“Best Kept Secret in Daytona”

Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #12 of 103 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Hudson, Florida
“Best Kept Secret in Daytona”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I stayed there in May 2013 for 2 nites, stayed at the Dream Inn for the 1st two nites. I paid 137 for the Dream Inn and paid 150 for the 2 nites in the Tropical Winds - what a HUGE difference. The Trop is comparable to a Marriott but nowhere the cost. Since I stayed at two hotels on this trip and being the 2 hotels were almost the same price - I would only stay at the Trop and not the Dream Inn going forward. There is no comparison in every way. The Trop is beautiful and the rooms are wonderful and large. I had seen on their website that they had a corner room with windows on one wall and sliding doors with a balcony on another wall and in the room was a king bed with 2 nite tables and a sofa bed couch, new HDTV in a cabinet with table and chairs and a big refrigerator and microwave. The rooms are super clean and huge. Well, I asked for a corner room when I filled online my reservation and that is what I got. The people there are very friendly and helpful. That is now my 1st hotel I plan on staying at on my trips to Daytona. The pool is large with very comfortable lounges which have the mesh coverings and they are not worn and sagging - they look like they are new. It overlooks the ocean with access to the beach. Can't wait to go back there!

Room Tip: I would always ask for a corner room!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank jollyranger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Finnish first
ezel,ky
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We had a wonderful 12 night stay, the cleaning staff was wonderful and the employees could not help you enough. I've never been treated any better anywhere. We will be back again. The place is clean and comfortable..

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rusmilin
Spring Hill, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2013

My husband and I needed a change of pace for a few days and decided to cross the state to Daytona Beach. I did my 'homework on the net and decided on the Tropical Winds for these reasons:..Oceanfront room, kitchen, and price. We didn't expect the Taj Mahal, but were pleased with the hotel. Didn't mind that there was not restaurant....there are a million around!
Room was clean. Pool area had a very large deck with AMPLE lounge chairs! Staff was friendly, and informative. We would consider the Tropical Winds if we return to Daytona Beach.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Floridagirljcp
Newfoundland Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Staff were very friendly. Disadvantage of staying at this hotel was that it did not have a restaurant onsite. There is a very small cafe but only open from 7 am - 2 pm and a very limited menu variety. Hotel also didn't have a safe in the room.
Should I return to Daytona in the future, I would definitely look for a place closer to the pier.

Room Tip: ocean front - beautiful sunrise
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Martin, ky
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We were here the first week of April as a chaperone for my school's senior trip. While the rooms were nicer and cleaner than expected, I found the front desk staff lacking. We needed five rooms for all of our kids and chaperones, which is not a whole lot. Even though the rooms were booked in advance as one group and one trip, when we arrived to pay they insisted we had pay for each room separately and as a separate transaction. Also, they told us we had to be split up and the rooms could not be put together. If you've ever chaperoned a group of teenagers, you know this is not a good idea. Though they told us when we booked we'd be accommodated, I felt we were not upon arrival. I give the place four stars for the cleanliness and rooms itself, but the front desk staff receives a zero.

Room Tip: The one king bed rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We were hesitant about going back to Daytona Beach because a few years ago when we were there we did not have a good experience with the prior resort or the beach. This time was completely different.
Check in was quick and easy. Woman at front desk was very nice. Loved our room and the view from the balcony overlooking the beach and the outdoor pool. We never used the outdoor pool but we did use the indoor. The kids absolutely loved it, couldn't get enough. The temperature was perfect.
The only thing that would have made our stay better was more place settings in the kitchen. There were only two bowls and we are a family of four.
But other than that our stay was perfect and we won't hesitate to return in the future.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Santa Clarita
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We booked several hotels for our vacation and one might with tropical winds oceanfront hotel through hotels.com. Because we had a slight change of itineary we had to cancel one night 15 days in advance of our expected stay. They have a one day 'No Refund' policy which we were not aware of.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple