“Surprised”

Ranked #81 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Lecanto, Florida, United States
“Surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was very skeptical about staying there.We were there for the first weekend of bike week and the place was packed with other bikers and spring breakers. The room was clean and the towel arrangement on the bed was nice and clean.The towels were a little small and flimsy but they served their purpose. We were able to access the balcony and had a decent view of the beach. The only real problem was the noise. The rooms are not very sound proof. We were on the 9th floor and the noise from the traffic (motorcycles mostly) sounded like they were right outside our door. Everyone who worked there was very nice and helpful. It is undergoing a major refurbishment and will be a nice place once they are finished.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed at both between 02/26/2014 and 03/05/2014 and was shocked at several key areas. True La Playa is being refurbished but the problems there is unbelievable.

Cleanliness
La Playa Score 2
Beautiful decorated towels await you. Believe it or not the first thing I pulled was a washrag from the bundle and someone had used it with clotted blood on two inches of corner then put it neatly back into the bundle. No two ways about it, it hadn't been washed.
Snot rag was placed behind the fire exit sign on door. The carpet was sandy when I got there.
Days Inn at I95 and hwy 1 Score 10
They kept up with all areas and was surprisingly clean.

Sound
La Playa Score 3
Even though I was on the 8th floor you could hear traffic as if it was a first floor with door open. Hey it's spring break but when you can hear kids on the fourth floor there is a problem. You can see daylight all around the door.
Days Inn Score 9
It's unbelievable that a hotel next to two highways and a railroad track within 200 yards can be quieter than a hotel near the beach but it's true. I would never had known about the railroad if I hadn't heard a train when I first got out of the car.

Safety
La Playa Score 2
I was shocked because the sliding glass doors should have been locked from the outside since the balcony rails had been taken down for refurbishment. Not only did I open my sliding glass doors but I heard several others around me sliding theirs. Lets face it college kids get drunk and while there I heard three fights from my room. So think about those same drunk kids sliding those glass doors and stepping out at night to get a breath of fresh air and falling. Their is going to be a law suit out of it I'm betting.
Days Inn Score 8
I noticed someone walking around at all hours there that worked for them. I'd trust them more than La Playa any day. The only reason I gave them an 8 and not higher is I didn't stand outside all night.

Room Tip: Ask them for fresh towels and don't touch the decorated towels they can be nasty. If you want a...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

The room was a mess. The outside of the hotel looked like a run down crack house, not even a nice crack house. We couldn't see out the window because they were extremely dirty. The hotel has been undergoing maintenance for the past 4 plus months, so many of the rooms don't have a balcony. Literally we had half of a balcony. Service was awful. They changed their policy about the security deposit without letting us know. The hotel's management is a bunch of crooks and thieves.

• Stayed March 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We literally checked in and checked out within 10 minutes. The mattress was stained with either blood or fecal matter, door was barely closable, room stunk of mildew, kitchen "suite" was more like a hostile apartment I would be afraid to even use in fear if catching a disease, couch stained, mildew around every window . Pure hell . Many photos taken and available . Don't trust when they say they are under "renovation" totally untrue. Complete dive . We were given comple refund by Amex .

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank 4nickynoodles
Daytona Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Worst hotel i've ever stayed at! Walk in, first off my room wasn't clean but okay i'll wait. Lobby is okay much nicer than the rest of the hotel. I got an oceanfront room with a balcony.. okay first off i'm not sure why anything like this would be on any beach. The kitchette promised was some rinky dink microwave and fridge, I actually planned on cooking a nice meal that evening. The balcony was very short so no privacy. The staff hangs around smoking and laughing as if they are the ones on vacation. The bed had stains, red and blacks ones I'm assuming from blood and decades of dirt. I asked for a blanket because the bed only came with yellow sheets, the never came. At least bring a blanket, Daytona gets chilly. Just don't stay I saw renovations being done but i'm sure they'll jack up the price so just go somewhere else

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank redtraveler2014
Mosinee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed at La Playa for 4 nights. Woke up every am to construction workers drilling and pounding. The kitchenette is VERY out of date. The beds are hard and very uncomfortable. Do not go by the pictures on the website. This hotel looks nothing like it. Very out of date and dingy. Unheated pool temp was 52 degrees. Not a family friendly hotel. The only good thing is the ocean view and location. $110-120/ night. NOT worth it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kandise S
Casselberry, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We stayed here last year and ask though it is clearly not a 5 star place it was acceptable. This year was a whole different story. They didn't have the room we booked so they offered a king bed option. We had booked a dbl suite w ocean front. When we got to the room the dust on the balcony windows were about an inch thick. The door was fixed so it didn't open to the balcony when we cleaned off enough dirt to see out the window we understood why. The whole balcony was torn off, only a plywood deck, no railing of any kind, we were on the 6th floor.
The whole reason we booked here was to be able to watch the Jetski event from the balcony. The front desk was understanding when I called to complain but told me they didn't have any other rooms to put us in. Since we booked trough Expedia they said I had to call them to try to find some where else to go for the night. Our friend who stayed here did have a working balcony but had no heat, it was in the 50's this weekend so no heat was a problem. The indoor pool was closed and piled high with old carpet and construction materials. The outside pool and deck, bar and shuffle board were also closed due to all the construction. The front desk actually had the nerve to charge a $9.95 "Resort" fee Per night. I'm not sure what for, first off this is NO resort and secondly NONE of the amenities were usable. We had to go to the next door hotel to even access the beach. Expedia found us a really nice place to move to for the 2 nights we were in town. We came back to use or friends room for the day to watch the Jetski event, but again the no heat thing was an issue, maintenance finally had the whole unit replaced after about 3 hrs. Any way, this place was a JOKE for the $120.00 price they were charging. Until all this construction gets finished and rooms remodeled this place isn't worth $20.00 a night. Oh almost forgot to mention that the doors all looked like some one tried to break them down, popcorn ceiling was coming down in several paces as well … stay away from this place unless you make sure it is finished being worked on. I have photos but can't seem to get them to attach to review. Sorry

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Daytona Beach Resort and Confere...
#21 of 102 in Daytona Beach
Atlantic Cove
Atlantic Cove
#20 of 28 in Ormond Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Daytona Beach ...
#11 of 102 in Daytona Beach
Grand Seas Resort
Grand Seas Resort
#52 of 102 in Daytona Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,201 reviews

Been to La Playa Resorts & Suites? Share your experiences!