“Average experience”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
“Average experience”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Arrived after midnight on a weeknight. Mixed feelings about seeing a security guard protecting the lobby - it's nice to know that someone is there keeping it safe, but at the same time disappointing that such measures are needed. Check-in was average speed and not overly friendly. Second floor room was pretty clean and upgraded with good quality furnishings (granite top vanity, laminate wood floors, etc.) Good power outlet access and comfortable bed. Had an issue connecting to the hotel WI-FI that was resolved with a call to technical support (hotel's equipment needed to be reset.)

Where the quality really fell down was with noise. The hotel is located relatively close to a rail line that is busy with freight trains and Tri-Rail traffic. Also, noise from the hallways was especially loud in the rooms. The noise of room doors slamming, kids making noise, etc echoes up and down throughout the entire hallway. This caused my colleague (who was staying in a nearby room) and I to both be repeatedly awakened starting in the early morning. The hallways have minimal carpeting, fabric, etc. to attenuate this noise.

I did not eat breakfast but my colleague commented that it was "unremarkable." Lack of friendly service and the excessive noise level were drawbacks that need to be corrected. We would not likely consider staying again unless absolutely necessary.

Room Tip: Even number rooms face away from the parking lot. Be aware of train noise and hallway noise - earplu...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable. When you are on the road, is that not all you need?
Staff was friendly and helpful, location is convenient to I95 and beach.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank shaunc64
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I have been staying in hotels for almost 40 years and I am left almost speechless by what happened here.

We received free tickets to a concert in West Palm Beach so decided to make a mini vacation out of it. I booked 3 nights at La Quinta Inn & Suites Deerfield Beach I-95. It’s about a half hour drive to the concert but we wanted to be located about midway between Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm.

In the last few years, we’ve experienced some very severe financial hardships and this has led to occasional “discussions” / arguments between me and my husband. We’ve been married for almost 40 years and who can stay married that long without an occasional spat?

On the first night of our stay here, we unfortunately got into one of these “discussions”. Now, perhaps because of our age we have become hard of hearing but we honestly did not think we had gotten loud enough to disturb anyone else. If we did disturb someone else we deeply regret that. However we feel this La Quinta’s staff’s response to this was completely inappropriate and we doubt that it was even legal (For such an inexpensive hotel, however, who’s going to consult a lawyer?).

Although we have never before been the subject of a complaint, we have on occasion complained about noise from another hotel room (i.e. – loud music, excessive partying, etc.). The “normal” response in most hotels is to send security to the scene and explain that there has been a complaint and could the guests please refrain from the offending behavior. They might also offer to move the complaining guest elsewhere. I do recall one time several years ago we had the misfortune to be on the same floor as some sort of teenage convention. They were playing very loud music at about 3 am and smoking God knows what in the hallways. We called the front desk more than once. Each time security came up they quieted down for a few minutes but as soon as security left they started up again. The hotel management said they could not move us because they were 100% booked. The only action taken by the hotel was to summon internal security. We did not get a lot of sleep that night but we did get a certificate for a future free night with that hotel chain.

Let’s get back to our “discussion”. We were standing near the wall A/C unit. My husband lost his balance and banged his head on the unit. My husband is in his late seventies. He had polio in his legs as a teenager and has almost no muscle in one leg. As he has gotten older he loses his balance more frequently and unfortunately falls more frequently. This past month he has fallen three times. The last time he fell coming out of the shower and banged his head. I had to drag him kicking and screaming to the Emergency room – he being the typical male insisted everything was just fine.

In any event, we had ordered a pizza so when there was a knock at our door we thought it was the pizza delivery. When we opened the door we were shocked to see three uniformed and armed police officers.

I want to stress that the management of this La Quinta made absolutely no attempt to contact us prior to this. They did not call us or send security to advise us that there was any problem. If the staff had followed what is typical protocol in most hotels I’m sure this would have been resolved in an amicable manner.

Ok, so now, because of the unexpected arrival of three uniformed and armed police officers the atmosphere becomes scary and almost hostile. They explained they were there because the hotel management called them. They also noticed that my husband’s head was bleeding and without asking us called paramedics. When the paramedics arrived they asked us to come down to the lobby to have them look at my husband. Well, we thought since they were already here, why not?

While we were in the lobby I had to step away for a minute. When I returned, an officer was asking my husband if he wanted to be taken to the hospital. To my surprise he said yes. This is very surprising for two reasons – this is the same man who absolutely did not want to go to the Emergency room one week prior and secondly, we absolutely could not afford an ambulance to the hospital. The hospital was just a five minute drive away and I could easily have driven him there myself. I found out the next morning that the reason my husband agreed was that while I stepped away the police officer told my husband that if he did not have his head looked at right away, he might not wake up in the morning.

