Kilmory Resort
US$119
Clarenville Inn(Clarenville)
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
Woody Island Resort(Woody Island)
  • Breakfast included
Arnold's Cove Inn(Arnold's Cove)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Where to begin. A large group of us rented 4 cabins together on July 26th and 27th. We stayed in cabin 11. The first thing we noticed was that there was no Wi-Fi available in our cabin but seemed to be working in the other 3. Then we noticed that the TV was not working. This normally would not be a big deal but we had 3 children with us aged 3 to 11 so it was a big deal. The third thing we noticed was that the hot tub was leaking. We had paid extra for the room with the hot tub but were unable to use it. I will say that the resort did refund the extra cost associated with the rental of a room with a hot tub BUT we wanted a hot tub. The next thing that happened and this was the biggest issue was our 11 year old son cutting his head. He was over playing by the playground area and lifted the cover on a garbage bin to look inside. The cover of the bin had several long screws sticking down and when he looked inside he cut his head to the point where he probably should have got a couple of stiches. Luckily we had a nurse with us and she shaved that part of his head and put some Steri strips on the cut to hold it together. He will definitely have a large scar on his head. My wife has taken pictures of the cut and the garbage lid but felt it was not appropriate to post them here.Finally the last thing was the dirt in the water when we went to give our 3 year old a bath. The rest of us never noticed it when we were showering but did when we started to fill the tub. This Resort is very nice but certainly has to fix a few things before our group will consider returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chris M
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We rented an A-Frame cabin for one night for a family of 6. We arrived at Kilmory Resort and were told before we arrived that we could possibly have a choice in one of the newer A-Frame cabins. When we arrived there we were told that the only clean cabin was one of the older A-Frames so we reluctantly agreed. Now when my Mother made the confirmation we were told that we would have available Wifi, Cable, & a Hot Tub.

Upon arrival of the cabin it was overlooking the water and looked very nice (due to the highly dry wooded area we weren't able to have a fire). We unlocked the door and walked in and looked around at the 1980'esque furniture. We went upstairs to look at the hot tub. We were unpleasantly surprised that our "hot tub" was nothing more then a jetted tub out in the open, we have the same bathtub at home. If that wasn't bad enough we had spotty cable which wasn't a bad thing but one thing we were told was available throughout the resort was Wifi. One of our party members was working on a paper and needed Wifi to email her paper but when we tried we couldn't get at all, with a laptop, iPad, iPhone and a Android phone. So we drove to the main office and explained that we didn't have Wifi, spotty cable and not enough towels for swimming or for showering (you'd expect if they have a party of 6 they would assume we would all want to shower). They were prompt in getting our towels and a man came down to look at our Wifi and thankfully our party member was able to get on through Wifi although she couldn't move from the kitchen table or she would loose signal. Everyone else couldn't get on so we were out of luck.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone looking for a 5 star or even a 4 star accommodation. The beauty of the place is amazing but from the amount of traffic they apparently get they should spend the money on updating everything or at least the bare minimum practice what they preach. If they say they have Wifi, Hot Tubs, etc. then have those amenities and not a jetted tub and stay-put-or-you-will-loose-signal Wifi.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jurotbrom
Roger J, Owner at Kilmory Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Thank-you for your review on TripAdvisor. I take all reviews very seriously and use them to improve our customer service.
I do remember your groups stay here as I was the person who looked after and corrected your Wi-Fi issues which resolved around the firewall on the lady’s computer. I was happy to take the time to alleviate the problem.
Your group of six stayed in our 2 bedroom chalet # 11 and I’m a bit surprised with a couple of your comments on the cottage as we have totally renovated and refurnished this cottage and most others in the last 6 months.
In the last 6 months Chalet #11 has had a new pull-out couch, new upholstered chair, two new pillow top queen beds, a new 32” flat screen TV, new kitchen table and chairs, new stove, new fridge, new front windows, new door, new flooring and new patio deck.
It has also been completely re-stained inside and out.
Chalet #11 is one of our most popular as it’s secluded, down over a hill and has a great view. Our regular customer’s request this chalet again and again but because of its seclusion some devices such as I phones and I pads may have a problem connecting to the WiFi repeater located in chalet #13.
We are working to fix this problem.
I’m sorry there was confusion on the hot tub / whirlpool question, nowhere in our marketing do we advertise a “Hot Tub” we do advertise “whirlpool tubs” in our deluxe chalets and that is what is in chalet #11. I’m sorry if there was some misunderstanding on this when your mother booked the cottage.
Thank-you for your comments and suggestions.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed in Cabin #3 for one night. The view was absolutely stunning. The surrounding trees provide enough covered for privacy. Sounds of birds and sights of Bald eagles are frequent.

The cabin was very nice and spacious for 2 people, it was equipped with the basics for cooking, appliances were fine and the BBQ was perfect.

The pool was so warm and clean, I did not want to leave. we were also the only people there, which made it very nice.

2 Things to remember when traveling here:
1. The WiFi connection is very weak and was unusable. I walked around the road of the other cabins trying all the connections. It seemed to come and go.
Same for cell phone coverage.
2. There is nowhere to buy groceries. The nearest convenience store is in North Harbour.
Luckily we were prepared.
Kilmory does provide some take out food, but I recommend bringing lots of food.
Especially condiments, cooking oil and such.

My only recommendation to staff would simply be to provide each cabin with a non-stick frying pan.

All in all, wonderful place I would recommend and will stay again.
You are not going to such a beautiful place to stare at your phones or watch tv.
The cabin is what it is, a place to rest your head between the hiking, boating and sightseeing.

Room Tip: Cabin #3 has a southern facing deck, for full sun exposure, looking over the water.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Visited this place recently,we were a group of six,my wife,her two sisters,her mother,and a brother-in-law.We arrived around 5:00PM.Check in went smoothly especially since the lady at the front desk turned out to be the first cousin of my mother-in-law. Everybody knows everybody in Newfoundland!Anyway after the cousins had reunited we got the key to the Chalet.Very nice chalet comfortably accommodating our group.Chalets are beautifully located on the Pipers Hole River,the scenery is truly spectacular!!We enjoyed a nice walk down to the pier on the river,a lovely warm late afternoon,there is a nice swimming pool down by the river too!We had a nice BBQ later on the Chalet Deck,nice deck overlooking the river with lots of outdoor seating!After dinner we had a great game of cards!!We all had a nice bed to sleep on.Next morning we had a great breakfeast courtesy of the resourcefulness of this great family of women!This is a great place to enjoy a night any time of the year!My wife and I are planning to come back just the two of us!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Oh my. Everytime I come to Kilmory, I see beautiful eagles soaring about. Truly magnificent birds. Cottage 19 is where we stayed and if I didn't know better, I would have sworn we were in a log cabin tucked far away into the woods. We had an incredible two night stay. Strawberry Daiquiris never tasted so sweet as we watched the flow of Swift Current from our deck. Our fully equipped cottage even had a blender supplied to us by the owner to mix our yummy drinks. I slept like a baby in the cozy upstairs bedroom which had a large window overlooking the water. I must congratulate the management and team on being meticulously clean and tidy.
Yup, this is truly a Lovers retreat. I have seen a seal floating down the river on a piece of ice, eagles and a little squirrel paid us a visit in the morning. I can't wait til my next trip back here!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple