“Comparison between La Play and Days Inn guess who wins” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Playa Resorts & Suites

La Playa Resorts & Suites
Ranked #81 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Fort Worth, Texas
“Comparison between La Play and Days Inn guess who wins”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at both between 02/26/2014 and 03/05/2014 and was shocked at several key areas. True La Playa is being refurbished but the problems there is unbelievable.

La Playa Score 2
Beautiful decorated towels await you. Believe it or not the first thing I pulled was a washrag from the bundle and someone had used it with clotted blood on two inches of corner then put it neatly back into the bundle. No two ways about it, it hadn't been washed.
Snot rag was placed behind the fire exit sign on door. The carpet was sandy when I got there.
Days Inn at I95 and hwy 1 Score 10
They kept up with all areas and was surprisingly clean.

Sound
La Playa Score 3
Even though I was on the 8th floor you could hear traffic as if it was a first floor with door open. Hey it's spring break but when you can hear kids on the fourth floor there is a problem. You can see daylight all around the door.
Days Inn Score 9
It's unbelievable that a hotel next to two highways and a railroad track within 200 yards can be quieter than a hotel near the beach but it's true. I would never had known about the railroad if I hadn't heard a train when I first got out of the car.

Safety
La Playa Score 2
I was shocked because the sliding glass doors should have been locked from the outside since the balcony rails had been taken down for refurbishment. Not only did I open my sliding glass doors but I heard several others around me sliding theirs. Lets face it college kids get drunk and while there I heard three fights from my room. So think about those same drunk kids sliding those glass doors and stepping out at night to get a breath of fresh air and falling. Their is going to be a law suit out of it I'm betting.
Days Inn Score 8
I noticed someone walking around at all hours there that worked for them. I'd trust them more than La Playa any day. The only reason I gave them an 8 and not higher is I didn't stand outside all night.

Room Tip: Ask them for fresh towels and don't touch the decorated towels they can be nasty. If you want a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

The room was a mess. The outside of the hotel looked like a run down crack house, not even a nice crack house. We couldn't see out the window because they were extremely dirty. The hotel has been undergoing maintenance for the past 4 plus months, so many of the rooms don't have a balcony. Literally we had half of a balcony. Service was awful. They changed their policy about the security deposit without letting us know. The hotel's management is a bunch of crooks and thieves.

• Stayed March 2014

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We literally checked in and checked out within 10 minutes. The mattress was stained with either blood or fecal matter, door was barely closable, room stunk of mildew, kitchen "suite" was more like a hostile apartment I would be afraid to even use in fear if catching a disease, couch stained, mildew around every window . Pure hell . Many photos taken and available . Don't trust when they say they are under "renovation" totally untrue. Complete dive . We were given comple refund by Amex .

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank 4nickynoodles
Daytona Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Worst hotel i've ever stayed at! Walk in, first off my room wasn't clean but okay i'll wait. Lobby is okay much nicer than the rest of the hotel. I got an oceanfront room with a balcony.. okay first off i'm not sure why anything like this would be on any beach. The kitchette promised was some rinky dink microwave and fridge, I actually planned on cooking a nice meal that evening. The balcony was very short so no privacy. The staff hangs around smoking and laughing as if they are the ones on vacation. The bed had stains, red and blacks ones I'm assuming from blood and decades of dirt. I asked for a blanket because the bed only came with yellow sheets, the never came. At least bring a blanket, Daytona gets chilly. Just don't stay I saw renovations being done but i'm sure they'll jack up the price so just go somewhere else

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank redtraveler2014
Mosinee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at La Playa for 4 nights. Woke up every am to construction workers drilling and pounding. The kitchenette is VERY out of date. The beds are hard and very uncomfortable. Do not go by the pictures on the website. This hotel looks nothing like it. Very out of date and dingy. Unheated pool temp was 52 degrees. Not a family friendly hotel. The only good thing is the ocean view and location. $110-120/ night. NOT worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kandise S
Casselberry, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed here last year and ask though it is clearly not a 5 star place it was acceptable. This year was a whole different story. They didn't have the room we booked so they offered a king bed option. We had booked a dbl suite w ocean front. When we got to the room the dust on the balcony windows were about an inch thick. The door was fixed so it didn't open to the balcony when we cleaned off enough dirt to see out the window we understood why. The whole balcony was torn off, only a plywood deck, no railing of any kind, we were on the 6th floor.
The whole reason we booked here was to be able to watch the Jetski event from the balcony. The front desk was understanding when I called to complain but told me they didn't have any other rooms to put us in. Since we booked trough Expedia they said I had to call them to try to find some where else to go for the night. Our friend who stayed here did have a working balcony but had no heat, it was in the 50's this weekend so no heat was a problem. The indoor pool was closed and piled high with old carpet and construction materials. The outside pool and deck, bar and shuffle board were also closed due to all the construction. The front desk actually had the nerve to charge a $9.95 "Resort" fee Per night. I'm not sure what for, first off this is NO resort and secondly NONE of the amenities were usable. We had to go to the next door hotel to even access the beach. Expedia found us a really nice place to move to for the 2 nights we were in town. We came back to use or friends room for the day to watch the Jetski event, but again the no heat thing was an issue, maintenance finally had the whole unit replaced after about 3 hrs. Any way, this place was a JOKE for the $120.00 price they were charging. Until all this construction gets finished and rooms remodeled this place isn't worth $20.00 a night. Oh almost forgot to mention that the doors all looked like some one tried to break them down, popcorn ceiling was coming down in several paces as well … stay away from this place unless you make sure it is finished being worked on. I have photos but can't seem to get them to attach to review. Sorry

