“Wonderful”

La Playa Resorts & Suites
Ranked #82 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

If ur looking for a great hotel right on the beach with a wonder breakfast inside the hotel this is the place to stay the staff here is wonderful we came here on our honeymoon an we asked them to upgrade our room to a king size bed we didn't care to pay the cost but they was so kind an upgraded us for free everything is very clean I can't express how nice the this hotel is an the breakfast. Shari who worked in the restaurant was sooo nice. She went above n beyond to make sure everything was perfect for us. Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Scared2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is our first night here. I was skeptical when I read the other reviews. So far so good.

Check in-arrived at9pm on a Friday night. Easy process. My room was $89/night. I saw a woman get charged a $10 resort fee because she booked through a discount website. Call hotel direct like I did to avoid the fee.

Room-HUGE, clean, kitchenette, firm bed (may be hard for some), balcony (door has to be propped with chair). Make sure you say "ocean front" if you want a full view of the ocean from your room. Otherwise you will not get that if you ask for an "ocean view room". What a play on words.

Noise level- It is 12:41am and all I hear is the ocean waves outside my door (I requested "ocean front" room.

Location: Walmart is 6-7 miles away. Various places to eat nearby. Nice strip to walk down if you don't want to drive.

We haven't gone to the tiki bar yet but from the looks of things people were having fun. There was a DJ playing young teeny bopper college age type music. But hey it's cool. I will post more as my trip goes on!

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Thelittlemermaid35
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The pool and beach access are open. After reading these reviews I did not expect much from this hotel and usually when I set my standards low- I can still enjoy myself. let me tell ya- even with low standards -it didn't meet my expectations. The pool area bar is super loud so if you are staying 2 miles from the boardwalk because it might be quieter-don't stay here or near it. It is an old building. The are fully booked a lot of the time. A stranger asked to try my drink while I was walking around the pool area- that is how she started a conversation between us and I am not kidding. The drinks are very watery and very expensive so stick to the beer. Lots of people were bringing in coolers filled with beer of their own. The pool starts at 4 feet so if you have a little one that is a weak swimmer their only option if you are not in the pool is the 1 foot kiddie pool that is full of the wee babies in their diapers. The pool is very cold. The view from the pool area is fantastic. The beach nice-in a Daytona way of being nice of course- it is Daytona after all. Wonderful sand between your toes, endless views of the horizon, cars and people enjoying themselves as far as the eye can see. The beach has changed little and is still wonderful-in that unique Daytona way. And it still attracts the trash of the world-so enjoy the people watching. I have been to Daytona many many times in my life. Not for many years have a stayed here and let me tell you- I will never stay in Daytona again. The people at the front desk of this hotel are nice. The view (even your side ocean view rooms) do have nice views. The balconies are those old type that are separated by a few feet of building space and are older so you don't want your kids playing out there. Not terrible by any means but keep a good eye on them. The bathrooms are old, almost no light and ivory colored. probably not a good combination really. The room felt dirty, ya know that beach sand expected kind of dirty. The beds were clean. The rooms have little kitchenettes - if you need it I could see that being good and they fold the towels into little lovely swans like you see on cruises-which is a nice touch. I was not able to sleep at all though. The windows are impossibly thin. There is so much noise that even my kids woke up-laugh. I always joke at how hard it is to wake them. A Car alarm was ringing all night long and it must have kept everyone up-and the hotel did nothing. Why do they ask for our car information if this kind of thing is allowed to carry on and on and on. Although the hotel is old- I can say that my experience was likely really jaded by the fact that it is really Daytona beach that is terrible in of itself. It was a new experience with my kids that is, it was not a bike week so I really thought we would be okay- but really the place just attracts hateful angry people. We even got to see people arrested in the parking garage while leaving babba gumps and of course there was all kinds of police and people screaming drama around it. Even from our car with the windows rolled up -you couldn't help but hear what was going on. If you are looking for serious trash, to find somebody to fight with easily and a night of wreckless partying- then by all means go to Daytona. I have grown far out of any of this and never really "fit" in to this kind of environment you could say. With kids this hotel it too far away from the boardwalk so you have to drive to it if you have kids. Don't be fooled by the kids on the website. It is not a kid friendly place. The guests don't want the kids around, the hotel pool is not kid size friendly and the loud music goes till wee hours with people screaming well into the night. We didn't even eat the breakfast here. We couldn't leave this hotel or the town fast enough. I'll take my kids to Vegas before I take them here again.

