La Quinta Inn Deerfield Beach I-95 at Hillsboro E
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Deerfield Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wi-Fi sucks”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Do not stay here if you want to get anything done on the Wi-Fi. The PING is not bad 29ms, but the download 0.96 Mbps and the upload 0.16 Mbps. I could practically go to my dial-up modem from 15 years ago and get better speed. they are lying this is not free high-speed Internet.

Other than that the rooms are relatively clean, a little on the run downside. I think that dog was chewing on my headboard. At least I hope it was a dog, room 333.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank GregKnott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Annandale, VA
Reviewed 8 February 2014

First, it's hard to find, but that can be a good thing. It has exterior corridors and room just didn't seem clean. Didn't seem well cared for, although a decent sized room. Was old and worn and not very inviting. Wouldn't stay there again.

1 Thank Ibyke
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Ok, as background I stay in numerous (180 nights plus per year) hotels. This is not the worst I've ever stayed at, but very close. Wife and I needed a room outside Miami, and I told her after searching other places "La Quintas are typically very consistent", can't go wrong for the price, which was $129 that night. Oh my was I wrong. The first floor room was even before we opened it quite interesting. Door handle not quite secure, cracks all around the perimeter of the outside facing room, high fenced walls greeted the adjacent strip mall, caging their AC unit. Really? Who cages their AC unit? Obviously red flags went up.

Suspended caution, and entered room 112, which was an ADA room. Ok, I've stayed in them as well. Not a big deal. Walk in, smells musty, odd, but appears clean. Continue in, and first 5 minutes we find 3 cockroaches. Ok, we collect them, dump them outside, and return. I understand "Palmetto Bugs" are prevalent in FL. But after we went out for dinner, two more were in our room on our return. Found one that crawled under the flat screen TV apparently permanently affixed to the dresser (not uncommon in hotels) however I tried to flush it out with the key card packet, and what came out was horribly disgusting. Black, nasty, filthy crap, but no cockroach. Must have made an escape there. Looked under lamp just right of the TV, looked horrid, like it wasn't cleaned in months! Black, nasty crap caked on the surface. It's really not hard to clean under a lamp.

I suspended normal caution, checking constantly, and finding more roaches that retreated to the wall sockets, under the TV, etc. woke up in the morning with a roach we named George, who was crawling all around the ceiling. At least it was up there, not around us. Ever the optimists we got ready, with more roach sightings, and went to get some coffee from the breakfast bar. I'm used to crappy hotel coffee, but this took the prize. Scalding hot flavorless crap came out of the spout. The creamer must have spoiled, and not kept well.

So in summary, if you want a overpriced LaQuinta that has roaches on the first floor rooms at least (really how hard is it to spray? Especially a freaking hotel?????) then please, stay here. Expect to over pay. For example we stayed on the beach with a beautiful two room suite in Melbourne, FL for less then this place.

The front desk clerk was friendly.

Be advised!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe K
Toronto
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Came here for a business trip. Booked non-smoking room but room has strong smoke odor. Besides receptionist is very Rude as they are chatting all the time. Room looks cheap and dirty. Look for another place! I am glad that I am only staying here one night. Avoid at all cost!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mkohei
Hillsdale, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I never let my bare feet touch the ground. I hated the cat walk to the room. I refused to shower after seeing the inside of the tub/shower combination. Breakfast was awful. When asking about room rates, be careful. What they quote over the phone vs when you walk in will be different. Make sure you get the name of the person you spoke with. Totally a scuzzed out feeling.

3 Thank BarbaraSS
NJcpltrvl
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Booked online for 2 nights (Jan 17-19, 2014) but left after 1 night. Desk clerks are not polite. Place is run down and rooms smell. If you stay towards the front, you hear the Wendy's drive thru all night. The whole place needs to be updated. Did not feel safe there at all !
Ended up staying at Holiday In Express in Dania Beach and it was well worth the money which was not really much more.

2 Thank NJcpltrvl
Inverness, FL
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I arrived at the hotel about 3:30 PM after a long and very draining journey, made worse by rain and lots of traffic. I was very tired. I wasn't sure where the hotel office was since there is no sign on the front of the hotel. I did not have a good feeling when I saw two police cars in the rear parking lot.
When I went to the desk, I had to wait while the clerk took care of another person. Although I had made a reservation long before the arrival date, the clerk informed me that she was having trouble finding a room for me because not all rooms were ready yet and they were overbooked. Finally, she decided on a first-floor room in building 2. As soon as I opened the door, I realized that people had been smoking in that room. I told her I could not stay in that room. She then gave me the key for a room near the first one. That also had an odor, although not as bad as the first. I was ready to search elsewhere for accommodations. However, when I returned to the desk, the clerk said that a cancellation had come in that that she could give me a room on the first floor in building 1, where smoking is not allowed. I checked it out and it seemed okay so I accepted it.
The room was nicely decorated and clean. However, there were no parking spaces available near that room, so I had to park my car between Wendy's and the front office. I then had to make several trips to the car to get everything into the room.
Since there was no refrigerator in the room, I needed ice for my cooler. I was directed to an ice machine on the second floor - very inconvenient (and potentially dangerous) for an elderly person. Later, I was informed that there was a first floor ice machine in building 2 - much easier to deal with although requiring a bit of a walk, which was difficult because the ice-laden cooler was heavy.
Breakfast was included in the room rate. However, almost every food they provided was made from flour, Since I am gluten intolerant, I was limited to juice, coffee, a hard boiled egg, and a fruit.
I had a couple of problems in the room. One evening, when I tried to find out what the weather might me for the next day, most of the TV channels were "unavailable." I could get only four channels and the only good one was PBS. The next day, the electrical outlet at the writing desk was not operating. Fortunately, these two issues were taken care of promptly. On the positive side, Internet access was available and easy to log onto.
One potential problem that could not be corrected was the amount of light in the room. I believe that this room had more sources of light than most hotels I have stayed at. I was fortunate to have a sleep mask so I could sleep soundly. However, there was one good source of light: the lighted switches for the sink and lavatory areas. I was able to get to the bathroom safely at night without turning on a light.
During my last night at the hotel, I again had to park between Wendy's and the office and walk to my room. The next morning, I again had to make several trips from my room to the car to load my personal belongings.

Room Tip: If you prefer more privacy, try to get a room above the first floor, If you don't smoke, request...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo