“If you like roaches, this is the hotel for you” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Playa Resorts & Suites

La Playa Resorts & Suites
Ranked #81 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Greenville, North Carolina
“If you like roaches, this is the hotel for you”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I traveled this past weekend from NC to Daytona, about a nine hour drive. When I arrived parking wasn't really an issue. My room smelled very strongly of beach and sweat, which I guess may be typical of hotels on the beach. My room was described as "ocean front", although, I could barely make out the ocean from the first floor being right beside the pool/bar area with a million people outside and loud music playing. When I returned to the hotel at about 12:30 that night, there was not a single parking space in the covered area or in the ten spots on the other side of the hotel. I was instructed to park my car in a "construction area" and had to walk a ways to my room. This wouldn't normally concern me except for the fact that I was by myself in a relatively unknown area, late at night. They obviously don't have enough parking for guests. I went to take a shower and found a roach crawling along the bathroom floor. It was kind of gross and made it a little hard to sleep that night. I'm not sure why the bar was closed at 10 as another reviewer said, but there were people outside my room screaming and carrying on until about 3:30 in the morning. Thankfully I only had to stay here one night - they should probably take the word "resort" out of the name of their property, or do some serious overhaul.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Alyssa W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Where do I start ??? This was the worst hotel experience of my life, The rooms were very dirty and smelled real bad, the carpet was horrible , hotels web-site lies about the sizes of rooms, shower was awful. Needs some serious improvement. I won't tell anyone I know to go there. It was terrible, even my dog hate this place. Please stay away from this place and don't believe the pictures. We will never go back to this horrible place again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank veronicaed

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I would first like to say; we are from Florida. Bugs are a fact of life here. If you stay at the beach...you will most likely find mildew and salt grime, and sand. In other words, we understand there are certain things you are just not gonna get away from in relation to the location you choose for a hotel. That being said; we would still have to give LaPlaya a poor review. The hotel seems to be under a much needed renovation and several of the balconies were closed off at the time of our stay, including ours. This was a big disappointment because the advertised balcony was the main reason we chose this hotel. We had a king suite oceanview and the room itself was quite large...really big enough for a whole family. It was very clean, and included a living room area, bathroom, separate sink/vanity area, kitchenette, separate bedroom, and the aforementioned balcony that was closed off. The view from the large picture window would have been awesome but for the layer of grime on the window. There were exposed conduit covered wires from the television and ac areas while we were there. The mirrored closet doors were "off track" or something, because they were difficult to move and very wobbly. Honestly, our room wasn't that bad for the two of us....it would have been really nice if we had use of the advertised balcony, and I would have been more concerned if we had small children or pets in the room. The pool area was pretty much what you would expect, however, some of the guests were hanging their wet towels over their balconies causing a "dirty towel water shower" when you walked out the door to the pool. This was pretty gross and was apparently OK with management, as it continued both days we were there. The deck area with the Tiki bar was wood, and had several places where the planks were uneven, splintering and wobbly. The table we sat at had dried food in several places and seemed to be the cleanest we could find. When we returned to the same table the next day, the dried mess remained in the area we did not clean off. The bar was closed and the lights were off when we returned from dinner around 10pm. This was on a Saturday night and several people remained over at the pool area. We shared a bottle of wine that we thankfully had the foresite to bring, and sat in the dark, watching some of the other patrons enjoying their balconies. The hotel did offer some compensation for our "inconvenience" on the balcony, but only made good on part of the offer and blamed the OTA for the misunderstanding. Oh well...lesson learned...right? The location is pretty nice. Right on the beach. An easy walk across the road to a nice shopping plaza. Restaurants within walking distance....can't figure out why everything was closed up at 10pm on a Saturday night in the summertime....I mean...it's Daytona, right!?!? All in all, we found the hotel to be very dated with several safety issues, and the word we both came up with was "creepy". Disappointed that the management did not make good on their compensation offer, but they can rest assured that we won't be back, so that turns into a nonissue for us. If you are determined to book this hotel, my advice would be to call ahead to verify your room and amenities prior to checking in...you may decide to go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank darlenec58
Ocala, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for our 12 year anniversary. It was a fun & romantic stay. Beautiful view, clean room, lots of things to do and very close to Publix, stores, and restaurants. Staff was friendly and helpful, the bar was awesome too!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Zeebravan
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

La Playa is good value for money but very dated and a bit shabby around the edges!Rooms are clean but furnishings and public areas could do with updating!Quite well located as the shopping area is right across the road so don't even need to get car out if you need to pop out for a few essentials.Straight onto beach but the "beach doozies"who try to sell you timeshare don't leave you alone here as they come straight in to the parking lot and walk thru to pool area and pester you,no hotel security to sort out guests from these hagglers-so put off from going again!!Poor value for money,staff not helpful.

Room Tip: go to another hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We selected LaPlaya for our wedding this weekend a year ago March. Since then they have been renovating and everything was perfect! We had our ceremony in the Gazebo on the back deck, the reception in the Mezzanine ballroom, and our guests did not have to drive, just go back to their rooms. Everyone loved their rooms, the food at the reception and a wonderful bartender. We did not have 1 problem that wasn't solved with a simple phone call. ( An air conditioner did not work in one room, and they immediately replaced it! Enough said) Anyone can find fault if they try hard enough....but as far as I'm concerned and our 65 guests.....this place is the BOMB! Thank you for a wonderful time!
The Bride and Groom

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank supertime2014
Hyannis, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Jojo at pool bar very aggressive. Xenophobic to international visitors.not good.
Other than that everything went well. Pity they hire poor staff.

What more do you wAnt to me to say, it only takes one staff member to screw up a totally good experience. I shall not stay here again, not at the price asked.

Room Tip: Don't visit Jojo at pool bar. Attitude stinks
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Daytona Beach
Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center
Daytona Beach Resort and Confere...
#17 of 102 in Daytona Beach
Daytona Inn Beach Resort
Daytona Inn Beach Resort
#73 of 102 in Daytona Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Daytona Beach
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Dayto...
#20 of 102 in Daytona Beach

Been to La Playa Resorts & Suites? Share your experiences!