“Not good... This place is GREAT”
Review of Dally in the Alley Bistro - CLOSED

Dally in the Alley Bistro
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Georgia Avenue
Transit: Votran stop on the corner of Howery and Woodland Blvd.
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Not good... This place is GREAT”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

So I rarely feel passionately enough about a restaurant to write a review, but this place is phenomenal... My wife and I were down to DeLand to visit family and I took to TripAdvisor to pick a restaurant. We've been to the rest of the average dining in DeLand, and we missed this one somehow. I'm telling you this is the best meal I've had in 2013 so far, and my wife and I got out for $40 each, including tip and a bottle if wine. Plus after dinner we snuck over to DaVinci gardens that is right across the street for some live music. The service is fun, the food is local and somewhat organic, and the mix or the menu is fun and delicious. If I would have been standing I think the pork tacos would have made me collapse. Oh yeah, there are a total of 9 tables in the place, so call ahead. Ask for Robert to serve you, and you won't be disappointed.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank Charlie M

DeLand, Florida
“Excellent food at a moderate price”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

This is a small restaurant in downtown DeLand Florida. They have an interesting menu that is especially good for vegetarians. One dish that we had was a ricotta strudel that was excellent.The pastry was flaky with a tasty filling. The other was Jerk chicken. The server told us it was spicy.The heat level was just about what I expected . It was served with black beans. It was very good but as there was a lot of sauce, it might have been better to serve it with beans and rice.
Others have complained about slow service, but our servers were very efficient. Food came quickly and drinks refilled promptly. Dishes are moderately priced and portions and just right. Others that we spoke to at the restaurant had similar positive comments about their dishes.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank burtjerome
Mission Viejo, California
“Dinner”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We are from California visiting relatives in DeLand. Saturday night we had an excellent dinner at Dally in the Alley. A small but mighty restaurant. Best scallops I've had in a long time! In addition, I recommend the fried green tomatoes, and the ribeye (done perfectly to medium rare and the chili pepper, etc. sauce was a winner). Seasoning and sauces were unique on all dishes and provided an extra zing without being overpowering. We're looking forward to visiting this restaurant the next time we come to DeLand.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Harry H
sveetone12
“Pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I have had dinner at Dally in the Ally twice. And while they didn't get it right the first time, it was the service more than the food, but they have since then. We had a delightful dinner with excellent service the second time. I had a filet of beef that was cooked to perfection. My husband also had the filet of beef, but a smaller portion that was accompanied by absolutely perfect shrimp! The appetizers are interesting and very good, desserts are too. The chef/owner came to each table and greeted every patron. While the portions are not huge, that's ok, the prices are reasonable. They have a nice selection if wine and beer. It's a pleasant surprise to find this lovely little restaurant in DeLand. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. They will do everything to make your visit the best possible...

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank sveetone12
East Hampton, New York
“Unique Spot with Unique Food”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

What a wonderful find! A friend had recommended this quaint spot in DeLand that certainly did not disappoint! My husband and I love to sample fried green tomatoes when they are on the menu. The Dally version was a stack of three tomatoes with goat cheese in between each one. The remoulade sauce was delicious and the presentation beautiful. For dinner, I chose Cobia, which was a special for the evening. I have been wanting to try this fish that is only in FL waters for short times. It was pan seared and served over a brown and wild rice combination with broccoli that was one of the most flavorful rice dishes that I've ever had. My husband had short ribs, which were served with a fig, shallot, turnip, and merlot base that was divine. The setting is unique, with the building having served as a gas station and gallery in previous years. The service was attentive and our waitress was informative. All that we can say is, "Don't Dally! Go to the Alley!"

• Visited April 2013