“One of the best in Daytona”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Plaza Resort & Spa

Plaza Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kingsland, Georgia, United States
“One of the best in Daytona”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have stayed at quite a few hotels in Daytona, and the Plaza is one of the best. We just returned from a three night stay in a king ocean front room. The room was so much bigger than most hotel rooms. We never felt crowded. The bathroom is small, but besides that, everything was great. We had a roomy patio that provided access to the pool area and beach. We have stayed at this hotel a few times in the past, but this was our first time staying on the first floor. I really liked being able to just walk out from the patio and go straight to the pool. The elevators at beachfront resorts are always crowded, so it was nice to avoid them.
The location of the Plaza is perfect. It is within walking distance of great restaurants and shopping. Once we parked, we did not use our vehicle again. Beach driving ends just before the edge of the resort, so you do not have to worry about vehicle traffic.
The pool area is great. There is an outside bar that offers snacks and drinks. There are plenty of beach chairs, so even on a crowded weekend you did not worry about having a place to sit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michele W
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Michellew,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our first floor rooms. You are correct about our rooms being larger than most standard hotel rooms and our location is often mentioned as being the best in Daytona Beach. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Bob Van Bergen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I've stayed here several times now and I always wish I could stay just a few more days.the rooms are amazing and so is everything in the hotel,great location to go anywhere!i recommend it to everyone who would like to visit Daytona beach!

• Stayed May 2013
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Kodybead,

Thanks for your endorsement and review! We are delighted that you enjoyed our hotel. We do have a great location and a wonderful staff. Our historic hotel with up to date features and amenities is a great alternative on the beach. We hope that you will return soon!

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

There really isn't many choices for nice hotels on Daytona Beach, and we've tried several. The Plaza has a nice lobby, and the pool area is just a bit above average, but room wise, nothing to write home about. Service is better than the Shores. But to be honest, if you are looking for a really nice beachfront location, drive 25 miles north and give Palm Coast a try.

Room Tip: Book ocean front, and nothing else!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rryan313131
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear rryan3131,

Thanks very much for the review. We appreciate all of your comments and will use them to continuously improve. Glad you found our service superior to the Shores. We hope that you will return soon and often.

Orlando, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I read the reviews before selecting this place, I call it "place" because its far from what it is advertised as. Also was recommended to this place and really was excited about my weekend on the beach with my girlfriend. Upon arrival, I was notified of a resort fee, still trying to figure the resort part out, 2 haircutting chairs in the basement doesn't sell me on a resort/spa status. Then reading previous reviews I noticed complaints of things that were fixed, they weren't I could still see re-bar and major cracks on the balconies near mine. The staff was good, no doubt about that with willing to help in any way possible to accommodate the complaints with free drinks and room changes. I was a little however taken back by two things and it will be mentioned to anything that asks about my stay. I found an empty beer can in my garbage and a panty liner behind my toilet on the wall. Lastly, ocean view room and ocean front view should be discussed prior to check-in. There wasn't an ocean front option when I made the reservation so I assumed that ocean view was the only option. When the rest of my party checked in they didn't select a ocean view and could see more of the ocean than I could from my higher priced room. I can say this place was cleaner than the city itself and did offer a good entrance to the beach. However I will not be staying here again on my return visits to Daytona Beach and will be advising any of my other military friends and family to book elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charles T
Dear Charles T,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate all comments good or bad and will work hard to improve. Our Spa is really full service with multiple stations for hair, nails, pedicures and 10 different teatment rooms for a variety of massage treatments. We also have a steam room and a jacuzzi style tub.
No excuse for the items found in your room. We made a mistake in the cleaning and inspection process.
Our rooms a variety of views with Eastern(Ocean Front), Southern(partial Ocean view) and City View(view of the city scape and in higher rooms the intra-coastal). Of course what floor your on also has a big impact on views.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I referred my brother to the hotel a day before we arrived. He posted a picture from the balcony of his "ocean view" room. It was disappointing to say the least. It was a sliver view of the ocean when you got past the parking lot view. At the time we booked the room there was no mention or offer of a "ocean front"room. The room he was given had the trash cans full when he walked in. The next night my wife and I arrived. We checked in and showed the view of my brothers room to front desk ladies and voiced our disappointment. There was complete lack of interest, because as it was worded, he payed for ocean view not front. They can't help we didn't know there was a difference. So we informed them we will not be referring anyone else to the plaza. Which we are in Daytona regularly for dance and cheer competitions. Her response was, "ok, thank you".
Then we get in the elevator, which skipped the 3rd floor a couple of times when we pushed and hit the button. We got to our room, and the door was swelled and extremely hard to open, the patio had broken concrete all over making it appear to be unsafe to sit on and enjoy our view. Which by the way was a regular room, and had a better view of the ocean then my brothers ocean view room which he payed more for. So I decided to go get ice, which I found the ice machine broken. I asked the cleaning ladies how and where to get ice. She took me back to the machine I came from informing me of how to operate the machine in a not so nice tone. When she looked in she said "oh, it's really broken". Ya think? She then informed me I would have to go to the 7th floor to get ice. I was on my to the front desk when Alan passed by asked how I was doing. I said not very well. He took it upon himself to find out why and listen to my complaints. He got me ice and told me he would be at the lobby for a little while and to come back with my wife and brother and get this taken care of. We went to the front desk and Rose gave us a few room options and let us go look at the rooms to see if we were ok with them. Then she moved us both from the rooms into new rooms. Upon multiple elevator rides thru our stay the elevators skip floors. Even the cleaners were pointing it out. The bean bags for corn hole are not filled, making it a hard game to play. Alan then sent the four in our party to the poolside bar. Dwayne then was very nice at the bar in trying to make up for the issues.
Overall, if it wasn't for Alan and Dwayne we would've left instantly and demanded our money back. Very disappointed in the quality vs the money. There are many choices on the strip to choose from other than this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Tim B
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Tim B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear of all of the difficulties that you encountered with your room. I appreciate you acknowledging Alan for helping out, however, more importantly I wish you had been more than satisfied from the very beginning. If possible give me a call so I can discuss the issue with you in more detail.

Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

A large hotel with a personal touch. The staff are very hands on and friendly. The rooms were up to date and spacious. They also had rooms with a refrigerator, microwave, sink and utensils. Garage parking and open outside parking are available. This hotel also has a spa and meeting room space. I was there to view the hotel as we are going to be holding our Class Reunion there The only drawbacks are that the hotel charges a resort fee and the elevators can be extremely slow.

Room Tip: They have rooms that face AIA so if you are looking for beachfront please request same.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Cathy M,
Thank you for your comments about our staff. We really apprciate hearing about them and I will share your feelings at an upcoming all staff meeting we will be having. Our resort fee you referred to covers the expense of items such as two free drinks on arrival, two bottles of water in your room, complimentary WiFi, USA Today delivered to your room, complimentary use of computers and printers in our business center, and valet parking.

I hope that you will return soon!

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

If planning a Reunion and/or conference at this property you can not be in better hands with Ben Nelson, the Conference Manager and Wilson in Banquets. We totally customized our meals and decorations and both were extremely helpful and willing to meet all our needs.

Both are very hands on....and readily available at all times.

Room Tip: 3rd floor - ocean view are the best.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Bob V, General Manager at Plaza Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear JGlass72,
Thanks for the very kind review. I was pleased to see that you recognized two of our employees for their outstanding service. We really appreciate this recognition for our hard working staff. We hope that you will return soon!