“Some good, some not so good...but the clerks tried hard to please”

La Quinta Inn Deerfield Beach I-95 at Hillsboro E
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I arrived at the hotel about 3:30 PM after a long and very draining journey, made worse by rain and lots of traffic. I was very tired. I wasn't sure where the hotel office was since there is no sign on the front of the hotel. I did not have a good feeling when I saw two police cars in the rear parking lot.
When I went to the desk, I had to wait while the clerk took care of another person. Although I had made a reservation long before the arrival date, the clerk informed me that she was having trouble finding a room for me because not all rooms were ready yet and they were overbooked. Finally, she decided on a first-floor room in building 2. As soon as I opened the door, I realized that people had been smoking in that room. I told her I could not stay in that room. She then gave me the key for a room near the first one. That also had an odor, although not as bad as the first. I was ready to search elsewhere for accommodations. However, when I returned to the desk, the clerk said that a cancellation had come in that that she could give me a room on the first floor in building 1, where smoking is not allowed. I checked it out and it seemed okay so I accepted it.
The room was nicely decorated and clean. However, there were no parking spaces available near that room, so I had to park my car between Wendy's and the front office. I then had to make several trips to the car to get everything into the room.
Since there was no refrigerator in the room, I needed ice for my cooler. I was directed to an ice machine on the second floor - very inconvenient (and potentially dangerous) for an elderly person. Later, I was informed that there was a first floor ice machine in building 2 - much easier to deal with although requiring a bit of a walk, which was difficult because the ice-laden cooler was heavy.
Breakfast was included in the room rate. However, almost every food they provided was made from flour, Since I am gluten intolerant, I was limited to juice, coffee, a hard boiled egg, and a fruit.
I had a couple of problems in the room. One evening, when I tried to find out what the weather might me for the next day, most of the TV channels were "unavailable." I could get only four channels and the only good one was PBS. The next day, the electrical outlet at the writing desk was not operating. Fortunately, these two issues were taken care of promptly. On the positive side, Internet access was available and easy to log onto.
One potential problem that could not be corrected was the amount of light in the room. I believe that this room had more sources of light than most hotels I have stayed at. I was fortunate to have a sleep mask so I could sleep soundly. However, there was one good source of light: the lighted switches for the sink and lavatory areas. I was able to get to the bathroom safely at night without turning on a light.
During my last night at the hotel, I again had to park between Wendy's and the office and walk to my room. The next morning, I again had to make several trips from my room to the car to load my personal belongings.

Room Tip: If you prefer more privacy, try to get a room above the first floor, If you don't smoke, request...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there just for a night because we had a flight out to Jamaica in the am. We read really bad reviews about the hotel but just really needed a bed to sleep in before our trip. When we first arrived it actually seemed ok but once we went to the back of the hotel where our room was it was a different story. There was sketchy people hanging right around our room but we still pushed through and checked it out. Once we were inside I was just upset with it . I know I cheaped on our room but it was seriously bad. The popcorn ceiling was bubbled and falling off everywhere and the place smelt like mildew and very musty . It just screamed renovation haha. Also very dirty, obviously the maids don't really care. I went up front and asked for a room possibly upfront. She smiled and said no problem and then went on to tell me that they have been renovated the front and working there way back . I was just confused on why they would put me in the back when they obviously had newly renovated rooms upfront. Our new room reminded me more of the La Quinta standard and was able to get some sleep. This hotel is ok if you just make sure you get a newly renovated room. The breakfast in the morning was one of the worst I've ever had offered at a La Quinta.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MattA450
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This motel is old and shows its age. My main complaint is the noise. The walls did little to dampen the noise. The price was right and the breakfast was adequate. The location was suitable for a stay before driving to the Ft. Lauderdale airport.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The 2d story room was quite nice, with a combination of standard and French windows. The rates were quite very competitive. Situated at the rear of a Wendy's did detract from its ambience, and the road sign is subordinate to Wendy's, which can cause a driving guest to initially miss the sign.

I previously stayed at Sheraton - Ft Lauderdale which charges extra per day for parking, and internet service. That makes La Quinta

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel is good for the price that we pay!
Good beds, good service...
So, I really don't have anything bad to say about it!
I liked the breakfast, but I think in Brazil is so much better...
The people who work there is so attentive! I recommend to all!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank Fagner C. A
Reviewed 16 October 2013

There was nothing great about this hotel. It was your standard hotel with a basic continental breakfast. Room could use a bit of updating. Rusty hinges. Also the shower head was below my head. It did make it difficult to shower.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We have been staying at La Quinta hotels throughout the southeast, and this one was a surprise disappointment. We requested a room with a fridge and microwave, and instead, got a room with two double beds, no fridge or microwave; a shower that was obviously meant for toddlers with a soap dish so low it was almost in the tub; one packet of coffee so we shared a cup at night; one container of shampoo; three towels and only one wash cloth; the door handle to our room was extremely loose - we really didn't have that secure feeling. Couldn't wait for breakfast, but were sad to see no yogurt, minimal fruit and no hot chocolate. When housekeeping came, she quickly did the beds up, emptied trash and sprayed the bathroom counter - the place smelled like old urine after she "cleaned". We had to leave the room while it "aired out". We're the sure the manager was doing her best, but it seemed like expenses were spared with this location. Next time, we will be staying at another hotel down the road.

Room Tip: Choose another location while they address renovation issues at this one.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business