“Worst hotel EVER”

Ranked #52 of 72 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Miami, Florida
“Worst hotel EVER”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have stayed at the Mayan hotel for two and a half days and two nights. First room had a farm load of cockroaches even on the bed! Beds smelled musty and uncomfortably hard. We had to switch rooms although that was not a solution. Still cockroaches and horribly beds. One of them was slanted and I constantly woke up with half my body off the bed. The elevators make you feel so unsafe and the breakfast? So much for cantina!! cold bread and cereal. Bathrooms don't have locks and it's not even a bathroom. The toilet and tub were in one little cramped up room. The light switch was outside. Horrible. Their pictures are so fake and a bunch of lies. We demanded a refund and the front desk said "we have never encountered this problem" yet all our family friends (5 groups) have left and demanded a refund for that reason.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Adrianazam
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience with us. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Pest control is very important in our business but situations can still arise at any point given the high level of traffic in and out of the building. We utilize a very reputable company to eliminate and prevent pests from infiltrating our establishment, but it is never a guarantee that their efforts will stop any and all occurrences. This holds true for any hotel. Having that many issues at one time is not typical, and was addressed by our service provider immediately after being reported. Our breakfast is a light continental breakfast consisting of 5 varieties of cereal, 3 varieties of muffins, white or wheat toast with 3 varieties of Jam/Jelly, juice, coffee, and self serve packets of grits or oatmeal. I apologize for the misunderstanding as to what we offer. We are an older property and do our very best to provide the highest level of customer service possible to ensure that you enjoy your stay. I am sorry to hear we were unable to provide you with the experience you had expected. We appreciate your business very much, thank you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 9 April 2014

It's an older place, but we were told that. It was reasonably clean. First night the band next door started at 10 PM and continued till 2 AM (they actually offered us ear plugs at the check in). Thin walls, as after the band finally stopped then it was youngsters in the room next door having a puking contest. The next day I went out on the balcony, and nearly was overwhelmed with the marijuana smoke, coming from multiple rooms. Second night was more of the same, loud karaoke late in the day, band at night. Parking is inadequate and haphazard. You have to pay a $19 resort fee on top of the price, when I asked what it was for, it was for parking and breakfast. Breakfast was a total joke, some bread with a toaster, some juice and some cereal. Feral cats running all about. Elevators reek of vomit and marijuana. I have stayed in hotels around the world, many in third world countries. This place was the worst of all I have ever been to. I could not in good conscious recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Robert F

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I recently visited the Mayan inn with my 2 friends. It was spring break time but we had not specifically gone there for spring break. On arrival we each had to pay a deposit of 100 dollars and we we're spoke to like children! Our room was clean enough but half of the door to the balcony was missing! This meant that on the night we arrived after a 10 hour drive we were kept awake all night by the EXTREMELY loud music from the ocean deck next door that stayed open well into the night. And again at 6 am each day by the garbage trucks emptying the clubs bottles! Other points; The pool gets very little sun as the hotel over shadows it and we had no furniture on our balcony...then when we requested it they sent us a dirty table and chairs! Now obviously I didn't expect much from what we paid for it but I'd definitely never stay here again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Megan H
Theresa D, General Manager at Mayan Inn, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. Spring Break is a very busy time for us and I apologize if our policy regarding security deposits was not expressed to you at the time of booking. Whether you are traveling to us for Spring Break or just for a get away professionalism is always expected from any of our team members and I am sorry that you did not experience that upon your arrival. The bar/restaurant next door to us offers spring break concerts and DJ's which I can understand gets very loud at times for our guests. We have tried to work with them on making the events both enjoyable for their patrons and still respectful of ours and I am hoping to be able to resolve this issue for the future comfort of our guests.
Warner Robins, Georgia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The Mayan Inn is hands down the worst hotel I have ever been in! Let me start by saying I was not expecting any sort of luxury hotel here but I was expecting something at least up to par with a Days Inn.I booked our room for a long weekend trip on a popular travel site. The pictures that are posted online look decent enough and at the time the rates were pretty average for Daytona during a holiday weekend. When we arrived the hotel is not only directly next to a busy/trashy bar. We arrived very late and there were loud drunks all around the area. The hotel has a "security officer" that patrols the parking lot at night; this man, while nice enough, wasn't even dressed in a uniform nor did he introduce himself to us so he seemed like any other stranger. When we checked in the lobby was only a hint of things to come. It smelled awful and the man working the desk was unprofessional. The elevator to our room was disgusting! There were smears all over the mirrored walls and it smelled worse than the lobby. The smell followed us to our room. The floor, tables, and bed spreads were all sticky. The room itself was terrible! There was a PVC pipe running along the roof of our room and both doors hardly closed. Everything in the room looked dirty. In addition to the filth, you could hear every drunk that was in the bar next door from our room. I did not have exceptional standards for this place but the reality of it was terrible. We quickly decided to leave. The receptionist gave me a hard time about getting a refund, saying since we checked in late in the night that he couldn't refund all of my money since we were technically there for a whole night even though we were in the room 10 minutes at the most. Then he told me I would have to return Monday after a manger returned to see if they would possible give me a refund of any kind but that he was not authorized to do so. After about 40 minutes of arguing he finally refunded my money completely despite telling me several lies about not being able to do so. He even told me that he "didn't know himself how long we were there" so he could not rightfully refund us for the night even though he had been the one to check us in! At this point the "security guard" came in gave him a hard time about it. I hope this establishment has since improved but I would never dare return. The ONLY good quality to this hotel is that it is right on the beach.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is to stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Michelle H
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Pros: walking distance to the boardwalk and restaurants
That's it.

Cons:
Dirty rooms and bathrooms
LOUD music plays ALL night long from the bar right next door
You listen to terrible "DJs" scream profanity all night, too.
Shower didn't work
Dirty sheets with stains
The view would have been nice, but the windows were so nasty and dirty you couldn't even see the ocean through them.
We got a room on the 8th floor, when we first arrived the door wouldn't completely open. We went down to the front desk and she sent a worker up because we thought the latch was shut. Nope. The giant worker threw himself into the door and it opened. That's how we got in our room the rest of the night.
Rooms were extremely old and outdated (outdated is an understatement).
I was charged 98 bucks for a Saturday night and I wish I would have just gone home.
Oh and in no way does the hotel warn you about the music next door. AT ALL..so beware. I was only here a night and thought it wouldn't be so bad. It's worth spending a little more money somewhere else.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda S
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It's all about location! Bars & restaurants within easy walking distance, plus a happening bar next door. Perfect location! Hotel outdated but clean & staff very friendly. Also, nice to have a balcony. We're only in the room to sleep, so hotel was fine for us. This was our 2nd visit, will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Hotel dirty. Noise level from motorcycles at the bar next door to the loud noise from the bar at night, keeps you awake all night. Staff refused to even try to do anything about the noise. Elevators are slow and dirty. Never again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business