“Looks are deceiving”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Jacksonville, Florida
“Looks are deceiving”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The outside of the resort looks nice & so does the lobby & the whole main floor as well as the pool area. Then you make your way to the old jerky eleveators & your room. My room was not any nicer than a stay at a Days Inn even though the price is way higher. Lets start with the balcony. The door would not lock, cigarette butts on the floor, the balcony above me and to the right are crumbling and you can see the re-bar and concrete. The bed was lumpy and pillows hard as a rock. There was no water pressure in the shower & on my last day there was no hot waster. I could hear every noise from the hallway. There were 2,500 teenagers staying here the entire week. They were loud all hours of the day & night & took up the pool & elevators. They knocked on your door & ran away. It was a horrible stay. I would not recommend this place or stay here again. There are plenty of other hotels to choose from.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear tinth,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All reviews are imnportant to us.Unfortunately, I am aware of most of the service and product issues you encountered during your stay. Most of them have already been addressed/repaired. I would liek to speak to you about your stay and encourage you to call me.

Bob Van Bergen, CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

The hotel lobby is great and the rooms were fair. The only reason I am scoring it low is because we were there for 5 days and our room was only cleaned once. It got cleaned that day because we stopped by the front desk and asked them if we could get it cleaned. I had to call the front desk to get towels everyday. We were out of the room at 6:30am everyday and didn't return to the room till 2pm everyday....they had time to clean it.

1 Thank Efsmac
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Dear efsmac,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our lobby, but very concerned with your comments about housekeeping. I will speak to our housekeeper in order to make sure all rooms are cleaned every day. I do hope that you will return when your travel plans bring you back to Daytona Beach.

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I would stay here again, although I don't like paying a resort fee ($17/night). There was free parking and wifi, though. The balcony had cigarette butts left over from some time ago, so I guess they don't clean those very often. The rest of the room was pretty clean. The air conditioner did blow directly on the bed, so be sure to have an extra blanket. All in all, great stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in a Jr. Suite with 2 queen beds. Nice and roomy to be able to spread out in. It also had...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Gabrielle G,

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to se that you enjoyed your stay and would return.
I will ask housekeeping to focus more on those balconies.Your input is important to our continued improvement.
Hope to see you back at the Plaza soon!

Solon, Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This is an older hotel on the beach, without the car traffic on the beach to worry about. It is being nicely renovated, and the public areas are really beautiful with a great deal of character, showing how hotels used to be, not like the cookie-cutter ones built today. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a great view from the balcony. The location is good, able to walk to the pier and other restaurants for some variety. Staff was friendly, helpful and accommodating, explained the renovations being done. We would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Chris T,

So hapopy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are making a number of improvements to our resort and was glad to hear that you noticed some of them. I hope that you will return soon.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. We had 2 rooms on the 11th floor for 2 nights. Our rooms were great, everyone there was extremely helpful and accommodating. The kind of customer care you rarely get. Our stay included breakfast and it was much more than other hotels provide. Our room was very clean with an ocean view and plenty of space to accomodate 3 adults and child.
The only thing I would say negative is the beds were a bit hard for me, but the others thought they were comfortable, the water pressure was not great-and it was a sprinkle off and on and you cant take the pool towels to the beach, but these things would not keep us from going back. The room, location, beach, pool, the breakfast and especially the customer care were fantastic!!! We just wish we would have asked for ocean view with balcony.

Room Tip: Get a balcony so you can enjoy the view and breeze from the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Timar 5,

Thanks very much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and was particulary happy to see that our service exceeded your expectations. Despite all of the improvements we are making to ur structure and facilities, it is service that keeps guests coming back. Hope to see you here again real soon!

Bob Van Bergen
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel smelled very bad. The rooms are very outdated and the beds are as hard as bricks. The air conditioner is a window type unit and is so loud that you have to repeat most of whats said when it is on. There was a 3 inch gap at the bottom of the main door so everything in the hall could be heard. Please take my advice and spent the extra money and stay at the hilton your family will thank you.

3 Thank Dustin C
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Dustin C,

We appreciate your review and your comments. We work hard every day to meet and exceed our guests expectations. We are working diligently at addressing the issues you have mentioned.
If you could send me your room number I will make sure we correct the noisy AC and opening at the bottom of the door.

SIncerely,

Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel met my expectations but you could be fooled by the resort title. Yes they have a spa & small gym but when I think resort I picture tennis courts, hiking trails, kayaking, on site restaurants. This HOTEL doesn't offer anything more than the next one down the block. Front desk staff were friendly & helpful. The place was relitively clean considering we went in the middle of summer break & knowing the amount of people traffic. My only beef is that the cleaning maid (Lindsey) made 3 phone calls from our room and we were sent a bill for the tax. When I disputed it with the front desk they gladly took care of it. Overall, you can't beat being right on the beach & a couple of blocks away from the Oceanwalk in Daytona.

Dear Wamo25,

Thank you very much for your review. I ws pleased to see that you enjoyed our location, cleanliness and service provided by the front desk. We will address with the appropriate persons your comment about unauthorized use of the phone. Your continued patronage is very imporant to us and I hope you will return soon.