1 Thank qualtyk9

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Sanford, Florida
Reviewed 28 April 2014

If the rooms of this Hotel were as beautiful, safe, clean, and roach free as the lobby; I would have loved this HOtel. But it was one of the worst experience in our Life. We asked for a Non-Smoking room, most of my Family members have Asthma! They gave us a SMOKING ROOM, we asked if they had given us a Smoking room and they said, "We are sorry, we'll move you right away". Well it was too late for that, since one of my Family Member was having an Asthma attack! At night, when we were sleeping we woke up to the sounds of loud people outside, swimming after hours when it was prohibited. We didn't noticed that we had booked the room for 5 people and 10 roaches. Not to mention the room service, we had asked for extra towels and the Lady said, "We are out, but when we get some more I'll drop off some ", she never came back!
The stove looked like it was falling apart, the balcony door couldn't close because the door look was broken. Definitely this place needs to be repaired fist before letting people stay there.
We were supposed to stay for 2 nights but we had to leave right away, definitely not coming back here again!

Room Tip: Ocean Front is not Ocean Front. Don't book here!
1 Thank Keiry P
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Lobby was nice. Front desk clerk less than friendly. All other staff was friendly. Pool area nice with a Tiki bar available. Loved the fact we were able to park in a garage vs in the sun. Stayed on 7th floor that was nice. Trash was not taken out in the elevator areas often enough. Smell was less than desirable. Understandably the elevators stayed wet due to the obvious ocean and pool area. With that being said maybe a mat in the elevators to keep someone from sliding would be helpful. Constantly saw a pool attendant keeping the area clean. The room was fairly large. Beds were comfortable. Tv outdated. Not enough plugs in the room. My kids thought swan towels were the best thing they have ever seen so that was really neat :) Would prob stay again. Overall for what we needed the motel for which was a clean room and comfort so we could sleep and enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: Know the difference between ocean side and ocean front. This was my first time to Florida since I wa...
2 Thank Katherine S
New York
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The only nice thing about this place is the lobby and the pool area. Our room is extremely beaten up....literally. Patched holes and even damage that has not been addressed yet. Kitchen area is old. Cupboards are all peeling, table and chairs doing the same. Carpet looks 20 years old and filthy. Haven't been out on balcony because it looks unsafe. This place didn't look bad from the outside but extremely disappointed. Leaving tomorrow to go elsewhere. $140 a night I expected better. Pictures look so nice! No comforters on our beds or the Caribbean decor they advertise. Great beach access but any hotel along the strip located on the beach has great beach access. Don't let it be a selling point for this hotel. Light switches on both lamps spark every time you turn them on and off. Two outlets aren't secure in the wall. This place needs and entire remodel...room by room. Much better places to stay along the strip.

• Stayed April 2014
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My GF booked here on a last minute whim . I then looked at the pics and got extremely worried - I called the hotel to ask some questions , I am an executive chef w a 5* hotel in south florida so I know at times these reviews can be harsh , but nowhere is perfect and if u travel u know how to make sure u have a good time ..... as I said called spoke to a great young lady named Tonya told her my conerns and we decided to keep the reservation expedia would have changed it for us .
Have to say was quitw surprised , large room , nice CLEAN Kitchen and bathroom ocean view grwat pool w hot tube music by the pool - can not complain esp for the price ..149 $ a nite . It is a very old place tho and def NOT a Marriott or Hilton but so far so good ....beds are a little hard n out dated no flat screen tvs but nice size room w a safe and full refrigerator.

Everything you need to have a good time across thw steeet from publix and walgreens next to dennies and directly on the beach ! Great sunrise thats for sure !!!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Daytona Beach Resort and Confere...
#23 of 103 in Daytona Beach
Atlantic Cove
Atlantic Cove
#20 of 28 in Ormond Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Hilton Garden Inn Daytona Beach ...
#13 of 103 in Daytona Beach
Grand Seas Resort
Grand Seas Resort
#55 of 103 in Daytona Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,244 reviews

Been to La Playa Resorts & Suites? Share your experiences!