“We love it”

Cuisines: American, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It's a bit out of the way but it is well worth going to. We read about the Old Spanish Sugar Mill years ago and thought it would be a great place to visit. Glad we stopped. Great experience for young children. For our first visit our daughter was 10 and she thought it was great that you got to make your own pancakes at your table. Since our first visit we have been back numerous times. Staffing can be spotty, our last visit I was not impressed with the help, but other times it's been great.
Get there early because there will be a wait.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a great experience, we arrived at around 8:15am and with our family of 5 were able to snag the last table after they opened. Was not too hot so early, but by the time we finished the place really started to get warm (no AC).

Our server was great, and we just went straight up pancakes with a few toppings. One tip for those with kids 6 and under is that for each adult meal purchased a kid gets to eat free.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We took our kids on a two week road trip around Florida and this was one of our first stops. WOW what a cute place! I read some reviews and saw it could be very busy, so we decided it would be best to arrive at 800AM (opening time) and I'm SO glad we did. Despite visiting on a weekday, it was still very busy! We did not have to wait, but shortly after our arrival the restaurant was on a wait.

The waitress (I wish I could remember her name) was amazing. She helped us figure out what would be the best order for our family and was absolutely perfect. The pancakes were delicious (we had sides of pecans and chocolate chips) and everything was very reasonably priced.

We also ended up ordering food from their take-out window at lunch time and they have VERY reasonably priced burgers/hot dogs (including vegetarian friendly stuff!). I would highly recommend this place and we for sure plan on visiting with our kids at least once or twice next summer.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I've visited this state park and restaurant several times.

The main feature of the restaurant is their DIY all-you-can-eat pancakes. They bring you two different kinds of batter, multi-grain and regular. Then you get to cook them on a griddle that is built into the middle of your table. You can order 'toppings' to go with your pancakes. Each topping is an extra charge, so if two people like the same toppings, you may just want to order one topping and share.

I have to say that I am not a fan of pancakes at all. I don't like out of the box mix and I really don't care for them elsewhere. But here, at Old Sugar Mill Restaurant, the pancakes are amazing. I usually order a side of bacon and a topping of choc chip and mix both in my pancakes. Super delicious. They now offer gluten free and vegan options for batter, too.

You can also cook french toast on the griddle as well. But, if you're not a big breakfast food fan, there are other items on the menu, like burgers and sandwiches.

If you're just going to the park to eat, I recommend getting there early. It's a small place and spaces fill up fast. There is usually an hour or more wait if you're not there early. We generally like to make a day out of it by putting our name in for the restaurant then hike the trails, swim in the springs, kayak or take the boat ride so the wait is irrelevant to us.

Side note: There is not air-conditioning and the griddles make the table even warmer, so keep that in mind with the weather and time of day you're eating there if you don't like heat. Or cool off in the springs before/after your meal.

1  Thank Nissa M
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Omg, when the waiter told me after i asked him what do u do with the batter, do you throw it out because that is ashame, the reason i asked because i wanted to take rest home but your not allowed. So he proceeded to tell me they recycle meaning when u dont finish batter they give change pitcher and place old batter back in. Then give to the next table. Really!!!!! Watered down syrup to! Guess there trying to save money. I was just in shock. I called the health department. that is not healthy and it sits out in the heat. I almost puked. Go at your own risk!

3  Thank mdgoncalves