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Tamarac, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Let me first start by saying that it is very rare that I do not write an outstanding review for anywhere I visit. I actually went back and forth on whether to review this hotel at all but then I thought I would've appreciated knowing before my stay here, so here it goes...

I actually gave them a 3 not because that is where I think they are now, but because I see the potential. This hotel is in a great location. The staff is very friendly and I believe they are doing their very best with what they have. That being said, this hotel is under extreme renovations, and I think would be a lot better off being closed during them. They said that the website warns you of these renovations but unfortunately for me, I booked my reservations through a 3rd party website, so we had no idea what we were getting into...

I know check-in time isn't until 4pm but I have never once had a problem anywhere checking in before then at any other hotel. I've checked in as early as 9am at some hotels, and bed and breakfasts that only have one specific room to put me in have let me in a few hours early. So, when we arrived at 2pm I was quite surprised that our room wasn't ready. We requested to have a room with a King bed, so because we were making a special request, I accepted this. Well, unfortunately for us, it wasn't as simple as let's go take a nice stroll on the beach while we wait because the weather was really nasty while we were there... It was about 50 degrees and raining. So, being optimistic, we decided to just wait in the hotel lobby, thinking they would have a room ready for us shortly. Well, around 3:40 (so over an hour and a half of waiting) a woman from the front desk approached us. She told us that the rooms with the King size beds didn't have usable balconies and at that time offered us a room with two double beds. She also told us she could put us into a smoking room with a King size bed that was ready. Well, my husband has terrible allergies, so after waiting an hour and a half we agreed to the two double beds. The room was nice enough. However, as we left to go to dinner, we found that after locking the door the door could simply be pushed open from the outside. So, we went back downstairs to ask for a safer room. At this point I should mention that I am also pregnant. So, we walked downstairs with all of our stuff. They put us in a King room this time, back up on the 9th floor, so we were actually happier with that choice. But when we arrived at this new room we realized it was a smoking room and it smelled absolutely awful- my husband's allergies would've made him absolutely miserable for the evening. So, back down to the first floor we go. They finally put us a few rooms down from our original room. The woman at the front desk did offer us tickets to their comedy show they were having that night, but they had a two drink minimum and I'm pregnant so we decided to skip.

I am confident that if I were to return to this hotel in a year or two I would be highly satisfied with my stay. But again, they were in the middle of major (and much needed) renovations. The rooms were clean but the building just doesn't seem very safe, especially considering the second part of the building was completely gutted. I had nightmares of the building collapsing all evening....

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessicaToy1011
GeneralManager36, General Manager at La Playa Resorts & Suites, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear JessicaToy,

I first would like to thank you for your honest comments and where you see the La Playa Resort once all of our renovations are complete. The property has so much potential and we are happy that you see all the good that will come out of it. I appreciate the great comment about the staff. We had a long year and see the light at the end of the tunnel. The staff has done an amazing job to date while the renovations have been going on. I do apologize for the booking error and maintenance issue you had in your guest room during your stay. if you can please send me an email with your confirmation number, I will follow up and make sure all items have been corrected. (gm.laplaya@gmail.com) We do the best to inform all of your guests of the current state and ongoing renovations at the property. I am sorry that there was confusion of this advisement. I hope you will again stay with us in the near future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly when booking your next getaway.

Dan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Daytona Beach Resort and Confere...
#17 of 102 in Daytona Beach
Daytona Inn Beach Resort
Daytona Inn Beach Resort
#73 of 102 in Daytona Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Daytona Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Dayto...
#20 of 102 in Daytona Beach

Been to La Playa Resorts & Suites? Share your experiences!