“Oh, where to begin...”

La Playa Resorts & Suites
Ranked #56 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Let me first start by saying that it is very rare that I do not write an outstanding review for anywhere I visit. I actually went back and forth on whether to review this hotel at all but then I thought I would've appreciated knowing before my stay here, so here it goes...

I actually gave them a 3 not because that is where I think they are now, but because I see the potential. This hotel is in a great location. The staff is very friendly and I believe they are doing their very best with what they have. That being said, this hotel is under extreme renovations, and I think would be a lot better off being closed during them. They said that the website warns you of these renovations but unfortunately for me, I booked my reservations through a 3rd party website, so we had no idea what we were getting into...

I know check-in time isn't until 4pm but I have never once had a problem anywhere checking in before then at any other hotel. I've checked in as early as 9am at some hotels, and bed and breakfasts that only have one specific room to put me in have let me in a few hours early. So, when we arrived at 2pm I was quite surprised that our room wasn't ready. We requested to have a room with a King bed, so because we were making a special request, I accepted this. Well, unfortunately for us, it wasn't as simple as let's go take a nice stroll on the beach while we wait because the weather was really nasty while we were there... It was about 50 degrees and raining. So, being optimistic, we decided to just wait in the hotel lobby, thinking they would have a room ready for us shortly. Well, around 3:40 (so over an hour and a half of waiting) a woman from the front desk approached us. She told us that the rooms with the King size beds didn't have usable balconies and at that time offered us a room with two double beds. She also told us she could put us into a smoking room with a King size bed that was ready. Well, my husband has terrible allergies, so after waiting an hour and a half we agreed to the two double beds. The room was nice enough. However, as we left to go to dinner, we found that after locking the door the door could simply be pushed open from the outside. So, we went back downstairs to ask for a safer room. At this point I should mention that I am also pregnant. So, we walked downstairs with all of our stuff. They put us in a King room this time, back up on the 9th floor, so we were actually happier with that choice. But when we arrived at this new room we realized it was a smoking room and it smelled absolutely awful- my husband's allergies would've made him absolutely miserable for the evening. So, back down to the first floor we go. They finally put us a few rooms down from our original room. The woman at the front desk did offer us tickets to their comedy show they were having that night, but they had a two drink minimum and I'm pregnant so we decided to skip.

I am confident that if I were to return to this hotel in a year or two I would be highly satisfied with my stay. But again, they were in the middle of major (and much needed) renovations. The rooms were clean but the building just doesn't seem very safe, especially considering the second part of the building was completely gutted. I had nightmares of the building collapsing all evening....

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessicaToy1011
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear JessicaToy,

I first would like to thank you for your honest comments and where you see the La Playa Resort once all of our renovations are complete. The property has so much potential and we are happy that you see all the good that will come out of it. I appreciate the great comment about the staff. We had a long year and see the light at the end of the tunnel. The staff has done an amazing job to date while the renovations have been going on. I do apologize for the booking error and maintenance issue you had in your guest room during your stay. if you can please send me an email with your confirmation number, I will follow up and make sure all items have been corrected. (gm.laplaya@gmail.com) We do the best to inform all of your guests of the current state and ongoing renovations at the property. I am sorry that there was confusion of this advisement. I hope you will again stay with us in the near future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when booking your next getaway.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The location was excellent. The beach view outside our room was great. It is being refurbished but our room was clean and we had access to the balcony. The price was good. I slept good which is very important.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear SouthFloridaFamily1,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy you were able to make your own review about your experience here at the La Playa Resort. We have been going through some recent renovations which can cause inconvenience, and appreciate you seeing past them. Hope to see you all again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to call me direct to book your next stay.

DanM

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Had a wonderful stay at La Playa for one week in January. It's an older property, but it was extremely clean with no mold or mildew smells. Our timing was bad for using the beach or pool, but the beachfront location is beautiful. It's right across the street from a shopping plaza with a Publix, a Bealls department store, a Walgreen's, several restaurants, etc. and lots more restaurants within a block. We did not get a room with a kitchen but we still had a mini-fridge, a sink and microwave. Very good deal for the price for a beachfront hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Beach_08,

Thank for taking the time and leaving us a review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I do apologize for not having pool deck and or beach access during your visit due to the renovations. Please call me direct at 800-224-5052 to book your next Daytona Beach reservation and please mention this review. I would love to get you back to the property where full resort access is available.

Regards,
DanM

Reviewed 22 January 2014

You can not find a better location for attending the Turkey Rod Run in November
It was cold so the pool being closed was not a problem. Hotel was clean and in the middle of renovation... and the staff was friendly

Room Tip: book rooms in the upper floors to avoid the car noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steven H
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Steven,

Thank you for being part of Turkey Rod Run 2013! I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your time during the annual event. We hope to see you again in 2014. We have seen numerous booked reservations for next year, please call me direct to book your next stay with us.
Great tip by the way!

Thanks for taking time and leaving us a review.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel, not resort, is under reconstruction as well as the property next door to it.. the amenities are not available, the staff is indifferent, some person was issued a key to my room who was not in my party... stay away from this place!!!! Can't wait to get to the real resort in the morning. Had to give it one point but would love to have given it 0.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Billy,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review. I am sorry to hear about the concerns / issues you encountered during your stay with us last week. I was glad to be able to speak to your wife prior to your departure. I have addressed the issues given to me and corrective action was taken. The La Playa Resort is a great property with awesome staff. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectation during this period of renovation. Please stop back bye next time you are in town from up north and give us a second look.

Have a great day.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stopped here after seeing special on hotel website. Place is under renovation (though you don't know this until entering lobby). Pool closed, balconies closed (apparently unsafe). Checked into first room which had no heating (rare winter cold spell in Florida) and dirty. Got moved to new room. First bad sign that door would not close...entered to find dirty "new" room and bad television reception. Never could get door to close (and this was an outside entrance so anyone could just literally walk in). Lack of security and fact that building under heavy renovation resulted in our calling hotel website to arrange for a refund. Management came to look at door that would not close, didn't seem too concerned and tried to get us to try a third room. Ended up at great place just down the beach.....

Room Tip: Unsecure and unsafe place at present time. Would go just about anywhere else.....
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy H

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your feedback. The La Playa Resort is under balcony renovations. Being a beach property, the resort has some wear and tear when it comes to the exterior and we have taken measures in repairs. Please feel free to call me direct to discuss the issues you faced so I can address accordingly to the appropriate department. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Dan

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I stated here for 4 nights in August and although yes as stated in every other post renos were being done parking selection sucked WiFi kicked out and the rooms could use some updating. But really for the price you pay and the view you get these things could be over looked. Over all if you would like the ritz than go pay 3x the price. I don't go on vacation to sit in my room, I go to enjoy the beach and surrounding areas.

• Stayed: August 2013
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Love_florida6,

Happy Holidays!!! Thank you for taking your time to post a review of your recent visit to the La Playa Resort this past August. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the great views from our oceanfront rooms. We look forward to seeing you again. Please call me direct when booking your next Daytona Beach stay 800-244-5052. Please like us on Facebook.com

Dan