bubba Gumps because it was so crowded and chaotic and the wait time was too long. We drove over the bridge looking for some local place and found this place in a strip shopping center near Outback. We had the hibachi meals and it was great fun to watch the cooking performance and great food. They also serve sushi, regular Japanese food, etc. Beer and wine very reasonable prices. Huge portions. Everyone took home leftovers. The hibachi meals come with soup, salad, shrimp appetizer, fried rice, noodles, whatever meat you choose. There was a veggie option that only cost $10.95 for all of it. Very fresh vegetables and delicious. We loved the people in this place too. Friendly and attentive. Nice decor, but not fancy.

Bubba Gumps--right next to the OW so easy walk. We peeked in and checked it out midday and thought it looked like fun. Looks like a good place to take kids, but when dinner time came it was mobbed. I would give it a try another time, but earlier in the day.

The Cellar--Italian restaurant just over the bridge and a little south of Int'l Speedway Blvd. Has an extensive wine list. Excellent italian food, the homemade pasta was the best thing we got. My husband got the snapper special which wasn't all that special, but the girls got the "alla checca" rigatoni with sauce and it was exceptional. I got seafood risotto. Two fabulous desserts to share. Would recommend this place for a special night out, a little expensive compared to other places we ate, but the food was really good. The concierge can make reservations for you.

Bottom line on our stay--OceanWalk is a family oriented place and don't expect otherwise. I'm sure that at times it is more crowded and that would likely make it less appealing, but our August stay was just fine.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
8  Thank LynK
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband, young son (4) and extended family got back Monday from a week stay at the Ocean Walk. I have to tell you that this resort impressed me very much. I have traveled widely, and had little to no complaints with this resort. There were ten of us in a 3 bedroom timeshare. We had a washer and dryer, as well as a full kitchen. While it is true that there were not many towels, doing laundry was no trouble at all. You could start it in the morning when you got up, throw stuff in the dryer, and have it be done when you got back from the beach. The pools were great, and the beach was lovely. We brought our own beach towels from home, and bought a cheap umbrella for 20 bucks. The food poolside was a tad expensive (9 bucks for a burger and fries) but hey, thats hotel food for you. I really enjoyed the activites the hotel had during our stay. We went to karaoke 3 times, water aerobics 2x, and hip hop aerobics! They also had a pirate and princess party that my 5 yr old niece enjoyed, and a hoola hoop contest my 9 yr old niece competed in. My son has autism and had a great time with the pools and the ocean, which was a great relief to us. Our hotel room never felt crowded. I do agree that the elevator situation is a complete joke. We stayed in the North Tower, which had 25 floors. One bank of elevators (4 total) is not nearly enough. I also don't understand why there isn't hotel wide wi-fi. However, even with those things considered, we had a fabulous time. The room was beautiful, the pool was great, and the beach was just gorgeous. I would go again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Brooked30
Reviewed 3 August 2009

As an avid traveler who has had wonderful and not-so-wonderful hotel experiences, I am imploring you NOT to stay at the Wyndham Ocean Walk!

I rented a one-bedroom condo at the Ocean Walk from Daytona Ocean Rentals (DBA Cindy [--]). The room was filthy! The bed linens were stained (both the set of linens on the bed and the back-up set) and the blanket had cigarette burns in it, even though the room was supposed to be non-smoking. The night stand and kitchen table both had sticky soda stains all over their surfaces. And the last renter's toiletries were still in the bathroom (someone's used razors, dirty hair brush. old Ziploc bags and tampon wrappers are not my idea of cleanliness).

It was a complete nightmare. To top it all off, the view from the balcony had been deliberately misrepresented. It looks as though Daytona Ocean Rentals took a picture of the view from a few floors above this condo and cropped the photo so you don't realize until you arrive that your view is 100% obstructed. Yes -- the entire hotel is between your room and the ocean. And with wall-to-wall windows along each internal hallway, all 20-something floors can see you while you try to relax on your balcony. I work in marketing; I know exactly how and why the picture was cropped like it was.

To make matters even worse, Daytona Ocean Rentals overcharged me $560! They promised to refund the unused portion of our stay because of these problems (which is the only reason we checked out early; otherwise we would have purchased our own sheets and stuck it out). But when I got home from vacation later in the week, I received a handwritten note (oh yeah, she's that professional) saying she had changed her mind and would not be refunding our money.

I have never in my entire life had a hotel or a merchant rip me off. It is the most frustrating experience I have ever had and I would never want another person to have to endure this. In an economy like this where people are struggling, I find it disgusting that there are hotels and rental companies who are trying to take advantage of people to make an extra buck. Please don't let this happen to you. Stay at the Hampton Inn; RUN from the Ocean Walk and Daytona Ocean Rentals!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple