“Worst hotel I've ever been in!!”
Review of Mayan Inn

Mayan Inn
Ranked #54 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The Mayan Inn is hands down the worst hotel I have ever been in! Let me start by saying I was not expecting any sort of luxury hotel here but I was expecting something at least up to par with a Days Inn.I booked our room for a long weekend trip on a popular travel site. The pictures that are posted online look decent enough and at the time the rates were pretty average for Daytona during a holiday weekend. When we arrived the hotel is not only directly next to a busy/trashy bar. We arrived very late and there were loud drunks all around the area. The hotel has a "security officer" that patrols the parking lot at night; this man, while nice enough, wasn't even dressed in a uniform nor did he introduce himself to us so he seemed like any other stranger. When we checked in the lobby was only a hint of things to come. It smelled awful and the man working the desk was unprofessional. The elevator to our room was disgusting! There were smears all over the mirrored walls and it smelled worse than the lobby. The smell followed us to our room. The floor, tables, and bed spreads were all sticky. The room itself was terrible! There was a PVC pipe running along the roof of our room and both doors hardly closed. Everything in the room looked dirty. In addition to the filth, you could hear every drunk that was in the bar next door from our room. I did not have exceptional standards for this place but the reality of it was terrible. We quickly decided to leave. The receptionist gave me a hard time about getting a refund, saying since we checked in late in the night that he couldn't refund all of my money since we were technically there for a whole night even though we were in the room 10 minutes at the most. Then he told me I would have to return Monday after a manger returned to see if they would possible give me a refund of any kind but that he was not authorized to do so. After about 40 minutes of arguing he finally refunded my money completely despite telling me several lies about not being able to do so. He even told me that he "didn't know himself how long we were there" so he could not rightfully refund us for the night even though he had been the one to check us in! At this point the "security guard" came in gave him a hard time about it. I hope this establishment has since improved but I would never dare return. The ONLY good quality to this hotel is that it is right on the beach.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is to stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Michelle H

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Pros: walking distance to the boardwalk and restaurants
That's it.

Cons:
Dirty rooms and bathrooms
LOUD music plays ALL night long from the bar right next door
You listen to terrible "DJs" scream profanity all night, too.
Shower didn't work
Dirty sheets with stains
The view would have been nice, but the windows were so nasty and dirty you couldn't even see the ocean through them.
We got a room on the 8th floor, when we first arrived the door wouldn't completely open. We went down to the front desk and she sent a worker up because we thought the latch was shut. Nope. The giant worker threw himself into the door and it opened. That's how we got in our room the rest of the night.
Rooms were extremely old and outdated (outdated is an understatement).
I was charged 98 bucks for a Saturday night and I wish I would have just gone home.
Oh and in no way does the hotel warn you about the music next door. AT ALL..so beware. I was only here a night and thought it wouldn't be so bad. It's worth spending a little more money somewhere else.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Amanda S
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It's all about location! Bars & restaurants within easy walking distance, plus a happening bar next door. Perfect location! Hotel outdated but clean & staff very friendly. Also, nice to have a balcony. We're only in the room to sleep, so hotel was fine for us. This was our 2nd visit, will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Hotel dirty. Noise level from motorcycles at the bar next door to the loud noise from the bar at night, keeps you awake all night. Staff refused to even try to do anything about the noise. Elevators are slow and dirty. Never again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Like the once great Mayan civilization, this once great hotel appears to be ready for extinction as well. This place is beat. The hot water still works, so do the elevators. But I felt like I was in a third world country.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Yikes. From the pictures and the mixed reviews on Tripadvisor we thought we would take a chance. The rates are very reasonable Sun-Wed then go sky high from Thur-Sat. The staff were very nice and that is hte only good thing I can say about the place that and there is a great ocean view. The room was so small, I am a small person and could barely fit in the bathroom. The electrical switch plates were falling off, the toilet fixture was loose; the freezer did not work, the beds were saggy but ended up being more comfortable then they looked. TV was old. The bathtub had a big ugly patch on the bottom. You just felt icky there. Breakfast was a total wipeout for us. Cereal packets, no microwave, individual wrapped muffins, milk, watered down juice - no fruit, there was coffee and hot water.
This was a spring break type of place where kids would go to party and not care about accommodations. There was a very popular restaurant next door with live music on the beach until late, parking was hard because of all the traffic into the restaurant and the noise was bad AND then the trash trucks came at 6:00 a.m. and were very loud!

Room Tip: Get an east facing room if you want less noise and better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shirley B
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed there for 2 days and if you are interested in sleeping this will not be a place for you! We were on the top (8th) floor and the music and noise from the club next door kept us awake until after 3 am on the first day and about 2 am the next! Naturally they do not disclose that anywhere. Room was ok but balcony was kind of scary with junks missing at some places and day 2 the door would not open anymore. Good we did get stuck trying to get back in the room, luckily it happened while trying to step out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple