“Stayed again and was wonderful as always.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sun Viking Lodge

Sun Viking Lodge
Ranked #7 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
achilders39
“Stayed again and was wonderful as always.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Staff great as always. They remember us every year.

Rooms are perfect. Look forward to the next time that we get to go.

Even though my teen no longer wants to participate in kids activities, we watched some of them and they have several new activities to occupy their time and have fun at.

Room Tip: This year we stayed in room where indoor pool is. During the daytime hours it is louder than being o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank achilders39
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I would like to thank this repeat guest for their review of our property. Reading the words this guest expressed along with compliments on our staff is a tremendous compliment for a hotel owner to read. Making our guests happy makes us happy!

Many of our guests prefer our oceanfront rooms so they can enjoy the views of our beautiful Florida coastline. Other guests prefer our 2-story building with easy access to all our amenities, waterslide & pools plus the accommodations are less expensive.

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us look forward to your return visit. Thank you again for your kind review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We checked in and asked how many children where with us. We had one child and they gave us a sun viking coloring book, pack of crayons, and an activity schedule.

Our room was beach view with a big balcony and perfect view of the sunrise.

We loved using the baby pool, water slide, and children's playground all on site. Plus with a few steps through a gate, we were on the beach! All water areas are gated and the latch is 4 or 5 feet from the ground so a toddler would not be able to accidentally get in on their own.

There is an activities director onsite with nighttime moving showings, activities, and games all day long for kids. I was super impressed with the kid friendly atmosphere. There is even a sign at the check-in counter informing those under 25 they must be with family to stay. No crazy college parties allowed!

The only feedback was that I wished they served dinner at the cafe. Other than that, all was great.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get a beach view....so amazing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank M V
One of the nicest compliments we can receive is to have a guest say they highly recommend us, thank you.

I was happy to read that you and your family loved our amenities. I agree, our waterslide is very popular along with all our complimentary family activities; encouraging family fun is one of our major goals. I am also glad you enjoyed our weekend outdoor movie night; these summer family movie nights have become quite popular! As I have stated before, spending time together as a family will strengthen the bonds with your children and will create memories that will last a lifetime!

Thank you for your kind comments and we appreciate your time in sending in this review. We certainly look forward to your next visit with us!
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Our family stayed at the Sun Viking Lodge for the first time and we can't wait to go back! This property right on the beach is great! The staff is so nice and helpful. We had so much fun with Dawn, the activities director! The kid's activities were great for the whole family! Even our twelve year old enjoyed playing Bingo. Please know that these beach casual rooms are great for any beach stay with the ocean steps away from your door. We really do look forward to going back again next summer! Thanks for the memories!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank coopcrismom
Thank you for taking the time to send in this kind review. One of the nicest compliments we can receive is to read that a guest finds our staff friendly and helpful and that you felt Dawn, our Activity Director had lots of fun things to do. Our activity program is designed for all ages helping everyone to enjoy spending their time together. So thank you for the nice compliments!

We deeply believe in maintaining an atmosphere that promotes traditional casual beach-side vacations, focusing on families, couples and seniors. As you know, we are not an upscale property offering luxury rooms and services. We offer clean, comfortable accommodations in a relaxed, casual beachfront location

Overall, we want our guests to enjoy themselves. As years go by, most of our guests will not remember the décor of our rooms or color of our drapes but the memories of being together at the beach will long be remembered. In this fast-paced world, what means the most is . . . spending “time” together!

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Altamonte Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

First off the view from the room was spectacular! We stayed on the 6th floor in the tower. The room was very clean and plenty of space for 6 of us. Full size fridge was nice so we could stock groceries. Kids enjoyed the outdoor pool with the waterslide and also the indoor pool when the sun became intense. The cafe serves fresh breakfast and lunch items. The kids enjoyed the variety of activities offered each day. We will DEFINATELY be coming back. Recommend the tower with the amazing views!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Acandi3
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
It was nice to read that this guest and their family enjoyed their stay at the Sun Viking Lodge, thank you!

One of the most important things for us as owners is to encourage the family vacation experience. In today’s hectic world with numerous distractions, texting and outside influences, just spending time together, relaxing, playing and appreciating each other, provides precious memories that will last a lifetime!

I am glad you found our kitchens equipped well and suited your needs. Many families can save a bundle by eating in a meal or two daily and we all know how kids love to snack! All kids, even the “senior” kids staying here agree – they love the waterslide! As you mentioned, our indoor pool is quite popular especially when a little shade is needed!

Thank you again for being so kind – we hope to see you again soon!
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I am not a real fan of motels nor am I a fan of four stars and under, but I must say, I give the Sun Viking Lodge a very good rating.

> Check in was easy, key was a bracelet great beach and pool concept
> Room was very clean (we stayed in 405 beach front)
>Great kitchen with full cooking capabilities
>Mattress were new and although soft, were very comfortable
>The property safe for kids to play and swim, small but ample room to run and play and yet stay confined.
>Kids activities all day kept children running all day (great concept)
>60 foot water slide
>Movie night on the lawn and could watch from our room as well as the lawn
>Tons of kids
The only negative things I can say is that they permit smoking on the lawn where the movies are shone at night and the snack bar is over priced for the quality of food provided.

This place really opened my eyes to the motel...not so terrible :o)

Room Tip: 405 in the tower was very clean with a full kitchen
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank NatesBestGirl
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
First I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write such a nice review and for raking us so high. As I read your comments, I was the one who was pleasantly surprised! As you may have guessed, we are not a luxury hotel offering upscale services; as you mentioned, we offer casual accommodations in a relaxed oceanfront location. However, I was glad to read that you found the room was “very clean” with a “great kitchen” and the mattresses were “very comfortable”. I was happy to read that you felt our property was “safe for kids to play and swim” and our “kids activities kept children running all day including our 60-foot water slide. Our summer movie nights on the lawn, facing the ocean have become really a family favorite.

I am sorry you found our poolside snack bar overpriced. All food items are “cooked to order on an individual basis” and since our volume is lower, our costs are higher than that of a larger restaurant or fast food operation.

Thank you again for such a great review. We hope you will return and enjoy another family vacation at the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I am very picky about where I stay. I usually only stay at Marriott or Hilton just because I know what to expect there. However, a few years ago, while going through a divorce, my son and I just packed the car and headed to Florida (with no reservations) to get our minds off of it. We drove until we were tired, which was in Daytona when he saw the Sun Viking and asked if we could stop. I asked to see the room first and was satisfied with the cleanliness and price. I paid for 7 days and we unpacked. A few hours later, it started raining and turned into a terrible thunderstorm. It was supposed to rain all week. :( I went to the office and explained that I didn't think to check the weather and although their policy was not to refund, I asked if we could possibly get any of our money back so we could go South in search of sun. They understood and refunded our unused days. We packed up and headed to the Keys. My son wasn't happy anywhere else we stayed because he wanted to go back to the Sun Viking. I checked the weather and it was sunny, no rain in Daytona, so we pack up, drive back to Daytona. After wasting a week chasing the sun, we decided to stay another week and stayed at the Sun Viking. He loved the basketball game that was always going on, and I loved that I could lay out in peace! :) The owners/ management have always been so nice and accommodating. Now, every time I am in Florida, whether it be for business, or flying in for a cruise, I always stop and stay a day or two at the Sun Viking, even when my son is not with me!
If you are thinking of staying here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank 102StephanieB
BarbaraBrown-1, Owner at Sun Viking Lodge, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
I would like to thank this guest for sending in such a nice review. I must admit, it put a smile on my face to read this mom and her son enjoyed their time with us so much, they’ve become repeat guests after finding the Sun Viking Lodge several years ago.

As I have mentioned many times, we are not an upscale hotel offering luxury services; we offer clean comfortable accommodations in a casual beachfront atmosphere. It is certainly appreciated to see this guest ranked us so high in each category; we are happy that we met your expectations, thank you!

We agree with you; our basketball goal is a favorite of many guests as well as our 60-foot waterslide.

Thank you again for your kind review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Sun Viking Lodge . . . a place where you are always welcome!
Daytona Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Hotel staff was rude and unaccomating. Chose to ignore problems rather than resolve them. Appears to be a shoddy run down motel posing as a hotel. For a hotel on the beach, we expected to be situated...not on the highway. Put our room right on highway 90. We listened to cars roar by at midnight due to poor building management.

This "hotel" is the vacation from hell.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank kdyzol
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were unhappy with your room location. As in most motels or hotels, there are few rooms that are available that do not have the most desirable locations. This holds true for us as well.

Whether booking directly with us, booking on our website or booking through a travel site, we have always tried to be very descriptive on the few rooms we have in these non-view locations. They are described accurately as having “no view of the ocean” and a “street-side” location; meaning, they are located next to the street. In addition, these are our least expensive rooms. Some guests, prefer to save the money knowing the room locations in advance, as they plan to be outside enjoying the beach all day. Other guests may prefer to pay a bit more to get a room with a better location and a view of the ocean. As a suggestions, when booking a room anywhere, it is best to read the full description to avoid any miss-understandings.

When you return to Daytona Beach, I am sure you will find many great hotels that can offer you a room you will be happy with.