“Not worth the money!!”

Wyndham Ocean Walk
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We stayed the this condo from June 6th to June 12th 2010 and it wasn't a 'horrible' experience, but it sure wasn't the best either. The location is nice, seeing how it is right on the beach and there are plenty of shops and eateries close by. We also really liked the variety of pools etc... We had some issues with the room that wasn't so pleasant. Ready? We rented our room #1305 from a private owner...(I will NEVER do that again). This is the first time I booked an actual condo, therefore I didn't really know what I was doing. We needed a couple extra trashbags a couple days before we left and the front desk told me that our room was considered no entry (because it was privately owned) therefore I could purchase them at the eatery down in the lobby. We were supposed to have a starter supply of laundry soap and we had none. When my 13 yr. old son went to the front desk to ask for some, the guy told him, "Well, I'm not supposed to give this to you, but here. If the person you are renting from said they would have some in your room, then there should be some in there." So yes, I appreciated him giving us some, even tho it sucked, but his attitude was wrong about the situation. I noticed right away that the hotel and especially once you stepped off the elevators, had a nasty smell. It smelled like pee or dirty socks or something. The elevators were always so slow!! I think the fact that the bedroom windows faced the hallway was a little weird. I was thinking the bedroom windows would of faced the beach. The washing machine sucked! It didn't even wash the clothes. The room itself looks so outdated! With the money they are bringing in at that place, you would think they would update!!!! The carpet and couch was nasty! The ice box was loud, the ice maker quit working mid way through our trip and water started coming out of the bottom of the fridge. I contacted the maint. man that we were told to call with any issues and I couldn't even get his # to go through, so I called the front desk and told them and I had to leave a voicemail for the building maint. man. I never received a call back nor was the stuff fixed before we left. The lock on the sliding balcony door was broke. Since it was considered a 'safety hazard' they sent someone up quickly to fix it and I wish I could remember his name because he was sooooo nice!!! There were dishes left in the dishwasher....I couldn't tell you if they were clean or dirty. The room stank. There was what looked as blood smeared on the bathroom floor next to the wall between the 2 bathroom doors and there was also some on the front of one of the dresser drawers. The toilet wouldn't flush right. There was hair all over the bathroom floor, around the toilet and tub etc...The shower curtain...OMG! It was molded on both sides from top to bottom!!!! There wasn't even a liner on the shower. It was a cloth shower curtain! I also assumed (could be my fault) that we would of had at least one dish rag and one dish towel, and there was nothing. I would of brought my own, but was under the impression that if there were towels, there would of been dish towels too.

The condo just wasn't clean. I have emailed the lady we rented it from 2 days ago and haven't heard anything as of yet. I stated all these issues with her and told her that I would want to know if the cleaning co. I was paying wasn't cleaning properly.

I won't be back to this place.

1  Thank melie1977
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Ocean Walk

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Stayed in a two bedroom ocean view on the 17th floor of the north tower that I purchased for a week from the owner. LOTS of room, everything was in great shape in our unit. Very handy having the washer & dryer and the kids loved having the jacuzzi. Security was always present and no problems. Pool area and beach were both nice and kids did several crafts in activity center, and the ice cream with warm cookies on the pool deck were delicious. Only complaint was elevators were crowded on Saturday afternoon because of check ins, (Was told almost 500) so had to wait at times. Heard others complaining about parking but we were told in advance only 1 parking pass per room, so if you had more than 1 vehicle you had to pay to park the extra vehicle in a public garage across the street that could add up real quick. also about no maid service but thats why you have the washer & dryer. (You can get maid service for extra $$.) Some people were also upset they had a strip view instead of an ocean view, I had made sure of our room view when I purchased it. It may make a difference whether you book thru Ocean Walk or an owner. Very convenient to Ocean Walk Shops, Daytona Lagoon, Starlite Diner, Boardwalk/Pier area. Was able to walk almost everywhere we needed to go. Staff was very friendly and always spoke to us when walking by. I did not pay for the wireless internet available in the room for $14.99 for the week, but did get on the free wi-fi in the lobby a couple of evenings. Our family has made the Ocean Walk one of our favorite Florida vacation spots, this was our second time there. We stayed 3 nights last year on our way back from Disney.

Reviewed 12 June 2010

The employees where in a hurry, get them in and get them out feeling! Our room wasn't ready, misinformed about the room. Wyndham ocean walk isn't all it's cracked up to be. Wyndham swiched our room to a Handicap room, which wasn't required, they swiched our room again, after we just unpacked everything. The room we stayed in was OK. I don't know why anyone would own it??? Not worth it. The stove didn't work right and the dishwasher was broke. The room next to our had a TERRIBLE foul smell that seeped into our room. I did see housekeeping, they tried to fan out the smell, IT DIDN"T WORK. I also asked for extra pillows and told the hotel was out of them... Also, not chairs on the balcony, again told they were out of them. (I did see a bunch of chairs all over, but Wyndham couldn't be bothered). My husband and I went on the tour, and that was a joke. Once they knew we were not happy they just wanted to get rid of us, and move onto the next, again Get them in and Get them out. So, We definitly wouldn't go back to the Wyndham Ocean Walk. I tried to speak with a few different employees, and not one helped out, they passed the buck to someone else. NOt good Wyndham, thanks for a terrible stay!!!! Glad we could vent online!!!!!

Reviewed 8 June 2010

This was our first time staying at this property and had no idea there would be no cleaning service during our stay. So, when we called to ask if we would get clean towels, we were told to wash our own. When I asked about getting extra laundry detergent, I was told if we had been members of the Wyndham "family" (whatever the heck that means) that we would get complimentary laundry soap. For the amount I paid, I simply expected better service than what I was provided. In addition, the elevators are packed, and having a son in a wheelchair, it was very hard to catch an elevator without having to wait in LONG lines. Finally, the lobby smells of a foul odor that reminds me of lingering vomit. Not appealing at all!

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Beds were rather small, had no stopper in sink,asked front desk but never got sink fixed.
Staff at front desk wasn't too friendly, time share staffers were pushy with selling timeshares. Only 4 elevators seemed constantly packed causing long waits.Great view of beach and ocean

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2010

There are good and bad about this resort but the bad win. First of all the bad. Don't think about getting a pool chair after 8-9 in the morning because it will never happen. The resort is to big for the amount of outdoor pools and avaliable chairs. The units do not have Internet inside which forces you to go to the lobby to connect to the internet. Also if you have more than one car it will need to be parked across the street for 16 dollars a day. Watch out for the beds you will need to schedule a back massage when you get home. Off the lobby their is a small store which sells snacks and it closes at 9pm after which if you want a candy bar good luck. For the good. Next door to the resort is 5-6 places to eat and a movie theater. On Friday and Saturday nights they have music next to the resort for no fee. Their is a very small water park and putt putt golf across the street and when I say small maybe 1 1/2 acres total. The Hilton next door has a GREAT steak house called PRIME.

To sum up my experience. I have not been to Daytona Beach in 10 years. It is ran down bad. Hotels have broken windows and are closed on the beach. Stores are closed and not much to do other than what is in a 2 block area from this hotel. The boardwalk is closed for remodeling till end of the year and the rides by the boardwalk are the old carnival rides that are pulled by trucks to local carnivals. I kind of felt like I was at a cheap fair ground. The strange part is that I was their the week after school got out and their was no 18-24 year olds around. Looks to me they ran off all of their party crowd and their money source went away and the town is dieing. If I were to go back I would stay next door at the HILTON.

Reviewed 6 June 2010

Checked in on the Wednesday before Memorial Day, checked out the day before Memorial Day.

Check-in was somewhat easy. Problems first arose when we got to the room. The lock on the sliding glass door was busted and the alarm clock didn't work. Took 2 hours for front desk to send up staffmember to fix lock. Alarm clock issue was found to be the fact that it was plugged into a switch-controlled outlet (why you would do this, I don't know).

Room had good amenities - a kitchenette with fridge, sink, dishwasher, and burners. One of two burners didn't work. Room had "ocean view" but only if you craned your neck while standing on balcony.

No service. At no point did any member of the housekeeping staff come to our room without us begging for such service. We asked the front desk if housekeeping service was included in our stay - and they said of course. However, two days into our stay, no one had come and made the beds or given us towels or taken out trash. When we called to ask for new towels and sheets, we were told "But you have a washing machine, so we don't provide towels." The problem was - we didn't have a washing machine. The staffmember on the phone realized her mistake: "Oh, you guys are in the hotel part, not the rental part! My apologies. Let me ask - what size bed do you have?" The fact that the staffmember did not know what size beds we had pretty much summed up the problem. Between two and three hours later, someone came by and dropped off a stack of towels and sheets.

I believe the problem is that this Whyndam oversees both the "hotel" business and the "vacation rental" business. They seem to have no feel for which patrons are staying in which type of rooms - or at least serviced my room as if we were renters.

The pool is nice, but on a busy weekend such as Memorial Day, there is zero chance of getting a chair unless you go down and "claim" it before the pool opens. Hotel pool rules specificially prohibit claiming chairs - but this is not enforced. A typical look at the pool showed 10 people in the water, 20 people on their chairs, and 100 or so chairs with nothing on them except for a towel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple