“Feeling Deceived”

La Playa Resorts & Suites
Ranked #52 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed 10 July 2014

First the good - friendly staff & many local amenities
Then the bad - what we were led to believe & paid for an ocean front room, was actually a construction front room with jackhammers & dump trucks beginning promptly at 7:00 a.m., the paint in the room was peeling, carpet was musty, door to room and bathroom would not open or close without extreme force (our 6 & 10 year old were not able to open the doors themselves), tiny fridge was rusty, deck chairs outside had scary brown stains
The ugly - army of ants & one lone roach! eww! Motel seems to attract many rowdy guests who are up all night with questionable intentions as there were remains of another type of roach left near where my children were playing in the pool.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank JasonNTeri

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The name "Resort" is extremely deceiving as are the photos online. I would not recommend this "motel" to anyone. The walls in the room look like they haven't been painted in 20 years - the door would barely open and close, and the very first thing I see when I walk into the room is a roach. Not a palmetto but - but an actual roach. The towels feel like a brillow pad - the pillows are hard as a rock and the clientel yelling in the corridors will definitely keep you up all night. You have to sleep with the TV on and the AC on full blast. I was actually concerned for the families with small children that were checking in. NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelinfool5
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This resort is in definite need of attention. The picture used for advertising was likely taken at least 20 years ago. In our room, the ceiling tile grids were rusty, the table leg ready to break, the cabinet doors only shut when both were closed at the same time, extremely low water pressure to shower or flush with, and was rather dirty overall. There were garbage bags of trash by the ice machine. Yuck. Parking was also limited. If their lots were full, people had to park on the streets or in the adjoining construction lot. I realize it was the weekend of July 4th and the Nascar races, but this "resort" was certainly not worth the $200 per night we were charged. We didn't use the tiki bar, restaurant, or pools, so I can't comment on them. Definitely needs updates!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sharricky
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the La Playa this past week on the first floor. My 82 year old mother was sleeping and she said she woke up and someone was in her room. She had a stroke about three months ago which affected her vision. She said the person had a dark shirt on with light colored pants. The cleaning staff wears dark shirts and tan pants. She noticed her purse was thrown on the floor between the night stand and the bed . Her wallet was missing . I have been spending the last three months collecting information so that my mother could get some help paying her medical bills and now everything is gone and I have. To get it all over again thanks to a thief. So this is fair warning. Don't let the cleaning staff out of your sight. My grand daughters pouch with all her money also went missing. We had reason to believe she may have just lost her pouch because she had been shopping but then after the incident with my mother's wallet , we now believe it was stolen too.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Wanda P
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and 2 young children stayed here for 6 days last week, 6/22/14-6/28/14. Upon entering the room, it was clean with cute towels shaped into doves situated on the beds, akin to what they do on cruise ships. We upgraded to an ocean front room with no problems. We had a relaxing time! The resort was actively renovating on the side of the bldg but it was non-intrusive. Go and ENJOY! We sure did!
Lastly, the staff were professional. No complaints!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank hidaya
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I traveled this past weekend from NC to Daytona, about a nine hour drive. When I arrived parking wasn't really an issue. My room smelled very strongly of beach and sweat, which I guess may be typical of hotels on the beach. My room was described as "ocean front", although, I could barely make out the ocean from the first floor being right beside the pool/bar area with a million people outside and loud music playing. When I returned to the hotel at about 12:30 that night, there was not a single parking space in the covered area or in the ten spots on the other side of the hotel. I was instructed to park my car in a "construction area" and had to walk a ways to my room. This wouldn't normally concern me except for the fact that I was by myself in a relatively unknown area, late at night. They obviously don't have enough parking for guests. I went to take a shower and found a roach crawling along the bathroom floor. It was kind of gross and made it a little hard to sleep that night. I'm not sure why the bar was closed at 10 as another reviewer said, but there were people outside my room screaming and carrying on until about 3:30 in the morning. Thankfully I only had to stay here one night - they should probably take the word "resort" out of the name of their property, or do some serious overhaul.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank 425alyssaw
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Where do I start ??? This was the worst hotel experience of my life, The rooms were very dirty and smelled real bad, the carpet was horrible , hotels web-site lies about the sizes of rooms, shower was awful. Needs some serious improvement. I won't tell anyone I know to go there. It was terrible, even my dog hate this place. Please stay away from this place and don't believe the pictures. We will never go back to this horrible place again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family