“Bait and switch”

Ranked #61 of 72 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Port Orange, Florida
“Bait and switch”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I paid for certain amenities, and didn't get them. When I went to the desk I was told Expedia screwed up. Expedia said there is no guarantee, read the fine print. Basically this was a bait and switch. Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, room is extremely small, and not the room I asked for. Good location though,a nd...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Booked online and paid for a nonsmoking room with king bed. On arrival we were given a room with 2 double beds which reeked so badly of nicotine that we could not even get in the door. I told the clerk we had booked a king nonsmoking room. She said there were no rooms with king beds. I told her we saw 2 rooms with king beds but she said they faced the ocean and she would not give us one of those rooms. We were stuck with a room with 2 double beds. At least it didn't stink of nicotine. Good customer service would have given us one of the king bed rooms, both of which stayed empty the entire night. One double bed was pushed up against the air conditioner and one could not get out of the bed on that side. There was no clock and the chain lock on the door was pulled out of the wood so it was useless. I would NEVER stay anywhere near that place again and we would have found another room except it was late evening when we arrived and we had been traveling for several hours. Also very difficult to get out of the parking lot. Choice Hotels should drop this dump.

Room Tip: Get another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PD R

Travellers are raving about these Daytona Beach hotels

Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

My family and I recently stayed here for one night as part of the Choice Privileges program. We were lured in by the fairly low point value to rent the room as well as the oceanfront location. Upon arrival at the hotel, the parking lot is VERY small and extremely narrow. We have a large SUV that was often difficult to navigate through the narrow cinderblock walls supporting the foundation of the hotel. Turning around was a joke.
Parking lot aside, the hotel looked fairly nice. Certainly nothing extravagant, but we liked the mural paintings of sea animals along the cement wall as well as the totem pole in the parking lot. Surprised at how clean the pool was (a bit chilly when I tested the water) until we later saw seagulls taking advantage of it... Needless to say, we did not end up going swimming. The pool deck was pretty nice with plenty of chaise lounge chairs. Locking gate from the pool deck to the beach for security. The clientele of the hotel may be a turn-off for some people, but we did not have any problems.
First impressions of the room: average size, but there was a kitchenette! That was kind of nice. Granted, the appliances as well as the cabinets were very dated (80s era), but they were there. There was a strange ground-level window in the kitchen overlooking the vacant lot next door - made me kind of hesitant to put any valuables out in the open. Bathroom was average sized for a hotel. Warm water and nice, clean towels. Another little window overlooking the lot next door kind of made us feel a bit exposed, but it was alright. Would recommend opening it while taking a shower as there is no fan in the bathroom to eliminate the steam that collects on the mirror. The beds were fairly small (full, not queen-sized) but clean and comfortable. Free Wi-Fi connection was strong and reliable for multiple devices.
We were excited to hear that the hotel offered free breakfast, which we gladly took advantage of. The offerings were meager (thin bagels, cereal, coffee, apple juice, apples, & honey buns, but everything tasted good. I've certainly had better, but you can't beat free. The woman at the front desk checked in with us during breakfast and was very friendly and informative. Overall, the only drawbacks to this hotel in my opinion are the tiny parking lot and the dated rooms. We would consider staying here again, but probably not for an extended period of time. It got the job done for one night.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 2_Centz
fletcher
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Lady at the front desk was just one of the friendliest I have met. She was very nice and helpful. The rooms well....look at the photos submitted by travelers, I did and they will give you a general idea about the bathroom (small Toilet) and the age of the room. I did not encounter any of the problems in some of the picks, room was clean, It is an older hotel. I did notice I could here the folks next door to me and they were only talking in a normal tone...not loud at all, so if your a light sleeper then that may affect your decision. Like I said the staff was very nice and it is a great location, but that was about it for me.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank steve p
Henry VA
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel because it on the choice network which I am an employee and used my employee discount, I also know with the discount I may not get the nicest room but this was the worst hotel I have ever seen. I know that people write bad reviews before they would write a good review; so i read all the reviews and thought it's on the beach it can’t be that bad, it was, do not believe the pictures they have posted I saw those and that helped make my decision to stay; that and I figured we only need to sleep and shower here. I can’t even begin to tell you how disgusting the room was. The room was so small, the beds were small, room smelled bad, the walls are paper thin, the gap under the front door was big enough to put your hand thru, the room was not clean, the towels were stained, the parking is crazy, the fridge and micro are in the corner closet and the window in the bathroom if someone walks by the can look in. I have added a few pictures of the worn out toilet seat (cheap to replace), the bathroom window in the shower, the bathroom door and the ceiling which had black fingerprints all over it (also cheap to remove: magic eraser). If I had to say something nice I would say I didn’t like the window in the bathroom but it was different looking at the beach from the shower, plenty of hot water it’s right on the beach and checking out. We were going to stay 4 nights but we checked out after 2 we could not get a full refund, we considered sleeping in the car the last night. I booked another hotel and they were nice enough to let us check in at 5 am we were up and ready to go at 4 .

Room Tip: would not stay here if the room was free
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Linda B
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I chose this hotel because of the price and location. Location is great - right on the beach. The hotel is SO dated, the appliances in the kitchen are ancient, the bathroom was far too small, and there was a weird smell to the room; like a combination or incense, urine, and basmati rice. Spend a few extra bucks and go elsewhere - there are plenty of great beachfront hotels in this area, and $20-25 per night extra is worth NOT having to stay at the Rodeway Inn. Had this not been business travel and been booked as 'unrefundable', I would have gone elsewhere (I did shorten my stay to just the one night.)

Room Tip: To get a great room, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Collinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Very small and was suppose to be queen size beds but more like a full. Fridge and microwave was a joke. Bathtub may have been good for a toddler to swim in. Cleaning service must have been in a hurry the day before I checked in considering hair was everywhere in the bathroom, sheets was nasty. I left this hotel and checked into another one and could not wait to get to my room to take a shower, not to mention wanting to wash my clothes. Bathroom had a window and right outside this window is a walk way. This was the nastiest place I have ever stayed and would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The parking was horrible, room was awful and I can't find but one thing to say good about this hotel and that would be the beach and I would have rather slept on the beach !!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
#38 of 72 in Daytona Beach
Oceanside Inn
Oceanside Inn
#30 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores

Been to Sunrise Inn Daytona? Share your experiences!