“Stetson Mansion Tour”
Review of Stetson Mansion

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My wife and I toured the Stetson Mansion on Valentines Day. The tour is well worth the price of admission. One of the owners (TJ) hijacked the tour ,as they sometimes do,and delighted everyone with the history of the mansion. The lighthearted tour was very informative and interesting at the same time. As an added bonus all of the women on the tour got a red carnation to celebrate Valentines Day.If you get to the Orlando Florida area a side trip to DeLand would be well worth the time.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2013

Thank you so much for your visit and wonderful review Lance! Michael and I have done our best to preserve and share all the wonder that the mansion has to offer and we love hearing from folks like yourself that help validate all our effort. We are only 40 minutes from Orlando and one of these days we look forward to sharing the Stetson Mansion with so many more guests from around the world!! Thank you again for your support!

Reviewed 14 February 2013

Great tour of first two floors; third floor $10 more. Tour given by owners, JT and Michael. They've done a marvelous job restoring the 1886 mansion. The tour was very interesting and entertaining. This is a must see, if you're anywhere near Deland.

Thank you so much for visiting the Stetson Mansion and posting a review! We greatly appreciate it! I understand that you may feel that the mansion tour is pricey but comparatively we are actually a fair value. Unfortunately because of the rising costs for maintenance and upkeep the rate increase was mandatory. Thank you again for choosing to tour the Stetson Mansion and for giving us a top rating!

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I have been on several tours at the Mansion, attended private events and had an event of my own here! And yes, it feels like home! JT & Michael are very gracious hosts and make you feel like family! Their love of sharing The Mansion with everyone is infectious and very contagious, for I am now in love with her too!!! I am sooo looking forward to the events planned for 2013 and I hope to see YOU at The Mansion! Florida's best kept secret is getting out - so hurry & book your tour!!!

1  Thank 124Suzanne1961

Suzanne we are so excited that you have such a passion for the history, beauty and grandeur of the Stetson Mansion. You are so right..the secret is slowly but surely getting out and because of this we hope to welcome thousands and thousands of more vistitors to experience the magic of the mansion. Welcome aboard!!

Reviewed 12 February 2013

The Stetson Mansion is truly a must-see attraction. If you are anywhere in the Deland area, go on the tour! The owne, JT, proudly shared the mansion he now calls home. The restoration of this 10,000 square foot house, was a labor of love. Built in 1886 by John B. Stetson, it was Florida's first luxury home. The owners' attention to detail and the integrity of the architecture is remarkable. The floors and woodwork are reason enough to visit. We loved JT's enthusiasm and look forward to going back to see the house when it is decorated for Christmas!

I still get excited when I know I will be leading a tour and that enthusiasm carries over onto my tours! Thank you for letting me share the mansion and all its grandeur with you! Every morning I wake up I am still wowed by the floors in the mansion! They truly are a work of art!! Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone and we look forward to seeing back at the Stetson Mansion next Christmas!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

My girlfriend, her husband and I were lucky to take a bus tour to the Stetson Mansion, Stetson University and the Deland, Florida courthouse.If anyone live in Florida or visits Florida, this is a must see..The mansion itself was built by the owner of the Stetson Hat Company and is three stories tall. It was scheduled for demolition after its original owners passed on. Two young men purchased this totally empty home and proceeded to furnish it with their own finances, sometimes finding authentic antiques or amazing replicas. They got donations for appliances, heat and air units and other items. We were fortunate to view the estate during the Christmas season where each room is miraculously transformed with decorations of the most unique proportions.
Mr. Stetson had also requested that a schoolhouse be built for his young family to use during their stay (he had brought along a teacher for his children) and this too is decorated for the season..One of the two owners takes it upon himself to decorate the entire estate as well as do the cooking and cleaning (since he and his partner do reside there full-time),There is also a most tranquail garden on the premises that should not be missed.
Our tour continued on to Stetson University where besides viewing all the buildings, we were
treated to a short performance on one of the biggest organs in the world. And afterwards, we were allowed to ask questions of the gentleman who played who was actually a graduate of the University.
Another part of our tour centered on the Deland courthouse which featured original paintings of famous people (both good and criminal) that lived in and around the area..
This area of Florida should not be missed...

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Susan thank you so much for taking a day trip over to visit the Stetson Mansion and our quaint little town of Deland. Your review is so spirited and detailed that it made me want to go on a tour and I live here! lol It is reviews like yours that truly give potential visitors a clear, honest and informative idea of what they can expect to see through your experience. Thank you again for allowing us to share the magic of the Stetson Mansion with yourself and your friends. We appreciate your touring with us and look forward to your return!