“Wow! What a beautiful house with heart!”
Review of Stetson Mansion

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
The Villages, Florida, United States
“Wow! What a beautiful house with heart!”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I toured the Stetson Mansion in DeLand, FL today with my Sorority Sisters. One of the owners, JT Thompson, led our tour. JT's excitement added to our enjoyment of this tour. Not only was the house breathtakingly beautiful for Christmas, but the restoration brought history to the present for us. You could tell that the JT and Michael, the owners, put their heart and soul into the house. It was a pleasure to see that we are preserving history here in Florida. This definitely is a Must See for all!!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Judy you hit the nail on the head, we absolutely poured our heart and soul into the mansion and it is all worth while when folks like you respond like in such an enthusiastic and emotional way. Thank you for your visit and thank you for your review, we appreciate your business and support!

Naples FL, United States
“best kept secret is out”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

my husband and I love to tour homes and while in Orlando I was searching the web and found Stetson Mansion. We booked a tour and wasn't sure what to expect. We were lucky enough to have our tour guide dismissed because one of the owners wanted to guide us. OMG, first the house was done up for Xmas. What a treat. You get to see the whole house that the owners live in. including their bedroom and bath. Lots of history and yes it is the hat man's house. Well worth the $ and time to see this gem. highly recommend to all visiting Orlando or surrounding area.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you so much Suzanne for all your kinds words. Whenever I go on a historic home tour I want to see it all so on our tours I offer a full access tour - I am so happy that you enjoyed yourself. Thanks to people like you one day the Stetson Mansion will be an international attraction that all visitors to Orlando will know about. Have a great holiday season!!
Coral Springs, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Hidden gem that takes you back to the Great Gatsby days”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I made it at just the perfect time of year to catch the Christmas tour of the mansion and it put me in the perfect mood to kick off the season. I was blown away by the care and attention to detail by these decorations. Imagine a functioning ciello and violin adorning a christmas tree in the music room-- and that is only the begining. I don't want to give too much away but let me just say the twenty five bucks is well worth it to tour this wonderfully charming home. What made the tour all the more enjoyable were the tourguides. They know their stuff and besides being very knowledgable about the property you can tell they have passion for it as well. I was fully entertained from begining to finish. I even got the chance to quickly meet one of the homeowners and was taken aback by his graciousness and warm welcoming.

A must-see!!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you so much Amanda for acknowledging our tour guides - they really do make the Stetson Mansion experience come alive! So happy you enjoyed our music inspired reception parlor that I could not have done without the generous support of the Dean of Music at Stetson University. Have a wonderful holiday season!
The Villages, Florida
“"A Day To Remember"”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

A last-minute decision to visit this incredibly beautiful restoration of an old mansion was perfect. The bones of the house were obviously well worth the effort that JT and Michael put forth to make this the amazing house what it is today. We were fortunate to have JT be our tour guide; what we learned from his first-hand experience was well worth the hour-and-half ride from The Villages. The house alone is worth the visit, but we toured during the Christmas season and the way in which the house is decorated is absolutely breathtaking. Not only is each room decorated beautifully, but each has a theme: music, military, women, JT's love of the forest in the 'enchanted forest dining room', Mickey Mouse, and Stetson's wife Elizabeth. JT and Michael are to be commended for bringing this old house back to life!

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Barbara you documented my Christmas influences so beautifully..thank you!! I am so happy that you decided to make the trip over and visit with us at the last moment! :) Stetson Mansion is the largest, grandest most historic home built before the 20th century in the State of Florida and it is still a secret. Hopefully you will join us in spreading the word. Thank you so much for your 5 star review, it means the world to us!
St. Augustine, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A window to the past”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The tour of this beautiful mansion is highly recommended. We not only enjoyed seeing the beautiful Christmas decorations, but we were enthralled with the renovation and restoration of the mansion. The workmanship involved is first class. Our docent was very well informed about the history of the mansion and about the ideas and desires of the new owners when they were doing the remodeling. The grounds and the house are are very welcoming. Don't miss the Stetson Mansion when you are in northern central Florida.

JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Patricia your top rating means a lot to us because after all you are from the nation's oldest city - St Augustine so I am sure you are continually surrounded with history and beauty. Thank you so much for allowing us to share our treasure with you and for being kind enough to write this review. We truly appreciate it.