“unbelievable”
Review of Stetson Mansion

Stetson Mansion
Ranked #1 of 78 things to do in DeLand
More attraction details
Owner description: Stetson Mansion is a spectacular Victorian mansion built for famed hat maker and philanthropist John B Stetson in 1886. Situated right between Orlando and Daytona in DeLand makes it convenient for all visiting the central Florida area. This is Florida's first luxury estate and houses some of the most beautiful and intricate parquet floors in the world. The mansion has hosted such noted guests as President Cleveland, King Edward VII, the Astors, the Vanderbilts, Louis C Tiffany and Thomas Edison. In fact this is one of the first homes in the world to be designed and built with Edison electricity and Mr Edison oversaw the install himself. This is not your typical Victorian mansion though. The owners have painstakingly renovated every square inch of the 10,000 sq foot masterpiece while incorporating today's modern conveniences. All this was done without compromising the architectural or historical integrity. Every room on every one of the three floors is magnificently decorated and every room features a different style floor and window design. There is not one room that is off limits for visitors to see on their guided tour, you get to see it all including the owner's suite and the original 1886 schoolhouse which has been lovingly restored and converted to a "Zen"like cottage. There is also a beautiful meditation garden, gazebo and pool area for visitors to enjoy. Reservations are required $20-$30 per person $10 for children. Payment is cash or check at the door and we do charge applicable sales tax.
florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“unbelievable”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Did not know what to expect when I made reservation to see the mansion but it was so awesome. They did such a great job restoring it and I am so glad they took on the task. It would have been such a shame to see this gem torn down or fallen down. I also think the price is well worth it.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank venetians
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you very much for your visit and your top rated review. We lose amazing architectural and historical gems every year, I just couldn't bear if that happened to the Stetson Mansion. That is the main reason Michael and I stepped in. All the best.

DeLand, Florida
“I felt right at home!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have lived just blocks from this home for some time and have just taken the time to tour this great piece of history. I have seen pictures, but nothing compares to seeing it up close and personal. Our tour guide, Debbie, was friendly, personable and knowledgeable. I felt quite welcome in this beautiful home and never once felt out of place. I walked away from there with a sense of knowledge that I could not gain anywhere else. I thought I was just going to see a beautiful mansion but the history lesson was icing on the cake! I recommend this stop to anyone in the area. The price was well worth the beauty I saw and the things I learned about the area. JT and Michael are so very gracious to open their home for all to see. I can't say enough about this place. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Visited July 2014
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
No thank you Mary! I am so happy that you finally had the opportunity to tour the mansion. Debbie is one of the best tour guide because not only is she knowledgeable but she is passionate about what she does. Every chance that she gets to lead a tour is a chance for her to spread the magic and inspiration of the estate. Michael and I are so incredibly honored that the Stetson Mansion recently been named Florida's Most Popular Tourist Attraction by Trip Advisor! That's all because of folks like you who have posted reviews and spread the word about the mansion to others. Thank you!
DeBary, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Learned a lot, beautiful!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Great history in our back yard. The people that work here are so enthusiastic about the,history of this building and DeLand. It is a must see if you are in the area. We learned so much...ask lots of questions and have time to find out the answers.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank KarinB445
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Karin thank you so much for touring the mansion and allowing us to share all the history and grandeur of Florida's first luxury estate. So many of our guests are pleasantly surprised about just how much we all love touring guests from around the world through the mansion and schoolhouse. Our tour guides all have a love and passion for the mansion and that brings the tours alive. Please continue to help us spread the word by telling friends and families about the Stetson Mansion. Thank you so much for your review!
Orlando, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Forget see you at the Mansion, I am moving in.”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The next time I visit the mansion, I am coming with bags. I was honored to spend my birthday at the mansion that beat out the house of mouse. I brought friends to give them a tour of this gem. They could not thank me enough. JT and Michael make sure that you feel as you are a guest of thiers while touring this glorious art of a home. You will not see the same thing twice. If you are lucky they will even let you swim in the fountain upon your departure ;)...

Visited June 2014
2 Thank melleah h
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Melleah it was my absolute pleasure to have you as a guest at the mansion on your birthday... on one of my tours!! Thank you for choosing the mansion as your place to celebrate with friends. The best compliment we could get is that visitors felt like they were our guests and not just an admission. The Stetson Mansion has recently been named Florida's" Most Popular Tourist Attraction" by TripAdvisor and it is all because of people like you who are kind enough to write reviews and spread the word about the mansion. Thank you again for your visit and I look forward to many more!
Akron, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Stetsons aren't from Texas and many more Interesting Facts!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you are "into" History, Architecture, Decorating, Story-telling and Comedy, then the Tour of the Stetson Mansion in DeLand, FL is for you! Seems like an odd combination of things to experience on a House Tour, no? But, JT, one of the co-owners of the Mansion will hit all those topics I listed, and more. I most appreciated JT's comedic story-telling of the restoration project he and Michael undertook. Clearly, their passion for the project was a perfect match for the grande dame that is the Stetson Mansion. The Mansion deserves such loving owners! My husband, who works with wood most of his days, was duly impressed with all of the gorgeous floors in the mansion. My mother was awe-struck with the Thomas Edison connections throughout the mansion. And I could not stop thinking about how the docents in my hometown, at our local mansion in Akron, OH, called Stan Hywet, could benefit from JT's natural style of hosting a group! You will love this tour!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Akronmouse
JT T, Owner at Stetson Mansion, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you , thank you , thank you!! What a wonderfully spirited review! I am so happy that you enjoyed your tour of the mansion and that I was lucky enough to have a fellow tour guide on one of my owner's tours. The mansion truly is the Grand Dame of Central Florida and thanks to folks like you and your husband the word is spreading about our hidden treasure here in DeLand. When the guys enter through the front doors their eyes are immediately drawn to the spectacular floors and suddenly they love the idea of touring the mansion! lol One of these days I hope to make it to the beautiful and impressive Stan Hywet but until than I will practice my hosting skills. Thanks again for your visit and your 5 star review, please come back again! Cheers!