“Won't make that mistake again”

La Playa Resorts & Suites
Ranked #52 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Guess I got what I paid for. Room had a funny smell to it, floors in room and bathroom were filthy, door to porch was off track and would not stay in track, door to room had been kicked or forced open so many times it had sheet metal with dry wall screws in it, had to lift and push door shut, door had to be lifted and yanked open. LOUD when I was there, place was full of kids from a church re-treat. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 611Chuck67

Reviewed 22 August 2011

My boyfriend and I made reservations for our first vacation together. We searched the web for a reasonably priced hotel in the Daytona Beach Area. We came across the La Playa. The price seemed reasonable, it had all the amenities (or so we thought) we were looking for and had a few good write-ups. To our dismay when we arrived, the lobby smelled, there was garbage in the outdoor hallway to our balcony room. The flooring on our floor near the elevator was spongie soft as if we were going to fall through. The room was small and had an moldy odor to it as well. The balcony was tiny and could barely fit two upright chairs on it as well as the cement barrier on the sides were chipping paint. The tiki bar was completely closed down. When we went in search of the Exercise Facilities that were advertised, we had to walk through the indoor pool room which seemed like it was a 100 degrees in there and bacteria infested to a room with no exercise equipment and a ceiling that was falling down. In addition to the police having to be called to the hotel because of a drunken disorderly guest of which the wife called the front desk to call the police. Definately not a quality hotel and we quickly began search for another hotel and checked out the very same night. The only positive note was the Front Desk Manager, Kristen who dealt with many issues, along with ours at once with professionalism and grace.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoAnne V
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We were very disappointed with our room, it was dirty and the balcony door did not lock. The toilet did not flush, We asked for a new room and was given a key for a room that was already occupied (don't think he was happy that we tried to get in), then moved to a room where the AC did not work, The 4th room we were moved to was still dirty, but everything seemed to work. The girl at the desk was rude and said they have know way of knowing there are problems with the room, I would think that the hotel management would have every room clean and in working order, but not the case here. This place is in great location and with some renovations (like tile and not filthy green carpets), an decent staff this could be a good place, but right now it sucks. This is my first night her and I can not sleep because it is so uncomfortable it's 2:00am!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Floridalocal2
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Just wanted to take a moment to thank the staff at LaPlaya for a wonderful time this past Monday and Tuesday! My friend was visiting from PA so I took her over to the beach for a couple days! The hotel was wonderful and we loved the staff! We found a great corner on the pool deck and parked ourselves there for the day! I must say, our favorite part of the whole couple of days was Kara at the pool bar! She's fantastic and her drinks are amazing! Thanks so much for a wonderful time!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingFloridianPc
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed at the LaPlaya Resort for our anniversary.
If you just want a place to lay your head down at night this is the place for you. Our room was beach front so that was a plus. We didn't have any problems during our stay we just probably won't be back until they update it.
The bathrooms, carpets, elevators and doors need updating badly. Stay away from the restaurant on site. It has very bad food they cover up by using so much salt on. We only ate breakfast there one day and believe me it was enough. There is a Denny's down the road so I would go there if I were you.
The comedy club was a definite plus to having a room there. We had a blast there. The Tiki Bar was very good and the people at the whole hotel were very very nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cootnbear
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I live local and often will spend a few days beachside...this was my first time at LaPlaya but will not be the last. After years at another resort further south in Daytona Beach we gave it a try and I am so glad we did. The rooms were very clean. The staff was absolutely the BEST I have encountered at ANY resort all over the world. John at the front desk was PHENOMINAL! THe pool area has plenty of chairs and quite a few tables with umbrellas. THe Tiki Bar was reasonably priced and the staff was great. Just a few steps away... the beach and it is part of the "drive on" beach BUT the traffic in this particular area is not as heavy as it is further south on the beach.
THis is not a 5 star resort....but if you are looking for a clean place, reasonably priced with attentive staff then this is a perfect choice.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with 01-06 are on the South end of the building and away from the pool so quieter
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great review of your stay here at the La Playa Resort. I am happy that you gave us a chance to accommodate you. I am pleased to hear that you will be staying with us again in the near future. Thank you for such kind remarks about the staff, especially the one about John.

You are right! One of our biggest draws is our pool deck and tiki bar area. I can not think of anything better than a weekend getaway on the beach with music and a beverage… Be sure to check out our Bonkerz Comedy Club next time you stay with us. It’s a blast!!!

Team LaPlaya

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Hotel was great. It was right on the beach and had a great pool deck with a tiki bar. Chrissie was an awesome bartender and very helpful while looking for local attractions. I enjoyed the location of the hotel but it is a good three miles to the boardwalk. However the walk was shortened with one of Chrissie's awesome drinks in hand. Recommend the Vodka cup!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am happy you enjoyed our pool deck and tiki bar. I will be sure to share this review with Chrissie and the rest of the staff. Have a great weekend. Come see us again soon.

Team LaPlaya

#33 of 73 in Daytona Beach
Cove Motel Oceanfront
Cove Motel Oceanfront
#29 of 73 in Daytona Beach

Been to La Playa Resorts & Suites? Share your experiences!