“Exceptional Stay”
Review of Hotel DeFuniak

Hotel DeFuniak
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This old B&B takes you back in time with superb hospitality and antique decor. Each room has a theme. A cozy fireplace in the lobby warms you from the cool air outside (during the winter). You feel like royalty from the moment you walk in. Tom, the owner of the B&B, called to make dinner reservations at the adjoining restaurant, Bogeys. The owner of Bogeys gave us a wonderful Scottish greeting, and the food was incredibly good, from the house salad dressing, to the bread, to the grouper and fresh vegetables (no good vegetarian options). Lee, one of the receptionists at Hotel "DeFun", as we nicknamed it, took great care of us, providing beverages and snacks. We had a delightful evening chatting by the fireplace with our glasses of wine for a little pre-meal entertainment. Free wi-fi and breakfast was a wonderful perk. This was no ordinary complementary breakfast and they made certain to accommodate the fact that we were vegetarian. They are willing to accommodate any diet restriction. Beautiful lake and downtown history near by. Definitely plan to go back when I can walk around and actually go into all the shops (closed on Sunday).

Room Tip: Ask about the different room themes and pick the one that suits you. All beds are either queen or ki...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were happy to discover The Hotel DeFuniak and to meet the wonderful people who run it and work there. The historic building is full of character, and each room has it's own personality. Our room was pretty small, but it was nice. Our adult children were in the suite with two rooms. It was a little more spacious and worked out perfectly. We enjoyed each breakfast we had, as the food was delicious. The adjoining restaurant was bustling with guests who were all enjoying themselves. Since we were not eating a meal, we sat at the bar and had a wonderful time chatting with the owner/bartender.

Although I have been visiting my father in DeFuniak Springs for years, the charm of the area was never brought to my attention. The historic downtown area is quaint and the lake is a beautiful setting for walking. My family enjoyed our stay very much and look forward to coming back soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Katina J
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel DeFuniak on Christmas Eve 2013. We found the hotel’s history and character engaging, the parlor enticing, and the bed so comfortable I didn’t want to get up in the morning! We had arrived exhausted from highway driving on a chilly winter day and the parlor's warm fire was welcoming. I lingered there after dinner, chatting with the proprietor, Tom, before retiring to my room. I must also say the morning breakfast is a standout—simple, elegant, and thoroughly delicious! It was a wonderful change from the fast-food breakfasts and hotel buffets that we typically get when traveling. I look forward to visiting Hotel DeFuniak again.

Room Tip: We were very comfortable in the room we were assigned on the second floor,
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Wonderful surprise, the internet photos don't do this place justice. Extremely clean, well decorated and very comfortable. Thr owners walk you through some history of the building, even shown to the room, that is rare! I will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank everymilesamemory
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We went in w no expectations and just wanted to break up our 17 hr trip. Just like the reviews said, Tom and Pam were absolute sweethearts and made us feel right at home. As a matter of fact, Tom set up our reservation for dinner at Bogeys on his own accord, which I thought was so kind and helpful. We arrived to a lit fire in the hotel lobby. So nice and warm and welcoming. He called the restaurant(conveniently connected) to let them know we arrived and would be over in a few. We truly felt like royalty. The food was great and breakfast the next morning did not disappoint either. Tanell and Brian (staff) were just as nice and Brian gave us a tour of the upstairs and I took pictures of the rooms with antiques and then he took us over to the speak easy right next door before we departed. Hotel DeFuniak is so charming and quaint and the inn keepers and staff are awesome. So glad we got to visit this 1920's gem and we will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AEstatico
HotelDefuniak, Manager at Hotel DeFuniak, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your kind words in your review. We really enjoyed having you and your family stay with us. Hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

All our road trips to Florida take us pass DeFuniak Springs...we always stop there, we love the community but the Hotel DeFuniak is the driving force pulling us off I-10. My wife and I
are always amazed by the friendly or helpful staff that consistently greets us even before we
arrive. The Hotel DeFuniak redefines excellent customer service...we especially enjoy the very cozy and friendly downstairs parlor where guests seem to gather for fellowship each evening.
Upstairs each room is unique in it's furnishings offering a very comfortable and restful
night of sleep. In summary, the Hotel DeFuniak makes all this look so easy but being fairly
well traveled I conclude my review...this style of hospitality is extremely hard to find!

Room Tip: Let the staff pick the perfect room for you....
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

My husband and I have visited the Hotel for several years and it only gets better. We love going in December to see the Christmas lights.....a must see.
Tom, Pam, Tannell and Brian are the best host you could ever wish for. We have only been home a week and I'm already missing my home away from home.

Room Tip: We loved the executive suite downstairs....it's our room of choice.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple