“Amazing Experience at 172MPH”

Richard Petty Driving Experience
Junior Race Car Ride-Along Program at Daytona International Speedway
Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience at 172MPH”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My wife purchased the King's package for me for my Christmas present and I had been thinking about this for 4 months! I knew I'd be going fast but didn't really know what to expect beyond that. We arrived and were directed to the infield area if the speedway. Driving through the tunnel here is sweet as you know you are going under the track. The staff is excellent! After suiting you up in a driving jumpsuit, they warm you up with a couple of short instructional videos, brief discussion about what to do and expect and a photo opportunity in the Daytona Press Room. Then out to the track. My driving assistant, Dustin was great and after I was secured in the 600+ HP NASCAR Ford Fusion, I rolled away out of Pit Road. That big banking turn is a bit intimidating at first but after a few laps I was feeling more comfortable. 8 laps and then a brief pit stop to check the car and then back out for 8 more laps. This time it only took me 1 lap to get back up to top speed! I wanted more but the pedal would not go any further! My final Top Speed: 172.59. I was in a bit of a daze after my experience but have now accomplished something I always wanted to do! Thank you Richard Petty for giving people this amazing ride and thank you staff for an unbelievable time! I WILL be back!

3 Thank Kipkay

Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The most fun you can have with your clothes on”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

This by far is the most fun I've ever had, period! All of the staff were knowledgable and very helpful from the people selling the tickets down to the crew chief and my driving instructor Mark. After a warm up lap my first lap I was already doing 155+mph and by the end of my session up to 169mph. I was slowed down on a couple laps from passing slower cars so I even got an extra lap! They then offered a great deal on another 8 laps so as soon as I returned to pit road I was back out again. I can't wait to try this at another track or even Daytona again. My last lap of the day was a 56.43 and the fastest. I would recommend this to anyone, it was a blast.

2 Thank ElementJo
Sarasota, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“The REAL DEAL at 167 MPH!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My wife purchased my son and me the Richard Petty Driving Experience for a Christmas gift and on March 22, we finally got our chance to go to Daytona National Speedway for our rides. We made our ‘ride’ appointments way in advance and scheduled them for 12 noon. We arrived at the track a little early and made it to the RPDE area for our scheduled instruction class at 11:40pm. They checked us in, collected our paperwork, checked ID and issued us fire suits. At noon, we were given about 45 minutes of driving instruction and viewed a training and safety video. By 1pm, we were on our way to the track for our rides. I must admit I was a little anxious about this whole experience.

I must say that the entire staff and crew at the track that worked with us drivers could not have been better. They were all very professional and first and foremost were concerned for everyone's safety. They fitted me for a helmet and installed a HANS device, then I was ready to go. Lucky me, I was the first driver called to drive the #43 Dodge charger. They assisted me into the car thru the window, strapped me in and the instructor went over all the important points for safe driving. He started the car and off we went. They cars were all clean, well-tuned and ran very smoothly around the track. When you’re driving, you don’t know how fast you’re going, since there is no speedo, but it seemed bloody fast! The 8 laps go by very quickly and before I knew it it was over. IT WAS AN UNBELIEVABLE EXPERIENCE!!! If you have a need for speed, and this is on your bucket list, this is a MUST DO!

Many thanks to my instructor, the crew and the entire staff that made my Richard Petty Driving Experience, from beginning to end, a huge success. I had never driven a race car like this before and I’m not sure if I will ever get a chance to do it again, but although it was expensive, I feel it was well worth the cost. I highly recommend this attraction when in Daytona, for both men and women of all ages! If you don’t care to drive, they also offer a 3-lap ‘ride-along’, with a professional driver for a much lesser cost. Check their web site for complete details.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank juddann
Rochester, Minnesota
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“My husband is a happy camper!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Absolutely a dream come true! Major Bucket list check . . . and he wants to do it AGAIN!!! and AGAIN!!! 6 laps would have been better . . . but the 3 will keep him on an Adrenaline high for months. Even at $59.00 - you must get the video - shows the driver and the track. I'm sure we will be back with other guests . . . . I have never seen my husband so excited about doing an "event". Depending on the time, it takes about an hour to get through the "system" for the 3 lap ride . . but well worth every minute!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank Gwen G
Vancleave, Mississippi
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good but technical problems and not compensated”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

So let me give you a background. I have always wanted a 911. I went to Junior High School down the street from the Porsche dealership in Bossier City, LA and we would walk to the dealership on football game days (wasting time after school) and I'd drool over the car. So when I called to book and found out it was the cheapest, it was fine with me...it was the car that I wanted.

Now the cars are getting used daily and hard. Don't expect a showroom car. That being said, I wasn't there to scrutinize the condition of the leather seats, I was there to drive the hell out of the 911 so I was fine with that. The instructional course is more of a "how to handle the course" class. It tells you things like 1) keep your hands a 3 and 9 2) don't look at your speed (we blocked the speedo anyway) 3) where to turn and when 4) where to brake and when. They also tell you how to handle situations where some grandpa is in front of you doing 15mph and you need to pass. The solution: pass on a strip that bypasses the actual course. Huh? Because I am here to race and this grandpa is here to Sunday stroll in a Lambo, I have to skip the course to get around him?

So THREE times I came up on somebody and had to pass. The guy says, "Sorry about this, I'll give you a few more laps". I said "It's alright. No problem". So he tells me to pull off like normal and I'm thinking "Was that really 7-8 laps? No way." It wasn't, he never gave me the extra laps but I didn't complain I just went inside to get my videos and printouts/times. I get inside and I'm watching the girl fumble with my video and my wife says "is there a problem?" Long story short...yes there was, the video completely crapped out and skipped and jumped through the whole thing. It was so messed up that the data sheets wouldn't even come out right. You are supposed to leave there with all the video and a printout showing how you did on all five laps. I skipped three of the laps and didn't even get to do it over and then didn't get my video or printouts.

They made no attempted to actually compensate me for either of the missed laps or the missing data AFTER the whole missed laps. Just handed me a stack of papers with jumbled information and said "Thanks, come again".

I realize that most people's experiences are probably pretty nice but this is like any other company and they have problems and they should know how to handle the problems. I paid for myself to race which was about $180 and then paid for both of my boys to do the NASCAR ridealong thing which was another $130. I kinda expected a little better.

Visited February 2014