At this point it was well after midnight. The front desk staff person then told me that she was cancelling my pre-paid reservations from Expedia and that I was to vacate the premises immediately. She insisted that the security guard accompany me to my room while I packed. She said if I did not leave immediately she would call the police again and have me arrested for trespassing. I said how can I be trespassing when I prepaid for three nights and this was the first night? She told me to take it up with Expedia (what does Expedia have to do with this?).

I was really scared and the security guard did not look friendly at all. I was just beside myself at that point. I’m an elderly woman all alone (my husband was off to the hospital) and I could not believe this woman was kicking me out in the middle of the night from a hotel that was fully paid for. I didn’t even think what she was doing was legal but since she was threatening with the police again I did as she insisted.

Back in the hotel room the guard was just giving me a “hurry up” look. My husband and I do not travel light. We had several very heavy suitcases and coolers. My husband always lifts these. I’m in very poor health so putting these on the luggage cart was a real effort for me. I asked the guard if he could help me and his reply was “it’s not my job”. I was rushing like crazy and in my haste I grabbed my earrings that were on the counter and hastily threw them in the outside pocket of my purse (These were my all time favorite earrings purchased many years ago for $2,000 at a time in my life when I could afford $2,000 for a pair of earrings. I discovered later that morning that one of the earrings was lost.).

Again, loading up the car, the guard refused to help me. I then drove to the hospital. After a CAT Scan, it was determined that the results were negative. There really was no serious emergency.

So as a result of this La Quinta’s mismanagement we are stuck with the bill for the ambulance, I lost a $2,000 pair of earrings (one earring doesn’t really cut it), we lost three days pre-paid lodging and worst of all, we are thrown out in the middle of the night with nowhere to sleep.

I just could not believe that the staff at La Quinta was capable of this.

We live three hours drive from the La Quinta and were too tired and traumatized to drive home. We found a PUBLIX and parked in the lot and tried to sleep a couple of hours. We were too drained to drive home and the concert was that evening. When it was sun up, we found a decent hotel that had free internet service in the lobby. We decided that we had to use money reserved for life and auto insurance to book a room. Priceline seemed the least expensive option but we had to name our own price for at least a 3 star hotel for fear Priceline would put us in the same hotel we were just kicked out of. We did manage to get a very good price for a nice Hilton nearby but again, this was money we really could not afford to spend.

All in all, this was just the most horrible hotel experience in my life. I just can't comprehend how the staff could act like this.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Val V

Travellers are raving about these Deerfield Beach hotels

Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Exept a courteous security guard, the personel in this hotel are unprofessional. Maintainance is very low: We had to swich from the king we reserve to 2 double, because it smell like urine. In the 2 double, the shower curtain was black with mold along the bottom. In the breakfast room juice machine does not work was the only explanation from the breakfast clerk. Heater does not work in pool; too many problem in one place and one day...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank trateling
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Excellent value for money. I could not believe that the motel only had 2 ½ stars. The entire building is very clean, my room was large and well equipped and the breakfast they served was nice as well.
I will definitely stay again, next time, with my family.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2010

Unless we're treating ourselves, we usually stay at one of the Wyndham Rewards chain motels. We expected La Quinta to be a bit more upmarket than Days Inn etc but didn't find it to be worth the extra cost.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 26 April 2010

The hotel is very easy to find, it's right off of I-95.
We checked in late at night with no problems at all. The room was very clean. The AC had been set it about 60F so it was a bit freezing in there but it soon warmed up once we set it higher.
The room was a bit small but more than enough room for 2 people and a dog.
The bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows to choose from, so no matter what style of pillow you enjoy, you should be able to find one to your liking.
My only interaction with the staff was one of the cleaning ladies. It seems she is very scared of dogs. When she came to clean the room and saw our dog (very cute and fluffy, loves everyone) she took off running and no one returned. I felt rather bad she was so scared and since we were only staying a few nights, it wasn't a big deal at all.
It's about a 10 min drive to the beach from the hotel, I'd suggest trying to get there before the hour or half hour as that's when the bridge is up which backs up traffic pretty bad.
There are trains the go past near by but I only heard them a few times and never while sleeping.
If you're looking for a clean, comfortable, and affordable hotel near the beach, I'd recoomend this one.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple